Heads up if your looking for Biking Gear

13 seconds impact abrasion...... I remain open minded but reserved thats better than some leathers so im not sure. The underlayers would be a good buy however ill be on the hunt for some of those. If the jackets are really that good i wouldnt mind getting one for work use as it gets oily and greasy

'13 seconds impact abrasion'.

people don't tend to slide for 13 seconds on one point... people tumble. and 13 seconds is a hell of a long time. only likely on a Motorway or Dual Carriageway assuming you hit nothing else.. i.e. you slide straight up the road. In reality.. when people come off and go sliding up the road they tumble and impacts on specific points are measured in single number or 'split' seconds. Im sure there are some who slide down the road and don't tumble in which case the decider on abrasion injuries is more likely to be the level of armour that lies between the outer shell and your skin.

You could argue that the low price is achieved because they have absolutely no need to innovate, no need at all to try to compete against the premium brands with a 'brand identity' thats hugely expensive to promote. They have an instant customer base who visit their shops for food.. so they might also buy a Ladder or Generator at the same time? - these 'specials' that Lidl and Aldi do are an incredibly clever ploy... Bike gear when it appears sells out FAST. even Ive noticed that and it simply doesn't interest me - Ive never bought any item of bike gear from either store. But.. I still look.

To my mind the high cost of 'branded' gear can only be justified by a high quality of workmanship - that the gear is well made and any faults are identified before the item leaves the factory. Or if an item is returned then the root cause of that problem is identified and 'fixed'. so.. one problem doesn't become a pattern.

Our bike gear stores are expensive.. we pay so much more here than our european neighbours - to the point its outrageous.

If their stuff lasts for a year. excellent. if it lasts for longer than that.. then thats stunning. It may not be for everyone - but affordable gear is definitely desirable especially for new riders who are already cash strapped due to the price of lessons, the tests and everything else.

There will be people who simply wont touch it. If you just traded in a 2yr old Ducati for the NEXT BIG THING then looking for affordable gear in Aldi probably isn't on your radar. but.. not many are in that position. Far too many are living close to the edge and price really is the biggest hurdle. And these people are already likely to shop in Aldi - so they're gonna see it every time they visit. And bear the prices in mind when the look in their local bike gear shop or an online store.

Well done Aldi. lets see how it pans out. Bike gear stores should watch out... this could really hurt them.

Anything that makes the cost of entry into the world of safe biking more affordable for newbies is a good thing for the industry as a whole.

The more affordable the gear, the more bikes we'll see on the roads which is great news for safety as bikes wont be such a rare sight so car drivers might start looking out for us more!

I've bought biking socks from Lidle and they are excellent. In fact yesterday I was riding about wearing Leather/Kevlar Thinsulate gloves from Lidle and my hands were toasty warm.

People ranting about it on the website..

If it's passed safety tests whats the problem?

Chances are it won't be very warm or waterproof but you get what you pay for. Buy a set of waterproofs chuck over the top and it's a reasonable price for a starter set.

In a good way!

yep, i dont think any large retailer, especially the "low end" ones would dare to promote crap quality gear, and they really are promoting it hard.

Lidle also released bike gear today, so i'll be popping in tonight to snap up some bargains. i'm not a brand snob!!

I got a set of waterproofs from either lidl

I have had them about 8 years now maybe longer and they are brilliant

they are all lined inside they have a diagonal zip to help get them on and off they have zipped bottoms so they are easy to get over your boots plus velcro to tighten them to your boots they did have straps that went under your feet to stop them riding up but I broke those!

they velcro around the neck and wrists

and to top it off they don't let a drop in!

I did 260 miles in the pissing rain at speeds of upto 120 and that never even drove a drop through!

something like this would normally set you back £50 - £70

lidl price £10 8-)

I really hope they do them again one day as I will get another set as mine are a tad tight now :oops:

I've heard aldi boots are a bit useless in the rain but I've had thermals, compression layera and the golf wind proof layers all from aldi and they have lasted 2 years so far but more importantly keep me toasty warm.

Now I've gone from naked bike to faired I've actually had to take a couple of layers off because I got too hot!

Ive just been out and bought the base layers, socks, and balaclava. All seems good quality stuff.

The gloves they have on sale are the same as the ones I bought last year.

The flip helmets look ok too. Bit heavy with no safety stickers. Not bad for the price. Ideal for the scooter brigade!

The flip helmets look ok too. Bit heavy with no safety stickers. Not bad for the price. Ideal for the scooter brigade!

bear in mind that ALL helmets have to meet a certain level of protection and meet certain tests/specs before they are allowed to be sold in the UK

if they dont meet the minimum safety specs then they cant be sold full stop

Tempted to try the bluetooth headset and pair it with my iPhone and just leave the phone in my pocket for the morning empty road commutes, although worry somewhat about how well it would work.

Plus my Helmet is the AGV K3 SV so wouldn't it make more sense to invest in the AGV bluetooth headset?

although £26.99 v £100 (something or other) it is tempting.

bear in mind that ALL helmets have to meet a certain level of protection and meet certain tests/specs before they are allowed to be sold in the UK

if they dont meet the minimum safety specs then they cant be sold full stop

I went to lidl and bought one of the helmets. yes its a bit heavier but i wanted a flip top helmet to see if i could get on with it.

note: still only on a 125 but in the box you get the flip top helmet with a TUV certificated tag on the inside. spare cheek pads and a rear "winter" collar and a 50% spare tinted visor. all for £39.99 now i got the black one and normally when i still at light i mist alittle, not so far with this lid, but it wasnt really cold today.

good fit and wind noise was acceptable.

Tempted to try the bluetooth headset and pair it with my iPhone and just leave the phone in my pocket for the morning empty road commutes, although worry somewhat about how well it would work.

Plus my Helmet is the AGV K3 SV so wouldn't it make more sense to invest in the AGV bluetooth headset?

although £26.99 v £100 (something or other) it is tempting.

Find the other thread on BT headsets. There are better ones out there for similar money that other forum members have and swear by.