Planning European trip in 2016 - DIY vs. MTO?

iggy69

My first ever trip abroad was an 'organised tour' and on the one side I really enjoyed it and on the other hated every minute. it was far too regimented. with clearly defined routes, stops and deadlines. that might suit people who like to have everything taken care of. but I found it hugely frustrating. I lost count of the interesting signs we simply rode past.. now I know theres not time to do everything. BUT.

That was to the region around Lake Garda. in the 90s.

from my own perspective the best thing about it was learning just how easy it really is.. with just a little forethought.

I am definitely going this year and yes I've been on a few tours in UK and Europe, never with a tour operator though and this year I feel like lazy and maybe let someone else organize it. Thinking of Germany for a week or so but not the black forest, just too far, to much riding on motorways.

Thinking of Germany for a week or so but not the black forest, just too far, to much riding on motorways.

Nonsense!!

7 days to black forest and back would be a doddle!

you dont have to stick to the motorways!

you are in the north east so you could get the ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge motorway through most of Belgium then get off and explore the roads

take your time you have 7 days!

you could go around the Eifel area or across the Ardennes

We went to the Black Forest in 2014.. 400 miles from Calais to our B&B in Seebach (Pension Williams - Highly recommended)

we all travelled down to Ashford on the saturday afternoon, stayed at the travelodge then crossed using the Tunnel, sunday morning and rode across to seebach. and despite a panic search for petrol en route we still arrived in good time. It wasnt bad at all. had a few decent breaks including an hour for lunch. its a hike.. but very doable. bearing in mind there were a few people with me who had never ridden such a distance before.

its 260 miles or so to the best of the Ardennes/Eifel. and thats a very special part of the world.

its 260 miles or so to the best of the Ardennes/Eifel. and thats a very special part of the world.

well worth the 260 miles then get a hotel in the area for the night then to black forest the next day! :D

Thanks, but thanks! 400 miles in a day is for me is way too much (maybe I'm getting old-er ) I have done it before, including the black forest, but I'd do something easier in terms of daily millages. 2 - 3 hours on motorways from Rotterdam ferry and I could be in a spectacular area of Germany, somewhere like Cochem-Zell would be ideal. Anyone up for it?

We went to the Black Forest in 2014.. 400 miles from Calais to our B&B in Seebach (Pension Williams - Highly recommended)

we all travelled down to Ashford on the saturday afternoon, stayed at the travelodge then crossed using the Tunnel, sunday morning and rode across to seebach. and despite a panic search for petrol en route we still arrived in good time. It wasnt bad at all. had a few decent breaks including an hour for lunch. its a hike.. but very doable. bearing in mind there were a few people with me who had never ridden such a distance before.

That includes me!

I'm pondering going back to the PW this year :)

Wonder why often with MTO they have a large group of riders. It seems that it's not a rocket science to get yourself a decent holiday on a bike and organize it yourself. I've always done it that way but wanted to go with MTO once for a change. Friend of mine did that last year and was somehow disappointed. I don't want to mention the tour operator here but basically the group was so large (over 35 bikes) that it was really a self-guided tour for him.

£900 each.. good lord. If i had charged that I could have walked away with £4000 profit in my snugly fitting little wallet last year.

as it turned out.. I walked away with nothing. we all pay exactly the same.

Im not sure what the ferry costs are.. but on your own you'll pay half that including petrol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Touring Europe is easy and Bikers are welcome just about anywhere.

Use the French motorways (Tolls) or Belgium motorways (Toll Free) to get to the decent riding areas and off you go.

If travelling to Alpine Regions just be mindful that in reality your average will usually be around 30 mph during the course of the day.

If anyone wants any help or advice feel free to drop me a line http://www.pensionhausmaria.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. We don't have to be on your itinerary for us to help :D