Strange engine noise when engine slowing down.

Dav3y

Hi folks,

I'm not sure if it's me being paranoid or whether it's normal but I've noticed a very faint noise coming from the engine when rolling off the throttle/slowing down. It's almost like a clattering noise and it does it when the bike is in Neutral on the stand as well as slowing down on the road.

The 12000 mile service is coming up shortly and wondering could it be the engine oil starting to deteriorate or could it be slackness on the cam chain ?

Engine sounds and runs fine on the power and fuel economy is unchanged since I got the bike so a little curious as to what it could be. I'm fairly sure this is only a recent thing though and don't recall such a sound when I got the bike.

Greatfull for any opinions but might get it checked if I get the bike shop to do my upcoming service.

Thanks for backing up my initial thoughts. Maybe it needs a good ragging around as it doesn't get driven hard at all. Just daily commuting and occasional weekend ride out.

Think i'll get some new oil and filter and then go from there. I'm pretty sure this upcoming service requires oil/filter change anyway. The level is good and the oil is a little dark but certainly far from what I'd consider dirty.

Maybe a bit of throttle flicking might convince the adjuster to do something or failing that something goes bang. Either way i'll find out the problem :)

Noticed the noise only occurs when the engine is up to temp. Can't hear it at all when it's cold.

Just ordered a filter and oil to see if it's going to do the job. Strange thing is though I've seen a couple of vids on youtube of oil changes on an XJ6 at 3000 and 11500 miles and the oil looked black. My oil is nothing like black so I'm still not sure.

Will have to wait and see what happens at the weekend.

Cam chain is cold when it starts, the metal then warms and expands and it rattles. Simples :thumb:

Wait to see if it goes away when the cam chain tensioner moves a click, it sounds like it's doing its job still as if it went up a click and the chain went cold again it could be too tight on start ups which just leads to more wear!

The engine picks up odd noises as it gets older, mainly as things get a little looser but still within tolerance.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying and it's probably irritating me more as I was just about to put it up for sale or part ex subject to a test ride on a new bike. Just wouldn't want to be selling it if there's something wrong with it.

Hoping the magic oil might do the job and if not maybe I keep both bikes for a bit if I get the other bike.

Hi,

I had this recently. When decelerating or revving in neutral the bike would clatter and sound like an out of balance washing machine.... U could feel the vibrations too!

Turned out to be a loose engine mounting bolt. Tightened it up and all was good again.

Cheers,

IM