ZZR1400 15 plate

Mr Fro

I bumbled down to Orewlls today with my mind fixed on walking away with a shiny new "performance" ZZR14.

I minced about looking at it for a while and then took it for an hour or so spin. :-)

Standard trim is 200ps and a big chunk of torque. The performance model has an Akra exhaust, up-rated shock and a slightly modified screen. Cost is around 12k standard, 14.3k for the upgrade.

Looks wise it's pretty sleek and quite aggressive although the fairing fins are a matter of taste... The standard exhausts are massive and get in the way when you have the balls of your feet on the pegs - your heels tend to sit on the exhaust shroud which impacts the comfort of the riding position. The Akras are much better looking and sounding but still get in the way.

Comfort is good if you duck foot the pegs - the seat is big, comfy and at a reasonable height with the bars at a good stretch - about half way between touring and sports bike.

Instrumentation is... comprehensive. The functions are easy to navigate while riding and include stuff like range, fuel consumption, various trip meters and abs/tcs.

The power from this thing is immense and immediate. It pulls cleanly from 3.5k to the red line and it's incredibly easy to lift the front in 3rd and 4th. I found myself scratching round the country roads near Ipswich mainly in 2nd and 3rd which was plenty to be getting on with.

Handling is surprisingly good. The weight is really low down so even very slow speed manoeuvring is easy despite it's ~250kg weight. High speed stability is excellent - it feels exceptionally well planted when making progress along a bit of straighish road. The brakes are very good, if a tad sharp. I didn't feel any twitching or hint of wash out under heavy braking.

Twisty roads aren't exacy what this bike is aimed at and you can feel the suspension wallow a bit when you start pushing hard. To be fair, it coped very well with the spanking I gave it - proper adjustment would help I feel. Those exhaust shrouds also get in the way of a good riding position and hinder your ability to shift your body weight around so they would need modification.

All in all, this is a very easy bike to ride and ride fast (I mean, really fast). Even after my entertainment it still returned around 40mpg which is impressive for a bike this size. I would have liked to have seen heated grips and cruise control as standard but you can't have everything.

Regardless of how capable the 14 is, I have to admit that it left me a bit cold which was a huge disappointment. Sadly, no new bike for me today but it has pretty much confirmed that I'm a sports bike bloke. Just need to wait for them to get a ZX10 in and check out the S1000rr. :-)

Like a cruise missile thats eaten too many pies.

If you're down this way, i could introduce you to my dealer. They won't let you leave without you trying out an S1000RR.

Yeah, a little bit. It was so easy to ride but I just wasn't excited by it.

I'd like to do the Kwak/BMW back to back which is a bit of a mission up this way as they're so bloody far apart!

Good point Ollie, I didn't think of Pooborough.

I think the Kwak exhausts are a cunning upgrade point...

Sales person: "Sir, I know those cans look shite but for a mere £1.6k extra you can get a set of Akras which will make it look less some manga obsessed moody teenager has had a go at them."

Buyer: "Good point. Sold."

Kawasaki really need to have a serious look at the exhahausts they fit to thier bikes...preferably when they ain't stoned.

I think they do know what there doing, like most manufactures trying to keep within the noise and emission regulations and also try and release as much power as possible from the motors forces them to make these stupid size dustbin boxes.

Kawasaki really need to have a serious look at the exhahausts they fit to thier bikes...preferably when they ain't stoned.

I think they do know what there doing, like most manufactures trying to keep within the noise and emission regulations and also try and release as much power as possible from the motors forces them to make these stupid size dustbin boxes.

I just think all at the Kwaka factory ride the Pineapple Express.

The big exhausts are hard to disguise on a bike with a 1400cc capacity and are required to comply with ever tightening emission regulations.

I am on my second First generation ZZR1400. I would recommend them for the astonishing experience that is riding one.

Enormous speed, excellent economy, near sports bike handling, silky smooth engine and great ride quality.

Self restraint is the order of the day but the performance is intoxicating.

Through the twisties a well ridden ZZR1400 will keep up with all but the most accomplished sports bike rider. Once the road straightens or the sweeping bends appear the tables will turn in favour of the big Z.

Generation 2 ZZR1400 have regularly been dyno'd at over 210bhp at the rear wheel in standard trim, some 40bhp more than the Generation 1 - colossal power.

Inter Continental Ballistic Missile with a pillion seat.