Kit List - Have I covered it all ?

Budgeting up a kit list, I want the best protection out there within reason. Here is my list so far, really appreciate any help or advice to improve it.

bike nudaR £4-7k

New tyres for above - £250

Stormrex cover - £80 http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/46433

Helmet

Schuberth C3 Pro High Vis - £530 http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/109162

Boots

Dr Martens Faris - £220 http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/208437

Body

Not sure I think 2 piece but need to goto a shop and try a bunch on. Want full armor etc budget - £1500

additional body armor - £300 ?

High Vis vest - £70 ?

Base layer bits - £200 ?

Gloves - Dainese D1 - £260 http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/217929

Lastly radio/intercom and a satnav for camera alerts.

What do most of you use for bike to bike chattating ? Tomtom ok for the bike ?

budgets approx:

Bike £4-7k

gear £3-4K

Must remember to tell the Mrs it's work gear when it starts arriving...

Your budget for gear is insanely high for basically one outfit!

Here in the uk you may have noticed we have changeable weather so having a good mix of leathers and textiles, winter and summer gear to chose from is a good idea.

What makes you think you need to spend that much on helmet, leathers boots, gloves and base layers??

Also those boots dont offer much protection.

For leathers, dont get a one piece unless you're going to live on a racetrack. For the road two peice leathers that zip together are a more practical solution. Its nice to take the jacket off.

Edit: and high vis doesnt work, but most importantly will look crap as it will clash with the bike!!

Joeman

Thanks for the reply, no wet weather riding for me, its purely a hobby. Maybe winter if its dry.

Agree on the 2 piece, I need to find a good shop in the midlands where I can try on a bunch of stuff.

What do you mean hi vis doesn't work ?

Looks come secondary to safety for me.

I'd add a set of waterproofs and a bag to carry them in, British weather can change very quickly!...plus riding in the wet is another challenge and actually quite fun! Some of the gear you've chosen is quite pricey..but if you've got a big budget..treat yourself!

But don't assume that the more you spend, the safer you'll be. [emoji106]

That is massive budget for gear.

More expensive gear doesn't nesiccerily mean it will protect you better. You really have to find stuff that fits properly. Motorcycle clothing does not always match casual clothes sizing. You will however get more "technology" in your gear for the higher price. Some times it is worth it, other times it is hard to say.

Bike to bike communication is usually done via radios. Bluetooth ones can be hit and miss as the engine can interfere with the Bluetooth signal.

Those boots don't look very protective... If you want that style, can I suggest you look at Altberg boots? I have a custom made pair and they are fantastic.

Base layers. Again, more expensive isn't always best. Just make sure they are designed to wick moisture away from you, and they fit close to your skin. But not too tight that you cannot move freely. Merino wool is very effective at keeping you dry and warm, or cool depending on the outside temperature.

If you have a go outdoors shop near you they are a good place to pick them up. I tend to use ones from aldi and lidl though. I find they are very effective.

Two piece suits are much more comfortable I find. Although I prefer the all round connector zip better than the short zip style.

Most will come with armour in the knees, shoulders and elbows as standard. More upper range ones will have hip armour as well.

Nearly all jackets will have a pocket for back armour. I'd recommend getting some as I find it make the whole jacket sit better when on the bike. Does take some getting used to though.

There are loads of different kinds of armour. Just make sure it meets the minimum safty certificate ( its a CE number I think)

Leather or textile? I like having both. But textiles tend to be more comfortable. Especially if you know you will be off the bike for a while at the end of your ride and not able to change.

Try some on of each. More advanced textiles now have more abrasion resistance than most leathers, so safety wise, there isn't a difference in them.

And why do you need a cover for the bike?

Dont keep a bike like that outside, stick it in your garage! You can buy a hanger for all your gear and keep that all in the garage too.

Oh, and regarding hi-vis. As a car driver I find I noticed people wearing hi-vis much quicker than I otherwise would. So yes, I tend to wear it on the bike. My textile jacket is mostly yellow hi-vi!

There are certain time when hi-vis is harder to see though. Such as bright sunlight and on country roads with oil seed rape in full bloom in the fields.

anyone recommend a good shop in the midlands with a good range of kit to try ?

