Brake pad change

TomGrainger

Hi all. I'm trying to change the rear pads on my SV650 and I'm a bit stuck. I've got the old pads off, but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get the pistons out far enough to fit the new pads in. Any ideas on what I could do guys?

Thanks as always

If the pistons are clean, try the above tricks.

Or just unscrew the bleed nipple and then push as there will be no pressure holding it. You will have to bleed the brakes after this, which I do anyway as it only takes 10 minutes after a pad change :)

If the pistons are clean, try the above tricks.

Or just unscrew the bleed nipple and then push as there will be no pressure holding it. You will have to bleed the brakes after this, which I do anyway as it only takes 10 minutes after a pad change :)

This is probably the best bet, i imagine your fluid needs flushing so doing both at the same time is worth it. I recomend a pipe that stops air being able to go back up the pipe mine cost me £4 totally worth it :D

This is probably the best bet, i imagine your fluid needs flushing so doing both at the same time is worth it. I recomend a pipe that stops air being able to go back up the pipe mine cost me £4 totally worth it :D

I got a warrior bleed kit from fleabay cost me £6 incl delivery comes with a one way valve to stop air getting back in, makes bleeding the brakes very easy. Company i got mine from was JJC race and rally, ordered a few bits off them and never had a reason to moan.

I got a warrior bleed kit from fleabay cost me £6 incl delivery comes with a one way valve to stop air getting back in, makes bleeding the brakes very easy. Company i got mine from was JJC race and rally, ordered a few bits off them and never had a reason to moan.

I got mine from a local place that sells all sorts of odds and ends. I'm glad i did as bleeding the brakes took almost no time at all thanks to them!

Hmmm.......I'm not happy unless I can push the pistons back in by hand after cleaning and red rubber grease...... :wink:

Jamjar with brake fluid in the bottom and some tubing was always the way to do it....... 8-)

*Other jars are available*

yup

I use a nescafe jar :)

I wouldnt be undoing the nipple to push the pads back! why introduce air in to the system if you dont have to! some systems can be a right pain in the arse to bleed once air is in there!

pump the piston out a touch and give it a good clean there is plenty of suggestions above on how to push them back in