Horn not working!!!!!!!

Adam

As the title says my horn doesn't work, I've bought and fitted a new horn in hope it was as easy as that but oh no it still doesn't work!! I've had a look at the wiring I can get too and everything looks as it should. I've even taken the instrument control bit apart and had a look at the connections in there and they're all good so I'm a bit stuck now, bikes MOT was due and has now run out because I can't fix this stupid horn!!!!!!

Any ideas?

Doesnt a horn have its own fuse supply? The normally do on cars ect, maybe you have tried that already?

Get your mulimeter or test light on the wiring to the horn to see if your geting power if not then start looking for obvious areas of chaffing or brittle wires as the wire may have broke inside insulation

Go to Maplins/similar and get a spring return switch.

Connect switch in line between the battery and horn.

Book and pass MOT.

Worry about horn problem later. :-)

This was my last resort plan, but I wasn't sure if that would pass the mot.. I'll give it a go though, might have to run some new wires for the horn eventually.

By the way what wire would I need? 3mm?

Nah, that's huge. I've used old speaker wire before - it's only on for a second or two so won't even have a chance to get slightly warm if it's on the small side. It is tempoorary after all. :-)

I once got through and MOT by shouting "BEEP" when the tester asked me to press the horn...

Yeah I was thinking of house wires haha! Got some 60amp wire and a switch from The Range for just over £5 fitted the switch to the handle bar and ran the wire direct from the battery to the switch and back down to the horn, now here's the interesting part when I used the existing earth wire the horn only just about worked AND my side light, neutral light and dash were lighting up (could've been more but they're what I noticed) they were only very dim but it's not good news. That means I've got a bad earth connection somewhere, I hate electrical problems! As a quick fix I've just earthed the horn to the frame and it works fine now, probably could've earthed it in the first place but oh well!

Now I've got the joys of finding it :(!!!

By the way what wire would I need? 3mm?

just for future reference you dont measure wire in mm you measure it in load IE how many amps :wink:

it does sound like you have a bad earth there wont be many earth connections on the bike probably one main one and a few places in the loom that will need a clean up

main culprits are where multi plugs are

get a wiring diagram :)

just make sure everything else works fine before you go for MOT like indicators with lights on too and also whilst holding the brake on :)

I'll try tightening up the main earth connection to the frame if that doesn't work I'll have to start searching. Took it in for its mot and it failed but only on stupid little things which were 1. Headlight needs adjusting. 2. Chain link clip wrong way round. Second one was my bad, but both are sorted now and I'm dropping the bike off before work and they're going to re mot it for free :D Andy (the owner) said he would've sorted both things himself if he had the time but he's super busy at the moment which is fair enough.

Top blokes over there at ABC Motorcycles in Norwich if anyone is local I highly recommend them.

Cheers for all the help again guys!

they cant be that great as it failed :lol: :lol:

you need to remove the earth and clean it up

I am betting its a rubbish connection somewhere on the loom and not the main earth otherwise you would have trouble starting etc :wink:

Funny you should say that, I have had trouble wit it starting. It's seems the battery is discharging by itself, the other day when I was doing something to it I noticed a buzzing noise which turned into a click noise which got faster and faster then stopped and after a few minute the cycle repeated itself. Ignition was off and I even flicked the kill switch but it was still doing it. I normally have to charge the battery once a week and if I don't it struggles to start the dash goes blank and it sounds terrible! Usually it starts though and then the next time I start it it's fine very strange!