polite hi vis

Stu

<t>Polite hi vis tosser or not?</t>  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Polite hi vis tosser or not?

• tosser
    • non tosser

my god this is really very simple....they believe, quite possibly wrongly, that having the word polite on the back gives them yet another layer of protection from the bad motorist. Furthermore just because you have seen the odd idiot panic doesn't mean that everyone, or the majority does.

but all it takes is one idiot to panic and you're dead :wink:

oh actually the "polite" will save your life damn I forgot about that :roll:

oh I haven't seen the odd person panic I have seen a lot! I merely gave 1 example

tell you what Stu...I'll save some time and effort....YOU ARE COMPLETELY RIGHT AS ALWAYS....and I, of course am completely wrong...you win, please collect your prize, oh there isnt one well I'm sure you must feel great to have brow beaten someone who simply disagreed with you...well done

there you go :)

Edited by acting_strange

Cant say Ive ever seen one of these tops being worn out on the road.. just photos on the web.. and, incredibly - a quick look on eBay just turned up 80+ results.

including more than a few horse riders... are these 'accidents waiting to happen" too?

http://i.imgur.com/yylpLqo.jpg

Cant say Ive ever seen one of these tops being worn out on the road.. just photos on the web.. and, incredibly - a quick look on eBay just turned up 80+ results.

including more than a few horse riders... are these 'accidents waiting to happen" too?

Possibly, without the jacket if you go around a blind bend on a 40-50mph road and come across a horse, you might slow but the guy behind you might not and come around the bend at speed limit and not be able to stop in time. Obviously this has nothing to do with the jacket.

The guys we are discussing are on bikes, not horses, as we made no mention it's safe to assume they aren't the issue!

Also to Derek, Stu is right in this instance, as he drives for a living and can support a majority view it's safe to assume he is. The majority isn't what makes him right, it's his experience. Which given I have seen you advocate for more training and building experience should actually lend you towards agreeing.

Why can't people be nice :scratch:

I've never seen them out and about either tbh. Only place i saw them was one bloke at orwells waiting for his service. and selling them at last years excel motorbike show.

I'd be intrigued to see what the Police would think if you went one further and made a full "POLITE" Pan European...? Looking at you, Phil - just need some lettering stickers and some neon paint :P

there is one round here without the lights

its white and all painted up or stickered up he wears a white helmet and high vis but no polite on that!

he rides like a total nob in rush hour traffic

Everyone is entitled to their opinion......but, let's keep it from getting personal folks.... :roll:

My personal opinion is that I have nothing against hi-viz....don't wear it myself, but respect that others may wish to.......I just think that the Polite thing is an unnecessary step, and seeing it too often on the road could devalue the effectiveness of the Police hi-viz.....but, this is my personal opinion.... :wink:

no one is "impersonating" a police officer by wearing a hi viz vest with "Polite" on it....if they were then quite simply they would be prosecuted as it is an offence.

No, not impersonating the police (that would be illegal), but you have to wonder about the choice of the word "POLITE" - its a bit of a random word to have written on your back...

If i was about safety, they would have something more appropriate written on their backs such as "SLOW DOWN" or "THINK BIKE", but they dont... they pick seemingly random word.

So is this a coincidence that at a glance, their seemingly random, unrelated word just happens to look like the word "POLICE"? no of course not!

Wearing a "POLITE" jacket is not about safety, its a deliberate attempt to mislead other road users into mistaking the wearer for the police.

no one is "impersonating" a police officer by wearing a hi viz vest with "Polite" on it....if they were then quite simply they would be prosecuted as it is an offence.

No, not impersonating the police (that would be illegal), but you have to wonder about the choice of the word "POLITE" - its a bit of a random word to have written on your back...

If i was about safety, they would have something more appropriate written on their backs such as "SLOW DOWN" or "THINK BIKE", but they dont... they pick seemingly random word.

So is this a coincidence that at a glance, their seemingly random, unrelated word just happens to look like the word "POLICE"? no of course not!

Wearing a "POLITE" jacket is not about safety, its a deliberate attempt to mislead other road users into mistaking the wearer for the police.

A valid point, but the original design didn't catch on for some reason...

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.8d66b32f19e8331d48f1e43de6f5909e.jpg

I'd be intrigued to see what the Police would think if you went one further and made a full "POLITE" Pan European...? Looking at you, Phil - just need some lettering stickers and some neon paint :P

I would do it and pull people over, and go up to their window, ask why they pulled over... just for fun and get it all on video :lol:

On another note, acting_strange, you are acting very... strange :lol:

And on another note - and this is the real funny one! ...

I'm riding to work and I see someone wearing a high vis vest. Immediately a thought of this thread but then as I got closer, I saw there was chequered white and blue stripes on it, I couldn't see his back at this point but when I got closer, I could see it was a POLITE one - but he must have seen this thread or something because the POLITE was cut out hahaha. He knew it made him look like a plonka so he took it off!!! bahahaha.

We can hope while they are not paying attention to the road either because they are trying to get a good shot of someone speeding, or feeling high and mighty in his polite jacket that they end up going into the back of someone...

