So the sun's out and I'm thinking about eye protection. Two days I rode with my sunglasses under the helmet but it's not ideal. I'm thinking about getting a dark tinted visor.

Has anyone any experience with these? Do these visors work properly or they introduce glare, haze and other optical aberrations?

Thanks!

not allowed... tinted visors are illegal...

doesnt stop people using them though.

:twisted:

:stupid:

Have to say I've been pulled by a bike copper, but he backed off when l told him that l had my clear visor in the top box. He gave me a good stare and quoted that its got no kite mark and are there dangerous in the dark "never" Since then l've also seen bike cops using them, on bright days there a god send for me they rid the road of a lot of glare.

doesnt stop people using them though.

:twisted:

:stupid:

Have to say I've been pulled by a bike copper, but he backed off when l told him that l had my clear visor in the top box. He gave me a good stare and quoted that its got no kite mark and are there dangerous in the dark "never" Since then l've also seen bike cops using them, on bright days there a god send for me they rid the road of a lot of glare.

I ride with a clear visor and Polarised sunglasses. Polarised glasses really take out the glare.

They are worth every penny and they work great but don't get caught out in the dark

I have had one on all my helmet's for the last 10 years with no problems

I saw some clip-on glasses on Amazon. Thinking about getting a pair and fitting them on the helmet...

Not sure if that will work.

Dark visor still sounds like a good idea but I'd like a polarised one - I have polarised glasses and they are fantastic.

Not sure if anyone makes a polarised visor.

All options are on the table now...

I saw some clip-on glasses on Amazon. Thinking about getting a pair and fitting them on the helmet...

Not sure if that will work.

Dark visor still sounds like a good idea but I'd like a polarised one - I have polarised glasses and they are fantastic.

Not sure if anyone makes a polarised visor.

All options are on the table now...

Not quite... what about a helmet with internal sun visor...

my Caberg v2rr has an internal sun visor. They work better than any option in my opinion. Not uncomfy like sunglasses and no issues about darkness with a tinted visor. Gets rid of the glare only downside is in winter or cold mornings it steams up a little.

Just bought a caberg duke internal sun visor is great, would never buy one without one. and came with free pinlock insert so no steaming up either :D

+1 for internal sun visors. Flip it down with one finger when the sun comes out, release it with the press of a button when the clouds take over or you are going through tunnels or indeed, if it's getting gloomy.

Did I imagine it, or did I see a pinlock insert that was Photo reactive or whatever its called?

So it goes dark in sunlight and clear at night...

You naughty man, I don't believe that to be correct...

So long as it has a kitemark (E or BSI), has >50% light transmission, is used in daylight hours (30 mins before/after sunrise/sunset) and not used in times of "reduced visibility" then you're golden.

It's a sod carrying a spare clear visor - pinlock is probably easier.

Ooh, has anyone tried the PinLock Protec TINT inserts? The UV reactive jobbies.

I think I'll go the route of "protectint" pinlock insert. This way I can have the shade and avoid the steaming as well. I ride early in the morning and in the evenings and steaming up is an issue at times. especially when it rains.

I've ridden in the past with a tinted visor and tinted pinlock insert 8-)

Add that to a clear visor and clear pinlock and you have a range of tint options :wink:

If you use tinted visors always carry a clear one . You can normally carry it round your waist under your jacket if you have no where else to stash it while riding

I'm currently considering purchasing a HJC with internal sun visor

The internal sun visor in my agv is garbage and makes matters worse when riding in the sun, on the other hand the internal visor in my new shoei is excellent and wouldn't be without it

The internal sun visor in my agv is garbage and makes matters worse when riding in the sun, on the other hand the internal visor in my new shoei is excellent and wouldn't be without it

Is that the shoei GT-air? I'm planning to get one soon.. How do you find it?

Is that the shoei GT-air? I'm planning to get one soon.. How do you find it?

yes it is mate , it's by far the best helmet I've owned

very quiet / great fit and the vents seem to actually work!

I'm currently considering purchasing a HJC with internal sun visor

I use an HJC IS17 with internal visor. No problems and works well, easy to operate. Does steam up when static on colder weather though.

In this country, with the sun low in the sky for long periods of time in the morning and evening, I think an internal sun visor is essential, however, they vary in effectiveness. The ones on my Cabergs have been good, the Shark Evoline is excellent and the AVG K3 OK. The K3 does not cover the eyes so well and it is not dark enough.

I always use them on bright days. My commute is straight into the sun both ways and I,m more blinded without one. Never been pulled over, but there's always a first. Avoid tunnels with them as well, fi pit up just before you go through

I rode yesterday for the first time with an internal sun visor. It was a great feeling.

I've always just used my sun glasses and never had any problems with them, but having ridded with an internal visor I'm now hooked.

Hard to explain, but its like all these years I've been somehow resticring my senses and limiting my field of view with glasses, and now with the internal visor I have maximum visibility with no glare.