Motorcycle noob

Hey guys,

I did CBT once but I failed it because of my poor maneuverability.That was my second time riding a bike.I couldn't turn well and fell several times when I was doing the U turn and figure 8.What should I do to improve myself?

I am also going to do another CBT and an A2 licence.Some people suggest me getting a 125cc to practise alongside with the DAS.What do you guys think?Useful or just waste of money?

Please help!!!

Get a 125 and go do your cbt one on one, my other half done it although she ended up coming off on the road ride, the amount of time you have to practice things is more than enough, it was her first time on a bike and by the end of the off road session she was near on perfect.

It coat about £40 more than a regular cbt

The only thing as others have said is to practice.

What about doing a days training on a 125 with the school who did your cbt one on one.

That way you can practice what you need to.

Don't take your bike ( if you have bought one ) to a car park as you will be open to riding without insurance etc.

The only thing as others have said is to practice.

What about doing a days training on a 125 with the school who did your cbt one on one.

That way you can practice what you need to.

Don't take your bike ( if you have bought one ) to a car park as you will be open to riding without insurance etc.

I thought about this idea too

I think just need extra practises to ensure I can pass my A2

Because I got a car I don't think I will use my bike often other than practise and will sell it straight after I pass my A2

So now I am struggling with with whether buying a 125 to practise myself or take more lessons on a larger bike to prepare for my A2.

I'm planning to buy a second hand Yamaha YBR-125 with third party insurance and gear in total £1100

which option is cheaper?

Why did you fall off?

I failed the CBT on U-turns because I took the instruction to "look where you're going" to me mean to look where I was going. And where I was going was into a spot between a fence and a cone.

So that is where I was looking, at that piece of ground where I was expected to stop.

What I should have done was look "through" where I was going and into the distance. To look where I would be going were I not to stop, at the portacabin class room and office. Effectively breaking it down into two phases: the u-turn to be heading off into the distance (well, a wall made of metal), and then braking once I was heading in that direction (to not go into a wall made of metal).

I wish someone had explained all that to me (but I guess no one else thinks that way where "look where you're going" does not mean look where you are going) but luckily they said to come back in a week and with time to think it through I worked it all out for myself.

Then after passing I had a few problems early on where I fell over going very slowly around corners due to the engine stalling. Unfortunately having been suggested I do the CBT on an automatic I had poor clutch control caused by not using the clutch for control.

Using the clutch causes the engine to speed up, using the back brake (automatic style) causes it to slow down. Both can be used depending on the situations when you understand that.

If that is the problem then you just need to pull the clutch in slightly so you hear the revs increase, then open the throttle a bit more to keep your speed. Then use the clutch very slightly to control the speed. Just a quick light tap on back brake can help if you revs are high and you feel you are going too fast and want to loose some speed.

If you can go in a straight line okay I would think the problems is one of those two.

Mind, that all said I practiced U-turns all the time before getting the confidence to start riding further distances and was really good at them. But in real situations I have probably only managed one without putting my foot down so try to avoid them. So I know nothing. (There is always enough space to waddle into a three-point turn and make it at least 7-shaped in not L-shaped.)

Now I am no motorbike epxert but one thing that has stood me in good stead on motorbikes was my time on pushbikes...

If you have one dig it out and spend some time playing on it, you turns slaloms on and off kerbs, how slow can you ride? Not just riding down a road, ride one/ no handed but things that test your balance and you find difficult.

IMHO the balance will improve your confidence and if you have a bike already its free... I would say do CBT then get 125 then ride that for a whilst then start on A2

but there are lots of options and I am no expert...

Hiya,

I had loads of problems with my U turn and figure of 8 at first because I kept looking down at the ground rather than keeping my head up and picking a spot in the distance to head towards. When doing the figure 8 you need to make the cross over bits as straight as possible and don't feel like you need to keep really really close to the cones!

We were told to imagine a post we were turning round when doing the U Turn which is weirdly helpful as it gives you a fixed point to turn around. As said, practice makes perfect so you'll get there!