driving lessons

mealexme

I'm venturing over to the dark side of motoring and looking at getting some car driving lessons. I've been putting it off for the past couple of years, and was hoping to put it off until I move out of my parents house (withing the next 2-3 years hopefully), but the reality is, I want to stop riding the CBR through the winter, especially through the salt on the roads (don't get me wrong, I won't be a fair weather rider) and the more NCB I have when I move out, the less money I will have to spend on insurance.

Anyway, I'm being bought them for me for a birthday present and want to know if anyone has gone from riding a motorcycle to driving a car? I've been riding for over 5 years and to be honest I have a few bad habits, but I know what they and they shouldn't be an issue when driving a car.

How long should I expect it to take before I can take my test? I believe the average is 30 hours, but what percentage of that is getting used to the car and what percent is getting used to road signs/traffic etc?

Obviously I can already deal with traffic, and in theory know how to drive a car (although I've never done it before, I know where all the buttons/stalks/pedals are and what they do) so has anyone had experience from riding a bike first, to doing their car lessons, and how long it would take?

not me specifically, but Chira has only ever ridden, and recently did a days karting... says it was difficult getting used to the right foot accelerating, as shes used to it being for braking :shock:

im guessing that went wrong a few times :lol: :lol:

A mate of mine went from riding to driving, he had 8 hours of lessons and passed straight away. My misses is learning to drive and she's had 20 hours and is ready for her test and she's never been on the road before.

It all depends on how you get on with the switch over, it's all the same just in different places which will probably be the hardest bit to get used too. And don't forget whilst you're in the car you can't filter!!! Don't think the examiner would be too happy with a scratched up car ;)

The best person to be asking is your Driving Instructor ( I'm an ex DI for over 10 years)

You already have the road craft so the biggest part for you is learning to control the car.

You will 'feel' right inside the car at first and will probably not read traffic situations correctly as all your focus will be on the controls.

That will go eventually and you will feel yourself looking further from the car as your muscle memory develops. You will know exactly what I mean when you experience this.

Get cracking on your theory again and get that out the way ASAP. You can then concentrate on the practical lessons.

Good luck.

brilliant, thanks!

I'll get a 10 hour block booked then and go from there. I'm not too worried about the theory, I've done a few online theories since passing, just to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything and have passed every time. Obviously I'll still do some revision for it, but hopefuly it won't be a hurdle for me :)

I rode a bike when I was 16 then booked 12 hours car lessons at 17.

From turning 17 to passing I did it in 2 and a half months. I used to do 2 hours of lessons at a time :thumb:

Passed easily.

You just get in, realise left foot does clutch, right foot braking and accelerating, and when not changing gears both hands on the wheel.

For me I just got used to the size of the car (ford focus, which is big for a learner), learned the observations to make and how to do the manoeuvres. And that was it!

It's a piece of piss to drive a car as Joeman says :lol:

and when not changing gears both hands on the wheel.

I dont even use both hands on the bike when changing gear. Urg.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm kinda looking forward to it. It'l actually cut my commuting time over the winter too. (takes 7 mins to get to work, and an extra 5 for getting changed at either end.

I've heard there is big difference between dry and wet clutches? (ie car and bike)

I think the one thing I'm most worried about is the width. With the bike I don't even think about it, I can fit through pretty much anything. Someone elses car though... I s'pose that's what lessons are for though

and when not changing gears both hands on the wheel.

I dont even use both hands on the bike when changing gear. Urg.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm kinda looking forward to it. It'l actually cut my commuting time over the winter too. (takes 7 mins to get to work, and an extra 5 for getting changed at either end.

I've heard there is big difference between dry and wet clutches? (ie car and bike)

I think the one thing I'm most worried about is the width. With the bike I don't even think about it, I can fit through pretty much anything. Someone elses car though... I s'pose that's what lessons are for though

Yes, don't drag the clutch on the car nearly the same way you do on the bike, that's the quick way to a new clutch and a big bill.

I did almost an entire lesson when learning to drive (which I did first, for info) on a hill holding it on the clutch and rolling it back and forth inches at a time to get a feel for it.

Rather proud of myself next time I was out in the car with my dad I did the same thing to show him... and nearly gave him a nervous break down :lol:

First bike lesson after I did my CBT I went for an assessment ride. First thing my instructor said to me when we got back was "How long you been driving?" saying I used the clutch too much like a car, when I started letting it out I carried on letting it out, I didn't drag it at all.

I rode bikes for years before learning to drive a car........it was a very strange experience.......and, at first, my instructor had several heart stopping moments when I forgot that I had a few feet of metalwork to my left side as I aimed for a gap as if I was on my bike....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I rode bikes for years before learning to drive a car........it was a very strange experience.......and, at first, my instructor had several heart stopping moments when I forgot that I had a few feet of metalwork to my left side as I aimed for a gap as if I was on my bike....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ditto :lol: The thing that annoyed me most about my driving lessons (I had 16) half way through them the cost increased from £1.50 to £1.60. Whilst on my driving lessons my instructor without fail used to smoke a pipe and wouldn't let me have the windows open :evil:

Ditto :lol: The thing that annoyed me most about my driving lessons (I had 16) half way through them the cost increased from £1.50 to £1.60. Whilst on my driving lessons my instructor without fail used to smoke a pipe and wouldn't let me have the windows open :evil:

Ah 1947 was a good year for you then? :twisted:

you will do good. Conversion won't be as bad as you think

I'm starting mine after Xmas.