RST Gear.. Any Good?

Hi all,

Just some general advice really on people who have owned RST gear and what they think of using it as a daily commuter in all weather.

Currently use a full set of frank thomas textiles / boots, gloves helmet etc and all are starting to show a bit of wear and tear, so thought it was a good idea to spend a bit more money over a longer period (as opposed to buying all in one go) and get an "upgrade" as opposed to more cheap gear.

Any advice mainly the following;

- RST Blade Jacket / Trousers

- RST Trachtech Evo Boots

- RST Blade Gloves (Waterproof)

All the above is waterproof and has a removable thermal lining that is meant to be suitable for the winter commute, any other advantages?

&. Also if anyone has any advice on the AGV K3/K4 (regular or SV) or know of a similar helmet for around £150.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

I find RST gear excellent. Myself and my other half have a several pieces of gear from them and cannot fault them.

I have a blade leather jacket which is great. I've been looking at the blade textile jeans and they look quite good but never got round to purchasing them.

Sportsbikeshop is a great place for reviews and fantastic customer service they are pretty well priced too.

Love the RST leathers. i have the pro series jacket and its a great fit, and feels very sturdy with removable thermal layers.

Phil_Young wears all RST waterproofs, and he's out in all weather conditions so it cant be bad!

Sportsbikeshop is a great place for reviews and fantastic customer service they are pretty well priced too.

I found their ebay store and started comparing prices between them and my local J&S, only major difference I can see between the two is J&S don't stock the RST Sport Waterproof glove.

Sadly their not closer to me otherwise I'd happily empty my account on their range.

Thankyou both :thumb:

Cant really comment on the rst but from what i hear they good eggs.

The agv k3 i had as my last helmet, quite warm in the cold nd great airflow in hot, good vis for a sportbike, comfy and fitted me well but head shapes vary, and saved my head when i went down, still looks servicable but as we know its the damage inside that counts so its now just an ornament. And they look cool as hell

I have RST jacket, trousers, and gloves.

Can't fault them after two years riding all year round and they're still in one piece, the waterproofing does wear off after a while so you need to reapply a spray version which is about £6. Mine both have the thermal lining which is great however on really cold days I'd suggest another layer underneath -1 at 60 is a lot colder than you think! I've melted mine on my down pipes on the knees and legs which I've sewn up and it's holding nicely.

All in all they're good value for money and id highly recommend them.

and saved my head when i went down

The whole one shot use of helmets is the reason I went cheap for my first set, although the poor visor opening mechanism and overall design (wind noise) flaws mean I'd rather invest more this time around and just be more careful with the helmet as a whole, indeed head shape plays a factor and not all fit all people so defiantly going to try on before I buy (as in any case).

Sportbikeshop sell the Rossi K3 for £119 and J&S website states £174 so defiantly some saving to be done there.

I only currently ride a 125cc and not a sports bike.. the full set of "race style" textiles might look a little silly for now but if they last years then I'd say it's a worthwhile investment (sure as hell makes a change from the 3< months I've had my current set).

on really cold days I'd suggest another layer underneath

I'd really love to reach 60mph on my 125 however don't drive in any 60 zones and also seem to have invested in a chinese brand that has the top speed of an old persons electric scooter (not complaining, love it.. just not the fastest), and overall I share you expierence I've commuted through the worst of the winter and often pull up to work wondering how I've made it with frozen hands.

Jeans and or work trousers, a hoodie as well as a thin under-glove is my current deterrent to attempting to freeze to death, trying either the jacket and the trousers will soon tell me if they feel like an upgrade, although from the reviews it sounds like a solid investment.

Thankyou all for your input and advice.

Phil_Young wears all RST waterproofs, and he's out in all weather conditions so it cant be bad!

Only thing is... they're not water proof :lol: :lol: :lol:

I should probably buy some water proofing spray.

I wear BLADE. They are very comfortable and good quality (unless you have a ferret that loves to bite into them!).

Don't think I'll buy black leathers for the summer as they are quite stylish anyway.

Went out for a quick trip to J&S to try them on and get all my sizes.

Purchased the trousers that I desperately needed (broken sip letting water in on current pair), and also ticket another one of the list by getting the (a little more expensive) blade waterproof gloves (ft. my ironing board);

http://s12.postimg.org/qekknn3f1/IMG_2364.jpg

Had to carry the trousers in the bag so yet to test them, but after putting them on over a pair of jeans they're very snug takes some convincing to get over (probably because they're new) but feel very tight (not to tight) and comfortable, multi locking.. first a zip.. then velcro and then another strap that loops through on the waist to secure all in all a steal (from what I can tell all for £100 (£99.99, same difference).

Used the gloves on the way home with an under glove (as usual) felt comfortable although a little tricky to use (could just be because they're new) however I'm yet to wear them in and get used to them so it's hard to give feedback on them, probably going to ride without the under glove and test the warmness and general comfort, protection on the knuckles look well constructed and has protection on the wrist and palm, tops of fingers etc, all in all (despite I paid a little more because of J&S) a very nice looking glove.

