Newbie dropped his brand new bike...help...

Guest rhyso

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section but I am just after some advice...

I am a newbie rider - passed my CBT about a month ago and bought a new Honda CB125F about 2 weeks ago to learn the ropes. I have done less than 200 miles on the clock and this is my first experience with motorbikes.

I was practicing some low speed turning / figure of 8s in a deserted car park and after nearly getting the clutch control / turning to an okay standard, the bike slipped from under me and before I knew it, I was on my arse. My first off! My jacket took most of the brunt as I landed on my elbow, but my beloved new bike hit the deck...

There appears to be no major damage, just cosmetic but as it is a new bike it really bothers me! I saved for ages to be able to afford my first bike and you can imagine how devastated I am to have dropped it and scratched it. It makes me feel sick to think I saved for so long! Should I be worried about rusting (re the exhaust scratches?)

My question is, is there anything I can buy to try and buff / polish / treat or whatever the damage away!?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

First of many drops unfortunately. That's why its not a great idea for newbies to buy brand new bikes.

Fix them in threes, so wait for the next two drops then fix them all together.

If you try to fix them as they happen you'll spend a fortune!

Better still, just fix it up before you sell it for your next bike.

Welcome to the forum.

First of many drops unfortunately. That's why its not a great idea for newbies to buy brand new bikes.

I really hate these sort of comments all the time!

I have only dropped one bike in 12 years and that was the other week whilst in Germany!!

not everyone has many drops or drops their first bike :wink:

Yes but stu, we all know your bike's spent most of those 12years up on paddock stands with its engine sat on the floor beside it!

Im sure theres been a few newbie 125riders on the forum droping brand new bikes recently. Or am I imagining things?

Yes but stu, we all know your bike's spent most of those 12years up on paddock stands with its engine sat on the floor beside it!

you know nothing :lol:

at one point I was doing 15k a year :wink:

ps the engine goes on a bench not on the floor its easier to work on :wink:

Anyway, while the children are fighting...

If you're worried about rust on the exhaust then get yourself a can of high temperature matt or satin paint (whichever yours is) and spray it on. It won't look perfect but it should stop it rusting.

As for the black plastic bit - you should be able to disguise it with a bit of trim wax. The other scratches you might be able to fix to some degree with touch up pens available from your dealer. The quality of finish will depend on how much time and effort you put in. Again, it probably won't look perfect but if you read up about it/watch some YouTube vids then it should come out alright.

well when you're always being told to buy a second hand bike as your bound to drop it and you wont loose any money on it, its quite nice to buy a new bike and drop it just to be different.

as for the op... dont worry about it too much, as long as you havent bent anything important just keep getting back on it and carry on regardless.

as previously said trip to halfords for heat resistant paint, try a bit of hg quality polish and elbow grease. id the scratches are deep then use a touch up pen.

worse case scenario, just before you take it for trade in or sale, get some vinyl repsol stickers and cover all the scuffs up.

The damage you posted is minuscule so don't worry about that firstly.

Secondly, you're a new rider, and most new riders fall off, especially off little bikes on skinny tyres that don't offer that much grip anyway. Happens all the time so don't worry.

Keep practising, and worry when you've done it a few more times :)