I know the budget seems a lot but I just spent half of it putting a set of tyres on the disco :shock:

now to see if the accountant will let me put it through the books as workwear.....

Hey bud.

Like Joe says, your gear list is definitely top end money! :-) No probs spending £5-700 on a lid, it is the most important safety thing you have. Gloves - £180 will get you a decent pair - have a look at Racer High Racer gloves - I personally endorse their comfort and crash protection. Get a comfy back protector but don't bother with a chest protector, they're too bulky and are a pain for every day use - I only use mine on track.

I too would recommend a two piece simply for convenience - being able to take your jacket off on a hot day is waaaay better than being stuck in a one piece. Have a look at Sportsbikeshop, they have some good deals plus they have a physical store Kings Lynn way if you can get over there.

I also use covers on my bikes even though they're in the garage - stops dust and crap getting on them. :-)

I'd probably spend a few more sheckles on tyres if it's just a toy bike too plus I'd recommend paddock stands to make maintenance easier and free up some garages space.

Fook me ..you must be a lottery winner, helmet over £500 and gloves £260 !!

My textile jacket cost me £1000. and I'm not a lottery winner. Im just lucky enough not to have somebody wagging her finger, telling me "No you can't" and obviously when i was looking for advice. I didn't ask for it on 'this' forum. :up:

(bought before I joined)

I spent £1000 on a jacket and £150 on a helmet (in a sale) that pretty much sums up my priorities. Gloves came from germany where they're MUCH cheaper than here. Boots are goretex lined 'army'. base layers c/o Matalan.

Trousers.. again from germany. saving over £100 was too good to miss.

I save for things and buy the best I can justify. to me a helmet is a 'throw away' item.. so, as long as its for 'road use' and ticks a few other boxes. then thats just peachy. I would love a schuberth. but i simply cannot justify that kind of money to myself. even though I can very easily justify other far more expensive items.

Edited by Anonymous

now to see if the accountant will let me put it through the books as workwear.....

Nope, he won't. Why should he? Its not in any way connected to your business, its for your hobby.

There is a saying "all the gear, no idea" and if go out and blow 5k on biking gear before you can even ride, you'll be in danger of having that label applied to you.

As has been said, price doesnt reflect safety. If you feel you have to spend large amounts of money on protection then you should be looking at airbag systems that inflate when they detect an accident.

Also wearing expensive gear can easily give you a false sense of security. No gear in the world will keep you alive if you hit a lamp post at speed or go under the wheels of a truck, so the last thing you want is to buy a false sense of security.

As for hiviz - if they dont see the bright headlight coming towards them, they are unlikely to see the rider in hi-viz.

Hi-viz is fine for horse riders and road workers, not "bad ass bikers" lol.

Fook me ..you must be a lottery winner, helmet over £500 and gloves £260 !!

not to be too ostentatious, £500 doesn't go far these days. The disco is £120 just to fill with diesel and that don't last long dragging a 3 ton digger!

I think 10k ish budget in total isnt a great deal in the scheme of things. Lots of people spend that on sky and fags a year!

As for hiviz - if they dont see the bright headlight coming towards them, they are unlikely to see the rider in hi-viz.

Hi-viz is fine for horse riders and road workers, not "bad ass bikers" lol.

That would be a rear facing bright headlight I assume ! :cheers:

You have a red tail light. And if you get rear ended by a car, you're clearly not riding correctly. Rear observation is essential and you should try not to ever stop at the back of a queue where you're exposed. Filter past the stationary traffic to get to a safe place.

Your money would be better spent on tuition rather than fluorescent dayglow gear.

I think the large stormex will be too big for your bike, it is over 2.5m long! Internet reckons the nuda is about 1.5m long so you'd want a medium. I have a medium one for sale - its brand new, it just didn't fit either of my bikes and the postage was too expensive to make it worth returning it. I can't be bothered putting it on ebay or anything but its currently taking up much needed shelf space so if you are interested drop me a pm whenever.

I got a few lids dearest was £200 I think, just cause something is dearer don't make it better...