Time will tell of they're ability to keep me comfortable in the cold and wet but I'd say that it doesn't feel like wasted money in comparison to my frank thomas gear.

I will add.. the jacket's back protector felt a little different as it doesn't go all the way to the bottom and move covers the middle to upper part, although felt very good on the shoulders and elbows, secure and firm.. yet to decide if I like the look of the boots and their usability as (with my jeans/frank thomas trousers on) they where a little hard to zip up, surprisingly the boots look nicer IMO in white/black than in all black (although can imagine would be a nightmare to clean all the time).

I have alpinestars SMX-5 boots but the rest are all RST blade, including gloves.

They are great... but not waterproof as advertised. Will hold off a shower, but anything of substance will get through.

The gloves will wear in, but they are winter gloves, they do feel cumbersome & aren't very warm... if my grips are turned off, I know it.

But even though they aren't waterproof and the gloves are cold... they are comfy and I like wearing them :)

Don't think (even when I do get a full set of gear / the helmet) i'd look quite as good with my small 125 and L plates :lol:

Roll on the summer so I can dent my wallet further and get my A2 out the way.

I have the RST Paragon IV's. I ride from London to Yorkshire and don't get a drop.

The full connection zip has cocked up once, but seems pretty reliable so far.

Whether you consider this a pro or a con: RST is an English brand.

I'm pondering over the jacket there's the "RST Blade Jacket for £129" and the "RST Rider Waterproof Jacket for "£99", any major difference.. only one I can see from spec and images are that the Blade looks like it has more padding and protection and also has a "level 2 back protector".. I tried the blade jacket on and was happy with it's overall comfort and protection, back protector not going all the way down the back is something I'll have to go back and check out again before buying.

Also pondering over the boots as when I tried the "RST Trachtech" them on they looked skinny on the front and didn't really have an instant "I like this".. tempted to try the "Alpinestar S-MX 5" cost a little bit more but take my fancy a little bit more (visually, would have to try them on).

But they can wait until next payday as I only really needed the trousers for now, gloves are just to get one more item of the to buy check-list.

The only other item I would like to replace as soon as is my helmet, I tried the AGV K3 on and it felt a little weird could of been that "brand new helmet" feeling but I didn't even get to the point of trying to do the chinstrap up etc. just wanted to get a basic size reference, although the large was slightly (I don't want to say painful, but..) pressuring my cheeks and ears like not 100% comfortable and the extra large (my current frank thomas helmet size.. I realise different brands have different sizes) just felt it had more room but maybe I needed a inbetween, anyway..

I watched Revzilla's review on the HJC IS-17 and video comments said that it let to much wind noise in and wasn't all that great, then watched the AGV K3 SV and it's not only the sun visor that's changed from the regular K3, turns out it had a shape and complete overhaul, fitting into my original £150 budget I think the K3 SV makes for a smarter choice depending on comfort when I get round to trying it on, anyone own the K3 SV or have feedback on it?

Also pondering over the boots as when I tried the "RST Trachtech" them on they looked skinny on the front and didn't really have an instant "I like this".. tempted to try the "Alpinestar S-MX 5" cost a little bit more but take my fancy a little bit more (visually, would have to try them on).

The RST boots didnt fit me. they felt too tight around the ankles, so i went for the Alpinestar S-MX6. very nice boots, very comfy.

The RST boots didnt fit me. they felt too tight around the ankles, so i went for the Alpinestar S-MX6. very nice boots, very comfy.

By visual i'm torn towards the S-MX 5 just because they're also cheaper although I'll compare the two in store, thanks for the advice.

By visual i'm torn towards the S-MX 5 just because they're also cheaper although I'll compare the two in store, thanks for the advice.

Great boots. I'm in them all the time... bike, cinema, restaurants lol

Got a half size down from my usual and they fit great.

Great boots. I'm in them all the time... bike, cinema, restaurants lol

Thinking about it I had problems with the RST fit as well (vary between 11-12) so tried a 48 and the shape didn't feel all to good so hopefully the alpinestar's fit a little better when the time comes.

Look like a bit of an odd ball for now, half expensive gear half cheap frank thomas but it all do the job until next month.

I have crashed in RST leathers!

3 times just to be sure :lol:

they work well

the biggest and last saw them off though 100mph+ on tarmac they more than stood up to it but they where too far gone to repair

so bought another set!

I think that verifies the quality :lol:

I have RST Paragon IV jacket and trousers for standard all year round commuting and touring.

For summer or short rides I additionally have RST Ventilator IV jacket.

They have been great, good quality for reasonable price...

IMG_20150118_131722.thumb.jpg.45b012a4efb03090d8d5b1ad10d7aaab.jpg