How do you choose a tire???

onesea

OK Guys, first set of tires wearing out,

Actually mainly the front tire near side on the first 1/4 of the round bit near side. Apparently tires often wear there??

Well the question is what do I go for next? 6,000 miles out of my Dunlops.

Bike - Yamaha FZ6

How do I ride I am going to say touring maybe a bit sportingly LOL

Certainly all weather, wind rain or shine. And 6000 miles in 6 months, during my first 6 months on a bike...

Has my tires gripp failed me in the last 6 months, yes

Once on gritty roads stopping.... Several times when encountering horse sh1t on corners (on one occasion hidden in a puddle :? )

I am thinking long life, all weather & not spending to much :thumb: .

Bridge Stone T30 Evo?

MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 or 4???

Dunlop ROadSmart II

Any others?? Any advice how/ what to I choose....

Enie menie miney mo.

Only joking, pilot road tyres are a great buy and suit all bike and riding types. The 3 is as good as the four imo unless your name is tom sykes. Both will out perform you and keep you confident when leant hard over or riding in the wet.

They last well too.

Read reviews online, ask about among mates, ask at the shop whats been selling well. Find someone who has personal experience.

Most modern sports tourer tyre will suit your riding IMO, if you want something a bit stickier then go for a sports.

I opted for Metzeler M7RR's and am very please with them, not the cheapest but a very good tyre, just need to see how many miles ill get out of them, Gonna try Pilot road 3's next time i think.

• 8 months later...

Re awakening this thread as my 2nd set of tyres are fooked... Something has penetrated my front tyre it is beyond repair...

Road Smart 2's they where got 10k out of them so cannot complain to much there but there was still a couple of K left in them :(

They seemed good tyres but always picking up bits of stone, flint or what ever... Maybe be fine on city streets but here when I ride through the New Forest and 1/2 the carparks have stones its no good they end up on the road and in your tyres...

So what next?

I had the Pilot Power 2CT and they were fantastic. I've just moved over and picked up a set of Pilot Road 3 and so far, 200miles into the new tyre I can say I'm happy I got them.

But each to their own really, some people have a preference. I know I do :)

PR3 or 4. Best all rounder I've had. Still not had a slip out of them even right to the edge. :-)

PR4 is what friends are suggesting I do not seem to mind riding in the wet... Then doing around 12-14k in my first year I need a good mileage as well...

If it was not for my Smart rider 2's ability to pick up flint/ stones :( I would of gone for Smart Rider 3's they recon I would get 15k out of a pair... But thats no good if its going lasarate itself on flint and stones etc...

What sort of miles do people get out of PR4's? Struggling to find that number..

PR3 or 4. Best all rounder I've had. Still not had a slip out of them even right to the edge. :-)

Same here, only slippage I've had has been my own fault for giving it fist fulls of power on the dirty cross hatchings between lanes.. But that's to be expected on any tyre really!

I've only done a few k on my PR4 so far and they barely look touched. When I read the reviews before purchasing them, many people claim to have done 12k+ with ease.

So much better than the OEM Bridgestones I was using before.

Well its either falling between:

Dunlop Road Smart 3's just cause of known life of Road Smart 2's (if they do not always pick up stones etc).. Plus I have one choice no options!

Michelin Pilot Road 4's Well recommended it seems Bike is an FZ6 (186kg) Carrying 95kg + odds and sods occasional pillion. GT or Standard?

So many choices its nearly as bad as choosing a coffee on the high street: Starbucks Cost or Local shop? Black White latte with shot without small medium large etc etc Not certain which one is worse!!!

Pr 4's no need for the gt on that bike

Stu I agree about no need but as they are same price would they be any better?

Death of a tire....

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u654/onesea/20160315_093828_zpsga011m5d.jpg

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u654/onesea/Bike/20160315_093824_zpsjvkdtpqm.jpg

The second photo also shows clearly all the dimples where stones pieces etc where the tyre was constantly picking up stone pieces etc.. Front and back where as bad :?

If you're riding on roads with that many loose stones, maybe you shock jam some dualsport tyres onto it instead :lol:

I remember reading once about someone sticking Shinko 705's on an R1, maybe you could get some of those in the right size... :mrgreen:

If you're riding on roads with that many loose stones, maybe you shock jam some dualsport tyres onto it instead :lol:

I remember reading once about someone sticking Shinko 705's on an R1, maybe you could get some of those in the right size... :mrgreen:

It has crossed my mind.... The thing is I am not really going off road I avoid entering gravel carparks etc when ever possible.... What you get allot of is places like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7970279,-1.6062923,3a,80.8y,136.32h,61.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDqnJZ1gf9va_5-CFD1F-kg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Where cars etc drag the gravel out of the car parks on the way in and out, the Smart Rider 2's just seemed to pick it all up...

Looks like PR4's

I've had PR4's on my bike for 17 months. Can't recall what mileage they've done, but it includes 7 or 8 trips from North Yorkshire down to Folkestone, through France, Belgium and Holland, two trips to Switzerland and back, plus all the usual local pootling. They still have loads of life in them and the only time they let go of the road was on sheet ice last winter, where any tyre would have done the same.

When I replace them it'll be with more of the same!

My PR3's are just about done as they are squaring off now, done about 13K on them, mainly motorway. Bike felt much better when I got them although getting more skittish over bumps and road surface joins, tramlining is more marked now. Will probably go for PR3 or 4 over next couple of months.

I only got about 6.5k out of the rear on the PR4 before I changed it :shock:

Although there is still a few mm tread left

I only changed it as I was off on a trip

and those 6.5k was mostly with a pillion and fully loaded up with luggage!

Pr 4's no need for the gt on that bike

Stu I agree about no need but as they are same price would they be any better?

Death of a tire....

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u654/onesea/20160315_093828_zpsga011m5d.jpg

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u654/onesea/Bike/20160315_093824_zpsjvkdtpqm.jpg

The second photo also shows clearly all the dimples where stones pieces etc where the tyre was constantly picking up stone pieces etc.. Front and back where as bad :?

How old is that tyre?

Ive seen cuts like that on new tyres, apparently its caused by storing them in to colder conditions.

How old is that tyre?

Ive seen cuts like that on new tyres, apparently its caused by storing them in to colder conditions.

I got these tyres end of June or early July by the look of it (date I started this thread), the bike has been stored mainly in an unheated garage but have had 1 or 2 nights in a frost.

Since they where new they have always been buggers for picking up flints and stones and burying them. This one was obviously the most critical, I hope to have a look at the tyre once its off the bike and see whats at the bottom of it, will see if I can get any good shots.