Got to ride a pushbike for the foreseeable future...

Ricky

So yeah, I have to ride my old shitty push bike which has been sat in the garage for 3years+ until I pass my A2, because the idiot in me thought I'd pass first time so I sold my YZF... :(

Anyway I took it out for about a half mile ride to make sure everything still worked, it all did but my legs feel like jelly, sweating like hell and I feel like a tosser :(

I have to ride it 18 miles on total a day, there and back and was wondering if their was anyone on here that has had to do a similar thing and will I get used to it?

:cheers: :cheers:

Bummer! I love cycling. Do you have a road bike. If it's a mountain bike get some road tyres for it. Buy some decent shorts and anti chaffing cream you don't want any saddle sores. Then download "strava" on your phone. It tracks your rides so you can check any progress you make as you get fitter and faster. You might find you enjoy it in the end.

Bummer! I love cycling. Do you have a road bike. If it's a mountain bike get some road tyres for it. Buy some decent shorts and anti chaffing cream you don't want any saddle sores. Then download "strava" on your phone. It tracks your rides so you can check any progress you make as you get fitter and faster. You might find you enjoy it in the end.

I think it's a mountain bike, it has big chunky tyres :(

And shorts like those tight spandex things that bradley wiggins wear?!

And I'm downloading strava as I type, I think that might make it a little more interesting, downloading some new music too, can't think of anything else that might make it a little more enjoyable :(

Don't buy any cycling shorts for fook sake, you already said you feel like a tosser , you don't want to look like one as well :thumb:

Upgrade to 1.2" skinnies and you'll find it a lot easier - I recommend Michelin or Panaracer (they've been a rock solid brand for the last 25 years - I was riding on Panaracers back in '89/'90 and they are still a top quality tyre).

Also, upgrade the jockey wheels in your rear mech (if it is a crappy one). You will definitely notice the difference!

Keep the bike well maintained and well lubricated. Strip the bottom bracket and hubs (you'll need a cone spanner set and a chain whip - neither costs much, and probably a BB tool), re-grease and reassemble.

You will DEFINITELY notice the difference!

Those changes will make the max difference for min cost.

And after that, it's just a case of getting the legs used to it - pain is just weakness leaving the body! :cheers:

Don't buy any cycling shorts for fook sake, you already said you feel like a tosser , you don't want to look like one as well :thumb:

You can wear the cycling shorts under you normal shorts if you prefer, it's far better than damaging the Crown Jewels and suffering with a droopy d#%k for the rest of your life :D

Upgrade to 1.2" skinnies and you'll find it a lot easier - I recommend Michelin or Panaracer (they've been a rock solid brand for the last 25 years - I was riding on Panaracers back in '89/'90 and they are still a top quality tyre).

Also, upgrade the jockey wheels in your rear mech (if it is a crappy one). You will definitely notice the difference!

Keep the bike well maintained and well lubricated. Strip the bottom bracket and hubs (you'll need a cone spanner set and a chain whip - neither costs much, and probably a BB tool), re-grease and reassemble.

You will DEFINITELY notice the difference!

Those changes will make the max difference for min cost.

And after that, it's just a case of getting the legs used to it - pain is just weakness leaving the body! :cheers:

Really wish I could afford to spend money on it but I have to spend a further 135 this sunday for my MOD 1 an nearly 200 quid the following week for my mod 2, so Money at the moment is incredibly tight :(

Is there a certain method to setting my seat up properly?

There are loads of ways to set up seat height. You don't want it so high that your knees are locking out. Have a look on YouTube you will find vids on there showing you step by step.

Pump your tyres up to around 60 PSI or what ever the top pressure your tyre says on your side walls. Even chunky tyres will roll well at that pressure.

raise your saddle a little, put semi slicks or slicks tyres on and increase the tyre pressures... that will help rolling resistance....

i have some bikes for sale if you want a newer one :P

Thanks for your advice guys, don't have a tyre pressure guage at home so I'll do it at the fuel station tomorrow, they're not that accurate so I've heard so I'll pump it to 5 PSI below max just to be safe :D

Actually all my tools are at my grans so I'll do it right now, need to stretch my legs ready for tomorrow anyway and raise the seat height :)

Wish I could afford a newer pushbike but This month is going to be ridiculously expensive as it is and I'm hoping I'll never have to use the thing again after this month, but I said that 3 years ago when I finally got a moped/bike thing and look where I am now :lol:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y513/coolman418/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5l5ybdfi.jpg

Overkill? :lol:

Lubed the chain and squirted WD40 here and there, pumped the tyres up, feels noticebly better, early night tonight I think :crybaby:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y513/coolman418/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5l5ybdfi.jpg

Overkill? :lol:

Lubed the chain and squirted WD40 here and there, pumped the tyres up, feels noticebly better, early night tonight I think :crybaby:

Definitely bus! Or take out that rear shock and replace it with a piece of box section, and replace the forks with a pair of solid forks. You can get a half-decent pair of solid forks on ebay for £20, or less, with a set of spacers. E.g., these will fit your bike (looks like you have v-brakes) and will be a darn sight lighter that what you've got: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Point-Bicycle-MTB-Fork-Rigid-fork-A-Head-1-1-8-black-black-280mm-Shank-/171761976938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27fdcfc66a

Seriously, those cheap shock "absorbers" do bugger all except take a lot of power out of your pedal stroke. I wouldn't like to cycle 10 miles each way on that as it is!

Edited by XmisterIS

Change the seat height so your legs are fully stretched at the end of the push, it helps both work the legs out fully and also uses the whole muscle which translates to having an easier time!

Other that that, stop smoking and drink a lot of water :thumb:

I cycle, I only do about 10 miles in a go, which feels quite easy as I've been doing the whole gym thing for a long time. Just pack a cereal bar to munch on the other end.

The ride in was f**king dreadful half way there it starts to piss down, luckily I had my waterproofs in my bag and spare change of socks but my hair, face and hands were soaking, and the great thing is, now I'm at work the bast*rd sun has come out! :crybaby:

I used to cycle 11 miles to work every day, all year round (so 22 miles a day). You will get used to it and get a lot fitter.

Some tips. Leave as much at work as you can: shoes, trousers, towel (if you have a shower), lock, etc. Then you can carry as little as possible on the bike; I used to carry just a clean shirt and underwear for the day, lunch, tools&pump to handle a puncture and waterproofs if rain looked likely.

On the bright side:

- At least you managed to sell the YZF relatively easily

- At least you have a new bike waiting for you finish with the bicycle

When I'm done with cycling to work, I'll just be back on the same old crapped out BMW until the next thing goes wrong :lol:

i think i can help you out for the cost of postage..#

I have some new 26inch semi slicks i dont use.

i may have some forks with v-BRAKE MOUNTINGS

DEPENDING ON YOUR FRAME SIZE I MIGHT HAVE ONE OF THEM TOO.. oops caps

Cheers guys :)

I suppose it's not for too long and it gives me more motivation not to f**k up again :lol:

Hey soll :) the route I went this morning had some rocky/bumpy terrain and I'm not sure that the smaller tyres would cope as well through it :( thank you so much for the offer though, I made it in 45 minutes, 4 minutes less than that sat nag said and I stopped to put my waterproofs on :lol:

:cheers: :cheers:

hey man I have a raligh racing bike that I don't use anymore it's just sitting in the shed. has a flat tyre but I could let you have it for a few quid if you want man. It's pretty nippy :)