What type of innocent road user are you hoping they go into the back of? A motorist, motorcyclist or pedestrian?

Dislike their choice of jacket if you like, but hoping that they injure others is a step too far.

We can hope while they are not paying attention to the road either because they are trying to get a good shot of someone speeding, or feeling high and mighty in his polite jacket that they end up going into the back of someone...

What type of innocent road user are you hoping they go into the back of? A motorist, motorcyclist or pedestrian?

Dislike their choice of jacket if you like, but hoping that they injure others is a step too far.

Well, cutting my post down taking that bit out of context, that would appear to be going too far.

But I said I don't wish him "too harmed", implying I want his pride harmed, not him physically harmed. The very next sentence outlines this.

A light bump into the back of a car at a roundabout perhaps, with the outcome being no damage to anyone else but the riders pride... I thought this made it quite clear as a satirical remark, wanting a rider like that to make a mistake without harming anyone aside from greatly denting his pride... There's better chances of him winning the lotto!

Also to Derek, Stu is right in this instance, as he drives for a living and can support a majority view it's safe to assume he is. The majority isn't what makes him right, it's his experience. Which given I have seen you advocate for more training and building experience should actually lend you towards agreeing.

Why can't people be nice :scratch:

I'm sorry mate..I didn't realise that my having driven everything from a moped, JCB, 7.5 ton and minibuses for a living ... not forgetting the car of course alongside the riding a bike for 40+ years means I dont have any driving experience....course not...wow...I need to surrender my licence immediately...

Fozzie I have managed to survive more than one near death experience on both bikes and in cars, I have also raced on 4 wheels...so please don't try to imply that I know nothing about bike or car driving.....

Or maybe you would also like me to ...hang on I will...

WELL DONE FOZZIE..YOU TOO HAVE WON...please go collect your prize.....or look in the mirror and smile because you have won the arguement/debate....well done that man.....there does that make you feel better.....sigh

I'm wondering how long before this post gets locked o.o

Think people need to chill a bit, this is just peoples opinions and thoughts unfortunately people have different opinions and people don't like that! But let's not start making enemies here.

:3some:

I'm wondering how long before this post gets locked o.o

Think people need to chill a bit, this is just peoples opinions and thoughts unfortunately people have different opinions and people don't like that! But let's not start making enemies here.

:3some:

Opinions are not a problem.....backing them up with evidence other than...."its shit"...."they are w**kers" is....IMO

but it no longer matters as Stu and Fozzie have won the arguement.....please offer congratulations if it is felt necessary....being right doesnt matter as long as you win the arguement....and they have both won....is that a draw???

I'm sorry mate..I didn't realise that my having driven everything from a moped, JCB, 7.5 ton and minibuses for a living ... not forgetting the car of course alongside the riding a bike for 40+ years means I dont have any driving experience....course not...wow...I need to surrender my licence immediately...

Fozzie I have managed to survive more than one near death experience on both bikes and in cars, I have also raced on 4 wheels...so please don't try to imply that I know nothing about bike or car driving.....

WELL DONE FOZZIE..YOU TOO HAVE WON...please go collect your prize.....or look in the mirror and smile because you have won the arguement/debate....well done that man.....there does that make you feel better.....sigh

Last chance, I'm trying to just discuss this, and this latest rant is the most off topic yet.

1. You have not produced one calm, counter argument, you've just ranted.

2. How does all that experience have any relevance to "polite" jackets on the road? They've only been around a year so we have equal experience of them if anything.

3. I never implied you know nothing, point out where I did... I actually just agreed with Stu as he deals with it more day to day than the rest of us. Do you still drive for a living?

4. This is not a competition, I've said repeatedly it's a discussion. You have taken it as such, so see my previous comment on being the source of negativity. You've made this some kind of pissing contest, and I really don't want it to be.

You clearly aren't calm, and are now just being offensive. If you can't have a discussion, don't reply or don't come on the forum.

Can we get back on topic now?

Last chance,

don't come on the forum.

Wow...I'm sorry Fozzie I didn't know you were one of the moderators and had the right to throw me off the forum....

oh and BTW YOU were the one that was patronising.....but frankly I could give a rats arse for any opinion that comes from yourself....simply becuse your opinions do not come with evidence....when you provide ebvidence that the wearing of a hi viz jacket with "polite" written on the back is a bad thing for motorcyclists I will listen to you until then...nope sorry...

I couldn't care less if a person wears hi viz or not, with or without poliute written on it, that is their personal choice. However I do object to people who just slag someone else off for simply doing what they believe to be right,ergo wearing this stuff makes you a tosser.....simply No it doesnt....but as I have said...you win....

Never said I could throw you off, simply made a suggestion "last chance" refers to my last attempt to actually *just* talk this out. Don't butcher my posts and take things out of context, nor continue to call me patronising when I explained I said calm down as your off-topic rant seemed angry and it's just a discussion.

My evidence was personal experience... If that means nothing so do your 40+ years. Sorry.

If I can't slag off someone from a safety point of view, you can't when someone pushes past you on the road.

I don't win anything, nor was it ever an objective.

I'm not taking part in this discussion, if you won't go, I will. Not feeding the troll.