Sportsbike Luggage?

That looks like it got an awfully high centre of gravity, also it's going to catch a hell of breeze when your on the move.

no more than having a tail pack

and dont forget its sat behind the rider! the pics are deceptive it looks bigger and higher then it actually is

I cant remember which mag tested them but they claimed at speeds of 160 mph they couldn't tell it was on the bike!

did you not check out the ventura system?

yeah, problem with the Ventura system (and its purely vanity) is that i would need to fit a luggage rack on the back of my bike - not a great look for a sports bike :oops:

only when you are using it you can remove it when not in use!

realistically how often are you going to use it?

Not often at all.. probably spent more time looking into them than they will be on the bike :oops:

Panniers would be nice, but i'm worried that without the metal supports, the thin tail section would mean they would swing into the back wheel.

The Hepco&Becker stuff looks look excellent quality and solve the "swingy-ness" problem by using a metal frame that bolts to the footpegs.

The Ventura system requires a metal luggage rack that doesnt look quick to add/remove.

So I'm kind of swinging towards a big tail pack that i can just sling on the bike when needed.

The Kriega stuff seems to be well regarded by forum members... the Kriega US30 (£95) looks good:

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server400/de086/products/75/images/984/Kriega_US30_fitting_universal_waterproof_motorcycle_tail_pack__93490.1410988059.178.241.jpg?c=2

The 50litre SW-Motech bag looks good too (£140):

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/pix/a/z/bc.hta.00.306.10000/g/bc_hta_00_306_10000_zusatz_10.jpg

But then it' about the same price as the Givi tailbag, but the Givi is 60 litres.

http://images2.revzilla.com/product_images/0090/4650/givi_xs305_x_stream_tail_pack_zoom.jpg

Panniers would be nice, but i'm worried that without the metal supports, the thin tail section would mean they would swing into the back wheel.

Not at all.

You make both velcro straps very tight so all of the weight is on the pillion seat, then you strap it down to the pegs. Easy & doesn't move.

My 35L ones I just sold didn't move AT ALL and had absolutely no chance of going into the wheel (they are too high - even the 45L ones are too high).

Don't let stability be a concern - they will be.

If it helps, I have a tail pack and the panniers and the panniers are a lot more stable.

4 bolts to remove the ventura rack

it consists of L brackets that then takes a rack or grab handle the rack or grab handle can be removed in seconds the L brackets are 4 bolts

the bags for the ventura system simply slide on to the rack and secured

panniers are a right faff to get on and off

your worrying too much about panniers swinging they are rock solid as long as you fasten the top straps properly which isnt hard

you wont have any bother with either

you don't need the system with the brackets to keep them away from the wheel

you wont have any problems with anything you buy your worrying too much about that

pick what you like and buy it

for the odd use then go for the budget side unless you really want to spend the money and get something decent

I like the hepco simply because I know the brand well.. and to my mind being able to lock panniers to the bike with a proper lock and key is important. Its also the answer BMW have for luggage on that bike.. and they're more than a little demanding in terms of quality.

But.. its probably not worth the money unless you really mean to use them a lot.. and keep the bike for a few years. However as and when you sell up - you should easily get a fair amount of your cash back.

simple throw overs and a dry bag are the cheapest option and for occasional use.. probably the best answer of all.

4 bolts to remove the ventura rack

it consists of L brackets that then takes a rack or grab handle

yeah, but i think my teenage years as a pizza delivery boy have given me some kind of hang up about luggage racks on bikes!

your worrying too much about panniers swinging they are rock solid as long as you fasten the top straps properly which isnt hard

you wont have any bother with either

you wont have any problems with anything you buy your worrying too much about that

yep, slow day at the office so plenty of time to over-think things!!

just reading the SW Motech site:

http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/SW_Mot ... _Sets.html

When the destination is reached, the rails can be removed in seconds, leaving only the clamps behind, and the machine completely uncluttered.

And the clamps attach to the rear footpegs holes in the subframe, so no need to have rear foot pegs on the bike (i've taken mine off as i've replaced the rear seat with cowl)

simple throw overs and a dry bag are the cheapest option and for occasional use.. probably the best answer of all.

TBH, if it's a single traveler, my large hiking backpack & bungee cords has done me wonders in the past.

Naaaaaaah mate, it's a BMW - whack a set of Zega Pros onto it :lol:

Actually, the more i think about it, the more i think a pair of black Givi Trekkers would look cool on a black sportsbike:

http://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/foto/TRK33B.jpg

they dont make a fitting kit for my bike though :(

(plus they cost too much)

Could try making your own rack for them? I've seen various things online alleging that it isn't too difficult...

My rack is a Givi but I fitted it with universal panniers so I had to unscrew the Givi mounting lugs, if you can cobble together a rack that I could happily post you the mounts for the panniers themselves. Depends how adventurous you're feeling :thumb:

Could try making your own rack for them? I've seen various things online alleging that it isn't too difficult...

My rack is a Givi but I fitted it with universal panniers so I had to unscrew the Givi mounting lugs, if you can cobble together a rack that I could happily post you the mounts for the panniers themselves. Depends how adventurous you're feeling :thumb:

thanks for the offer... I'm thinking way too deeply about this, now. :oops:

I'm always up for a challenge, but brand new Givi panniers would cost a fortune.. and might not work.

However, do you think i could buy these and modify them? grinder, welder and black paint. job done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORMAN-HYDE-G ... 5b0ce5cde1

Do you know if all Givi boxes have the same fitting? If i could get this to work, i could then invest in the cool looking black metal ones.

joeman

your over thinking again

yep, before long i'll have turned a perfectly good sports bike into some kind of hideous sports/adventure bike mutant with massive metal cases!!

LOL

Hmmm, converting a Bonnie rack might be a bit of a stetch, depends how it breaks apart I guess. Modifying a rack made for something a little sportier might be a bit easier - more bits at the right sort of height and a narrower profile. The Givi racks all specify which case range they work with; mine for example work with all monokey cases.