This bike security any good?

I get that if somebody wants my bike so much, one way or another they'll take it. I'm just thinking of how to make them make a bit more noise and take longer before they have it.

I live on a busy main Street (so lots of eyes will see the bike) and only have the drive (yard is inaccessible from the back lane, neighbours landlord said no and it's a shared yard). So I am thinking of installing these on our drive.. Are they worth it?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/74263

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/74296

+ a simple bike cover, to protect the engine from the elements.

You're right, if they want it they'll get it. No experience with the products you've mentioned, but personally if it has to be in front of the house I'd go for two ground anchors, back and front, or better still rear wheel and main frame. Disc locks are a deterrent but a front wheel comes off too easily, and pro's will just lift the bike into a van and worry about a disc lock later.

Go on ebay mate, for a generic chain you can get much better prices on them. A brand doesn't offer any added protection!

Also if you want the best of the best, an Almax chain is the way to go. Heavy as hell but they are pretty much unbreakable to the opportunist thief.

If you want a generic chain that will stop opportunists who just want to walk away with your bike, this will be fine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8m-Metal-Mo ... SwYaFWe8hR

Combined with a disc lock like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-MOTORC ... SwX~dWmR79

That disc lock has a beefy alarm on it. It will scream like the name suggests and it's ear splitting. It drives thieves away and also draws attention to them.

Oh! And as you mention forgetting the indicator, get something to remind yourself the disc lock is on like a reminder cable. Otherwise if you try to ride off with that on you will have a load thunk and possibly do some big damage... And you'll fall off and no one likes to look silly :lol:

Hope that helps bud :thumb:

Edit - A ground anchor is good too. But if you want to keep thieves away, a cover and keeping it out of sight is the best combo with a ground anchor.

Edited by Fozzie

You're right, if they want it they'll get it. No experience with the products you've mentioned, but personally if it has to be in front of the house I'd go for two ground anchors, back and front, or better still rear wheel and main frame. Disc locks are a deterrent but a front wheel comes off too easily, and pro's will just lift the bike into a van and worry about a disc lock later.

:stupid:

Have to admit a cover will do a lot to deter the opportunists though.. Those drunk idiots walking home from the pub who think it's a good idea to shove a bike down the road with their mate on it, or knock it over just cos, for some reason seem to not notice bikes with a cover on as much..

Just my 2 pence :)

Chain wise you want something that cant be cropped and for it to be tied through the frame to something solid, ideally a buried ground anchor.

Takes seconds to crop most chains and its quiet. Bike then lifted without disturbing the disk lock and its away.

Almax do a good price if collected :thumb:

">

Someone somewhere mentioned how disc lock on the rear is more of a deterrent as it's harder to move the bike. On the front you just wheelie it up, on the rear tis heavier so harder to do. Unless you have some scaffold pole and a dodgy mate to help.

I fried my first one in the rain, it gets in where the speaker is usually.

When you park up, turn the handlebar to the left and steering lock, then mount the lock on the most covered part of the brake disc.

It’s a bit of a faff and when you come to undo it hearing the *BEEP* to let you know it’s about to come off sends you heart directly into your mouth :lol:

Or fashion a plastic bag to fit over the lock. Hey presto, mount it where you like. And it's waterproof…ish.

For the home a fake CCTV camera with one of those red hazes of an infra-red light put a lot of thieves off. They don't want their face on cam but some just don't care.

Buy a chain that is on the drop down list of approved chains when you insure your bike. I have a Kryptonite New York Noose 1275 that loops back on itself through the ground anchor and is attached with a disc lock.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/k ... 99539.html

I wouldn't bother with anything less than a 19mm almax or pragmasis chain, a torc ground anchor and a abloy 362 padlock, this will stop all but the professionals taking your bike.
Which length chain would you think I'd need for it to do a fig-8 inbetween the back wheel and over the seat and back down?

Which length chain would you think I'd need for it to do a fig-8 inbetween the back wheel and over the seat and back down?

Got some rope or even a hosepipe and a tape measure? You could use them to get an idea how much chain you need.

Got some rope or even a hosepipe and a tape measure? You could use them to get an idea how much chain you need.

I don't have the bike yet, I won't have it for at least another 2-3 weeks :(

connect a shot gun and lead to the trigger ..... as they open the door well i leave you to paint the picture HAHA ... i would expect it to be quite messy.

i use Trikmoto chain disc lock paddlock had no issue's bare in mind i have steering lock on and alarm lock on the front.

then its well tucked away and hidden. there have a been a craze of stolen bikes around by mine. bit of a light sleeper first noise and i am up prowing around...

if the feckers want something they will get it no matter what you do.

Agree they'll get it no matter what but I am going to make it as difficult as possible and make them sweat because it's taking so long and they can see me walking down the stairs, naked, but with a baseball bat [emoji1]

Agree they'll get it no matter what but I am going to make it as difficult as possible and make them sweat because it's taking so long and they can see me walking down the stairs, naked, but with a baseball bat [emoji1]

Steady on chap, almost lost my breakfast at that thought.

[emoji14]

I couldn't think of anything scarier than if I was stealing a bike, the owner coming out the house naked, I'd instantly be thinking "this guys f**king insane, I best do one as quick as possible"

[emoji39] haha

• 1 month later...

I work in the lifting industry and work with chains alot. I use a length of 16mm GD100 lifting chain for securing my bike at home and that stuff is hard enough to cut with a cutting disc, let alone cutters! Visit your nearest rigging company and you'll get beefy chain dirt cheap!

I work in the lifting industry and work with chains alot. I use a length of 16mm GD100 lifting chain for securing my bike at home and that stuff is hard enough to cut with a cutting disc, let alone cutters! Visit your nearest rigging company and you'll get beefy chain dirt cheap!

Hi rice pudding lol,

Where would i find some of these chains and roughly costs?