bandit carbs/suspension tuning

Donnie Brasco

So being an automotive student I had access to dyno jet rolling road(by giving the technician biscuits lol). we've had had the bandit for a run,now this bike was all standard all round,the result was a noticeable flat spot at lower end of the rpm,after some thoughts we discovered this is happening at the transition from pilot to main jets,the air/fuel mixture was also near enough off the scale lean.Apparently they come out of the factory on the lean side in order to meet the EU emission regulations.

I had a look round for jetting kits,dynojet kits were ridiculously dear,so after some looking I found an engineering firm in the stares called 'sigma'. After having chat and discussing the bike they came up with stage 1 jets(cant remember the sizes off the top of my head). When I had them fitted,carbs were also balanced, we then took it for a run on dyno and that flat spot has disappeared and the power/torque delivery was consistent across the range, Although it is a bit on the rich side now(see graph),I might put standard jets on my outter cylinders or try direct replacement k&n but as it stands it had really transformed the bike especially at low rpm were we use it most commuting. I think the jets came at around £50 probably less than half the price of dyno jet,I can certainly recommend them to fellow bikers,look them up on ebay.

While I was there I rebuilt my brake calipers fitting inner and dust seals which kinda improved the braking but more importantly as you guys might know bandits are known for soft bouncy front end so to make it better I purchased hagon progressive forks,that really made a big difference to the handling of this motor especially when cornering and under hard braking.

http://s16.postimg.org/xshk1ni4l/SUZUKI_BANDIT_RUN_2.png

pic host

http://s29.postimg.org/n3pyki4mv/IMG_0174.jpg

pic host

http://s30.postimg.org/mz2sbun1d/IMG_0175.jpg

imgurl

Dude, that's the bizzo! I'd give someone else's left nut to have dymo time for some biscuits. :-)

That's a cracking power curve you've got - are you sure you didn't make it up? ;-)

top work donnie

but I have to say that "jet kits" are a bit hit and miss and it sounds like you got lucky

jets can be had for a couple of quid each then its a case of fine tuning the needles and needle heights :wink:

lighter needles and different taper can make a massive difference I would try a small washer under each needle and see if that flat spot goes :) although you may need a smaller jet if you raise the needle height

Mr fro, Biscuits for us is a terminology for fine Whiskey ha

If I was gonna make it up I would made up the max power output too ;)

With regards to consumption as I recall it does about 40mpg urban as opposed to 46 before then it's a small price for having usable power n no flat spots ;)

Stu,that's exactly what we did before considering jetting we put washers n raised the needles after a few experiments in ran like a bag of poo,the current set up is with jets only I didn't put washers in as I think it'll richen up n it's a tad on the rich side as it is,also the fuel mixture screws are set as manual suggests which I think is 2 n 1/4 turn

interesting!

got to admit the A/F is a bit up and down but the line is really smooth

I dont think a filter would help I would just leave it as is

PS how many biscuits is it going to cost me to get mine set up :lol: :lol:

I would be more than happy to offer a bottle or two of the finest Scotch "biscuits" for some free time on a dyno you lucky sod!

I've not bought a kit - I just get a load of jets and dick about a bit.

Like Stu says, the curve is spot on so I wouldn't tit about with it much more.

I still think it's running a bit rich mate, as per the fuel consumption. Find out what jets are in it and I'll see if I have one or two sizes smaller?

Can't find pilot sizes but mains are: 97.5 on outter and 100 on inner cylinders alan.what do you think about the graph?

The dyno man suggested going with standard jets on te outter which are 92s,soneone else said sticking a direct replacement k&n will obviously increase flow n even things out

Power and torque curves look very good, but A/F ratio curve is showing too rich above 5000 revs. That's main jets. Not sure why you need different on inners? Try smaller, say 95s all around. I don't have any that small I'm afraid. If you're happy with bike, leave it, but it has gone very thirsty. What jets were in before?

interesting!

got to admit the A/F is a bit up and down but the line is really smooth

I dont think a filter would help I would just leave it as is

PS how many biscuits is it going to cost me to get mine set up :lol: :lol:

Just need to get yourself a 'blandit' first Stu!

:popcorn:

Btw that little spoiler on the mra screen really makes a difference on the motorways,I might just leave it as it is or get a bit more technical. forged pistons,high lift cams,play with ignition timing,advancer...?hrmmm :roll: nah too much hastle when I could just buy a b12 :shock: