Just found out my jacket leaks like a sieve!

Hey,

Just took my bike for a ride in the rain for the first time at motorway speed, did this on purpose because I start commuting on it in a couple of weeks and wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna get too cold and or soaked.

Got 6 miles and was drenched, every zip, including the air vent ones which were shut, let water straight through, and by time I got home water was coming straight through the material.

Its an oxford textile jacket and I'm gonna be taking it back.

So any suggestions for a replacement jacket which will keep me dry(ish)?

Also, what's the best way to stop water beading on my visor? Seen suggestions for everything from white vinegar to furniture polish, what works best in an experienced riders opinion?

Cheers :)

Hey,

Just took my bike for a ride in the rain for the first time at motorway speed, did this on purpose because I start commuting on it in a couple of weeks and wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna get too cold and or soaked.

Got 6 miles and was drenched, every zip, including the air vent ones which were shut, let water straight through, and by time I got home water was coming straight through the material.

Its an oxford textile jacket and I'm gonna be taking it back.

So any suggestions for a replacement jacket which will keep me dry(ish)?

Also, what's the best way to stop water beading on my visor? Seen suggestions for everything from white vinegar to furniture polish, what works best in an experienced riders opinion?

Cheers :)

IME experience (and I have a lot of it riding in the rain) unless you spend tons of money, get a waterproof over jacket like the Spada 912 unlined for about £40.

As for the visor, Nickwax Visor Proof spray for about £6 lasts the longest, which is still only a few trips per application. It makes the water bead and then the wind blows it off.

IME experience (and I have a lot of it riding in the rain) unless you spend tons of money, get a waterproof over jacket like the Spada 912 unlined for about £40.

As for the visor, Nickwax Visor Proof spray for about £6 lasts the longest, which is still only a few trips per application. It makes the water bead and then the wind blows it off.

My trousers are spada come to think of it, and nothing came through them, so if the jackets are as good quality they should be sound.

I'll have a look at the Nickwax spray, It got pretty dangerous tbh with my visor the way it was, the water was going into beads, but they were not running off, even at fairly high speed, and also the fine mist coming off other cars just stuck to it like glue!!!

Thanks for the advice :D

I bought a waterproof onsie from m and p direct off ebay for 20 quid..havnt tried it but taking that and leathers round Europe....

I know it would be annoying for commuting but could be worth a look at

Waterproof waterproofs are the Holy Grail......I've heard they exist....but never seen them.... :wink:

I got a secondhand Rukka jacket, which should be good in the wet.....so have a look at that kind of thing also..... 8-)

There's a small rubber blade on the left thumb of some gloves for clearing your visor but turning your head also works well.

I have a Triumph textile jacket that i bought for £35 a few years ago - thats about as close as you can get to waterproof and its been challenged a few times

Waterproof waterproofs are the Holy Grail......I've heard they exist....but never seen them.... :wink:

I got a secondhand Rukka jacket, which should be good in the wet.....so have a look at that kind of thing also..... 8-)

I've got a jacket that work gave me. I rode to work and back today in the pissing rain and I was dry as a bone.

No armour though ;-)

Cheers for the suggestions guys,

I did try turning my head a few different ways while riding, but the droplets seemed to be stuck like glue to the visor, and the fine mist from the lorries wasn't shifting either, and when wiped with the shammy bit on my glove just smeared across it, so I think I will try that spray.

I understand that when your on a bike in hard rain, your not gonna stay 100% dry, but when you are soaked after only 12 miles in a jacket that says waterproof there is something wrong I think, because I'm not saying I had a couple of damp patches, I wrung my shirt out when I got home, it absolutely p$%^&d through it lol, I was drier after the ice bucket challenge. The tops of my shoulders and my back were dry though, so that is something :? although the shoulder armour was damp. So the jacket is is going back, and Ill look at getting another one.

I plan on getting a new jacket at some point as mine is damaged and not that great for water proofing.

Thought i carry a thin plastic waterproof jacket in my rucksack, no weight or space and sling it over if it's real bad. Stay dry as can be in that =) Cheap solution to an expensive problem.

You have seen one! My Hein Gerike gortex jacket and trousers. They have never leaked.

Cheers for the suggestions guys,

I did try turning my head a few different ways while riding, but the droplets seemed to be stuck like glue to the visor, and the fine mist from the lorries wasn't shifting either, and when wiped with the shammy bit on my glove just smeared across it, so I think I will try that spray.

I understand that when your on a bike in hard rain, your not gonna stay 100% dry, but when you are soaked after only 12 miles in a jacket that says waterproof there is something wrong I think, because I'm not saying I had a couple of damp patches, I wrung my shirt out when I got home, it absolutely p$%^&d through it lol, I was drier after the ice bucket challenge. The tops of my shoulders and my back were dry though, so that is something :? although the shoulder armour was damp. So the jacket is is going back, and Ill look at getting another one.

Your visor needs a good clean if the droplets do not clear. Get some soapy water and paper towel, soak the paper towel and lay it across the visor and leave. That will clear muck without rubbing in minute scratches.

I'll be honest my Armr textile jacket when I bought it was brilliant. Got caught in a few downpours and I was bone dry underneath, I however made the fatefull error and put it in the wash and washed all the waterproofing out of it so like yesterday I got drenched. I bought some stuff to put in the wash to re waterproof it so I'll try that and see how it goes. Gortex is aparantly the best you can buy but never had any experience. As for oxford I can't trust any of their stuff that says waterproof, my leather summer gloves let less water in

Cheapest solution is a waterproof over suit to go over whatever you have now. Downside is they aren't breathable and you can sweat inside.

It can be a bit hit and miss with mid range price gear. Some does what it claims to, others don't.

The likes of Rukka do the job but come at a price many consider to high. After years of accumulating "Bargains" that never worked I went over to Rukka about 10 years ago. Expensive but my first suit including the Rukka Steel jacket still keeps me warm and dry to this day. More surprising is it still fits, just.

It doesn't matter how good or expensive any of the gear is, if you don't keep it clean it will leak and not be able to breath properly, even expensive materials such as Goretex.

I use Nikwax Products. Nikwax Tech Wash does a decent job of cleaning without stripping off the waterproofing. It even extends the effectiveness. About every 4 washes I use the Nikwax TX Wash in to re proof. All done in the washing machine.

Actually, my old Belstaff waxed cotton jacket and trousers never leaked......wish I still had them......but they didn't have armour in them.....hadn't been invented then..... :wink:

My parents got me a Belstaff jacket, trousers and some motocross boots for my 18th.

I loved that jacket. It had the proper blue tartan Harrington style lining IIRC.

Pretty sure i have in my drawers at home a full body waterproof overall thing. Will check the size (think it's a large? i'm 6'0 and 16 stone it's a bit to small to do up) If you want it you're welcome to it for a little forum donation if and postage cost.

Recently I have spent more money on better gear and to be honest I have found that most gear no matter how good carry's the water to a degree and therefore makes the item heavy and cold.

spada do some light jackets that are not bad

walking over trousers wear out then leak a lot and even my £100 alpine star drystar gloves get weight.

The solution I have found is basically keep the water off you and for that I turn to workwear.

trousers

flexothane overtrousers £15 from granite workwear website. stretchy with zip expansion at the ankles very

heavy duty bright orange with reflective strips which is great in bad weather.

BOOTS

Dunlop rigger boots £18 sportsdirect.

got them yesterday tried putting them in the sink but hard to keep them down tried them in the bath and nothing went through. if they wear out I can buy 7 pairs for the price of a ok set of bike boots. (beware they are capped)

GLOVES

Tucan muffs not pretty but will allow you to wear any gloves and keep you dry and warm

JACKET

I actually have a brand new spade Dakar that get rave reviews but I brought the wrong size so dieting to fit. if that fails

I will go with removing the winter liner and putting a flexothane work jacket over the top.

workwear is cheap strong and is instantly 100% waterproof and cost a fraction of the serious spend to get fully waterproof gear. you should still wear protection underneath though

Actually, my old Belstaff waxed cotton jacket and trousers never leaked......wish I still had them......but they didn't have armour in them.....hadn't been invented then..... :wink:

I have just bought a Richa Bonneville wax cotton jacket, it has a waterproof membrane and back, shoulder and elbow armour and is a copy of the belstaff trial master jacket. It's a great bit of kit but I haven't tried the waterproofing yet!

Ixon tresorous jacket and Alpinestars Drystar express trousers. Keep me dry even if it rains for my entire 6 hour shift.

For the visor just get a glove with the built in wiper blade thingy, not perfect but better than nothing. Sprays aren't worth the money.

I bought jacket and trouser waterproof set for £20 from ghostbikes in Preston. Been out in rain around 3 hours in constant rain and not seeped anywhere. Dry as a bone. Best waterproofs I ever owned.

Can tell you make later when I get home if interested