And a grand for a jacket ..lol, all my gear don't come to that , some people just need to think they have the best of every thing ..each to their own .

sorry forum, i feel like i've hit a nerve.

not really sure why, I work bloody hard and if I want decent gear then I have no apologies.

donnk

not really sure why, I work bloody hard and if I want decent gear then I have no apologies.

Maybe because you don't listen, come across as arrogant? Some of the people here telling you price does not equal safety/quality have pretty expensive bikes so probably have no issue spunking money on high end kit if its worth it.

Those boots are laughable.

donnk

And there is no need to apologise :thumb: you did ask for advice, my advice is just cause it's the dearest it doesn't necessarily mean it's the best.... all branded biking gear is over priced in my opinion some more than others.

And a grand for a jacket ..lol, all my gear don't come to that , some people just need to think they have the best of every thing ..each to their own .

I don't need to *think* I have the best... I need to *know* that if I get rained on I'll stay dry. if I have a break down at a mile above sea level surrounded by snow. or anywhere.... I'll not get cold.

Ive had Pneumonia once and spent 3 months in hospital. 1 month of which was absolute hell forced to stay in bed sitting up 24hrs a day coughing up fluid by the pint for weeks on end. My consultant warned me about riding a bike, he also warned me about the risks i take by catching a cold or getting cold and wet and opening myself up for a relapse. because although i was cured of the pneumonia the bug that caused it is still inside me and will never go away. its just biding its time waiting for conditions to allow a second go.

So, rather than look for advice about gear on a 'general' bike forum.. I went over to adventure rider and UKGSer where people ride round the world on a regular basis and took my hints and tips on gear from them - worked down to a shortlist and made the effort to try them all on and in the end the Rukka jacket I bought was the most suited to my needs. it definitely was expensive.

you'll be surprised how a near death experience changes your thinking and alters your priorities. its certainly changed mine.

you're welcome.

I don't need to *think* I have the best... I need to *know* that if I get rained on I'll stay dry. if I have a break down at a mile above sea level surrounded by snow. or anywhere.... I'll not get cold.

Ive had Pneumonia once and spent 3 months in hospital. 1 month of which was absolute hell forced to stay in bed sitting up 24hrs a day coughing up fluid by the pint for weeks on end. My consultant warned me about riding a bike, he also warned me about the risks i take by catching a cold or getting cold and wet and opening myself up for a relapse. because although i was cured of the pneumonia the bug that caused it is still inside me and will never go away. its just biding its time waiting for conditions to allow a second go.

So, rather than look for advice about gear on a 'general' bike forum.. I went over to adventure rider and UKGSer where people ride round the world on a regular basis and took my hints and tips on gear from them - worked down to a shortlist and made the effort to try them all on and in the end the Rukka jacket I bought was the most suited to my needs. it definitely was expensive.

you'll be surprised how a near death experience changes your thinking and alters your priorities. its certainly changed mine.

you're welcome.

True, you might not get cold ...but you might need some oxygen and a gun incase of polar bear attack.

donnk

Not hit a nerve at all! Trying to save you some cash mate.

As you say, you work hard for it so you dont want to waste it on kit thats not suitable.

Ive got no problem spending loads of money on biking stuff. A grand on a jacket and 500 on a helmet - no problem - IF in was wearing them all the time in allnweathers and needed to know I'd be dry and safe.

But as a newbie summer only rider, you dont need to spend that sort of money. Helmets all meet the same legal requirements. The only difference is weigh and features. Some have internal visors for example, but you dont need to spend loads of money.

The best helmet on the market with an interrnal visor is probably the shoie GT-air. Its about 380quid and if you get it from helmet city you get a free set of boots.

Yep....it's your money mate........spend it how you wish....... 8-)

Personally, I'm a cheapskate.......most of my gear is secondhand (except the lid).......and there's bargains to be had........ :wink:

I agree that I'd go with "proper" biking boots........sounds like you're self employed, so you don't need to be off work with a silly injury because the boots didn't protect your ankle or shin....... :wink:

2-piece leathers with a waterproof oversuit just in case.

Have a look at HELD gloves.......I've found them to be the most comfortable gloves I've ever worn........and most of them offer good protection too.

Happy shopping mate...... 8-)