query about application form

Guest petrolhead1989

hi guys

i know this is a random question, but i thought id ask on here, because this forum is fantastic for quick replies..

im currently filling in an application form, applying for a shotgun licence..

my query is. under "criminal convictions" section, i dont know what to put..

As i have been to prison before, back in 2012. But only got sentenced for 1 month..

BUT... the thing that is baffling me... My case, didnt involve the police, what so ever...

it was just getting a date for court, and judge sentencing me to prison..

So is it classed as a criminal conviction??

i dont know if its part of my criminal record or not..

because i never physically got arrested, or finger printed or anything like that..

I dont really like talking about my past, But im trying to be accurate as possible for my shotgun licence application.

because, obviously, if im incorrect, my licence application will be denied..

thanks

I guess a quick answer would be to the question: were you gaoled for a criminal activity?

Other than that, have a chat with the firearms people and see what they say.

i rang 101, and got transfered to the Firearms department, and even they didnt know!

you see my issue..

if i dont declare it, i could be penalised for it

But if i do declare it when i didnt need to, i could be refused it for no reason

I'm not a lawyer or a police officer but have worked in a job that involves dealing with people who have been to prison for various things. I would put money on it being classed as a criminal conviction that you will have to declare as you were convicted and sentenced to prison.

Seems an easy answer to me , you went to prison which means you was convicted so you got a criminal record, suppose it depends exactly why you got put away and how the licensing people see it.

it will also matter if the conviction is now classed as spent (i had criminal conviction which was spent after 2 years so no longer needs to be admitted to by me) in which case you shouldnt need to declare it unless they ask have you EVER been in trouble in which case i would say get it out in the open put it on the forms and see whats said,also if you are worrying about putting it on shotgun licence what did you tell your insurance company when they ask have you got any NON MOTORING criminal convictions?

it will also matter if the conviction is now classed as spent (i had criminal conviction which was spent after 2 years so no longer needs to be admitted to by me) in which case you shouldnt need to declare it unless they ask have you EVER been in trouble in which case i would say get it out in the open put it on the forms and see whats said,also if you are worrying about putting it on shotgun licence what did you tell your insurance company when they ask have you got any NON MOTORING criminal convictions?

it was nearly 3 years ago mate. 3 years in november.. And my sentence was only 56 days, :lol: So only did 28 days in custody...

So, is that classed as spent???

And as for insurance.. My insurance never asked me...

ive never actually been asked about non motoring convictions.. not once, but one company..

You must have broken the law at some point to get sent to prison?

There are several different ways to do this obviously that doesn't involve the police, but it's still breaking the law and they do give you a criminal record which shows up on any check that is made into your background.

I was caught shoplifting (a one off) over 30 years ago, and made to pay a fine plus costs. It is long spent but still flags up on CRB checks and I sometimes still have to declare it when filling in application forms.

Yes declare it or you can call the courts and ask if its still valid. If not then say nothing unless it asks of any criminal convictions ever.

If you end up in the slammer its criminal, even if its for something like not making sure your child goes to school and you get sentanced by a court, but never arrested just asked to attend.

As for insurance i dont remember a quote that i havnt been asked for non motoring criminal convictions, because i ask myself what the hell it matters everytime

it was nearly 3 years ago mate. 3 years in november.. And my sentence was only 56 days, :lol: So only did 28 days in custody...

So, is that classed as spent???

And as for insurance.. My insurance never asked me...

ive never actually been asked about non motoring convictions.. not once, but one company..

Pretty sure by law that all motoring insurance have to ask about non motoring convictions, certainly been on every quote I've ever had.

As i have been to prison before, back in 2012. But only got sentenced for 1 month..

BUT... the thing that is baffling me... My case, didnt involve the police, what so ever...

it was just getting a date for court, and judge sentencing me to prison..

Do you mean you were held on remand for a case that you were later acquitted of? If so, I'd say 'no' to any criminal convictions. However if you were sent to prison for a specific reason the the answer would be 'yes'.

We can't give you advice if you are not telling us the full story so you need to be straight up with us and tell us exactly on what grounds you were sent to prison.

Well.. just used google, tbh i would be shocked if you were given a license if that's how you behave..

i know :cry: But thats my past.. Did something silly, Got punished for it, Learnt from it, Become a better person from it, and still regret it every day...

Unfortunately, i cannot change the past. So have to live with that guilt..

But i can make good of my actions now.

yeah i know.

I got a light sentence, because i never physically hurt the cat.. There was no injuries.

I was just made example of by the courts.

Tbh, because of the nature of the offence, I think it will be hard for you to obtain a shotgun license. Anything history of mental instability is a red flag. It is really hard to get one anyway, but if you have a criminal conviction, it's even harder. Do you live in an urban area or out in the country? I ask this because you need a clear reason for owning a shotgun, not just because you think it would be cool.

Tbh, because of the nature of the offence, I think it will be hard for you to obtain a shotgun license. Anything history of mental instability is a red flag. It is really hard to get one anyway, but if you have a criminal conviction, it's even harder. Do you live in an urban area or out in the country? I ask this because you need a clear reason for owning a shotgun, not just because you think it would be cool.

yeah mate, mental health issues, physical health issues, and criminal conviction..

and yes pal, i live in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by fields, and local gun clubs..

i rang 101, and got transfered to the Firearms department, and even they didnt know!

you see my issue..

if i dont declare it, i could be penalised for it

But if i do declare it when i didnt need to, i could be refused it for no reason

This is baiscly a trust exercise.

They already know about you before they come.

Declare it. They will discuss it with you face to face when they check security.

I know people with fac who was convicted of armed robbey when he was a teen.

Shotguns are easy to get. Aslong as you dont have a recent conviction for something like robbery/fighting

You have to declare any spent convictions on a application for a sgc/fac