IT chat

Glorian

That looks very funky! I had a look at the cube shaped cases when I was looking, but couldn't find any soundproofed ones.

That one looks especially good in silver in my opinion :-)

I toyed with one of these but the cooler master eventually won down to reviews.

I have no facts to back this up, buy my assumption is that Intel are focusing more on getting more cores per processor/per watt, rather than greater speed.

Guessing it is quicker to have many things working quickly together rather than fewer things working frantically.

As I said, no facts/figures/anything to back that up. Just my feeling :-)

I didn't see much point in spending loads on a case, I just wanted one big enough to house at least two graphics cards, a big psu and be quite plain and simple. I think it only cost about £60 despite having usb 3.0 sockets and a HHD dock on the top panel. LED lighting inside was only £20 and stands out more with a "dull" case design.

Depends on the case for me. Some cases look absolutely fantastic and I don't mind paying good money for them if they are also well designed in side. My case was £71 when I bought it, which I thought was pretty good for a soundproofed case that still allowed airflow. It idoes not have the best cable management system ever known, but it's pretty tidy still.

I have no facts to back this up, buy my assumption is that Intel are focusing more on getting more cores per processor/per watt, rather than greater speed.

Guessing it is quicker to have many things working quickly together rather than fewer things working frantically.

As I said, no facts/figures/anything to back that up. Just my feeling :-)

I think I should have said they don't offer much performance increase overall, rather than stating "quicker" :). Possibly that's what Intel are doing (I'm notthat much a tech-head to know exactly), but it appears it's getting harder to extract more performance from each generation now.

My Haswell chip isn't that much faster than an old 2600K, the latest devil's canyon chips aren't much quicker than mine. I remember those days when you had at least a 50% performance bump with an upgrade

Yea I remember those days too. Now it is mostly about the hard drives that speed up your average pc. SSD's make such an impact on every day performance over traditional HDD. Some of my users think I have gave them a brand new, higher spec pc when I change it. Probably got something to do with the fact I also clean their laptop while I have it!

Intel are currently playing around with lots of new technology on ways of communication from what I've being getting. I keep getting invites to see their latest wifi displays and new conference solutions and other odd things. They are also making their processors more energy efficient so they can increase battery life in mobile devices. This is possibly so they can truly break into the mobile phone/tablet market.

Getting the impression that as AMD are not challenging them as much these days, they are not pushing core processor development as much.

It used to be that intel were better at work related topics so excel etc... and AMD were better for games etc...

im a bit out of the loop these days, but from sounds of it AMD are going the way of the third player that used to exist was it cyris or something like that

It used to be that intel were better at work related topics so excel etc... and AMD were better for games etc...

im a bit out of the loop these days, but from sounds of it AMD are going the way of the third player that used to exist was it cyris or something like that

I've read that AMD have better value for money, but have poorer performance. I was looking at buying the AMD FX 8350 (8 core)... But due to what I want to do on my PC, the 4690k is better performance... Single thread performance is much better on the intel and outperforms the 8350... I'm around at least 10 fps higher than the AMD!

I get it all the time, Mostly its family. Grand mother buggers up her PC quite a lot. She formatted it the other day without realising how. I don't know how / what she did to it :S

Also have friend who thinks he is IT genius. Not quite so much..

At least grandma has an excuse and i can accept that i used to help then neighbours out and mum and dad who were of the older generation, it was more mates that i have the issue with.

Doesent everyone have a friend who is an IT genius that always needs help rebuilding stuff after they have improved it.

Back in the day I used to build my own machines, this is back when you really had to check all the parts were compatable before ordering.

Ah, the joys of manually setting IRQs and resolving conflicts with shared expansion slots etc :roll:

:D

Oh yes, i am glad i am not the only one that remembers that,

To derail once again and go back to the earlier mention of Space Engineers... updated it over the weekend, still runs fine on my computer but the addition of planets makes its biggest flaw all the more painfully apparent - maximum speed is still 104m/s! Less than an H2R! I created a new game with a single planet and from my spawn point I pointed my starting ship at the planet and began flying forwards with no inertial damping. Then went to make my dinner. TWO HOURS LATER it got to the planet :roll:

Something doesn't quite work about a large scale sandbox space exploration game where the fastest ship can't even achieve 0.5% of escape velocity :up:

Ok, Yeah I completely understand that one Rant..

Eek.. Really thought they would have sorted it out.. Can't even get space engineers to run on my laptop, just crashes straight out.. ! Can't wait to move my PC into my new place to get back to some of the games..

Though with Space engineers, it would be cool if they combined the server with the Medieval engineers too.. Olde Age people building castles when suddenly a drop ship thumps down not 100 yards from their battlements!

I didn't see much point in spending loads on a case, I just wanted one big enough to house at least two graphics cards, a big psu and be quite plain and simple. I think it only cost about £60 despite having usb 3.0 sockets and a HHD dock on the top panel. LED lighting inside was only £20 and stands out more with a "dull" case design.

This was kind of my thoughts too.. Wanted enough room for everything I could ever want to fit comfortably with plenty of room for air movement!

http://media.apcmag.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2012/02/apcnews2012cooler-master-storm-trooper-238_mainImage1.jpg1.jpg

I built myself a custom rig a few years ago. it was more an exercise in interest than anything!

spent approx £4k on it - and it was redundant not long after!

ati radeon x1950xtx video card

asus rog motherboard (i forget which)

amd x5000 cpu (this was the best at the time!)

8gb ram (again - best!)

modular cpu

custom water cooling rig

- gpu water cooled (including mosfets)

- northbridge water cooled

- cpu water cooled

- 120x120 mm rad and a 120x240mm rad

- reservoir

silverstone temjin tj09 case modded to take all the extra water cooling.

i spent more money on other types of water cooling and other stuff to fiddle with like black uv lights and the like. i spent hours hiding cables as well! a lot of the stuff was brand new and never done before - which is all pretty normal now. I spent weeks on this thing. it was all old tech 6 months later and i vowed i'd never spend so much time/money on a computer ever again!