Internet gets creepy

bmwdave

My son is getting the ball and chain fitted in June, in Athens as shes from there and its the whole Big Fat Greek Wedding thing. Thats not the point of this, last night they were here discussing a hotel they had thought of using for their first night of wedded bliss, but which had been phenomenally expensive, rooms STARTING at £300/ night up to £1000 +. My ball and chain had a nosy at it on the internet, just to see how the rest of the world lives, and this morning she got an e-mail from them offering a special deal. Why worry about the government etc tracking our computer use when commercial organisations already are?

Attach the words "wedding" or "honeymoon" and prices increase ridiculously. :-)

I tried using a proxy IP thing when I was shopping for Thai brides but it slowed the internet down so I binned it.

I'm sure a computer whizz will be along shortly with an answer...

I tried using a proxy IP thing when I was shopping for Thai brides but it slowed the internet down so I binned it.

Did you get a Thai bride ? Was you after one with a pair of Italian tinned tomatoes ?

Yeah get your thai brides like the rest of us (mail order!)

Yeah get your thai brides like the rest of us (mail order!)

I gave up on them after the third one that just sat there in a heap and started to smell funny...

The "assembly required" bit was bad enough (my suturing is a rather haphazard), but I guess they're "batteries not included" too?

Maybe I just picked the wrong website :scratch:

Ah Thai brides... The lexmotos of the wife world.

On topic I agree the internets ability to track your movements is scary.

What is more scary is after the mrs used my computer the adverts went from tools/bikes for sale to pregnancy tests and baby food :shock:

Google uses its Internet search technology to serve advertisements based on website content, the user's geographical location, and other factors.

This is why I use Firefox and Adblock. I never see adverts when in the interweb.

Google uses its Internet search technology to serve advertisements based on website content, the user's geographical location, and other factors.

This is why I use Firefox and Adblock. I never see adverts when in the interweb.

Doesn't prevent you being tracked, just means you don't see the adverts.

Since the internet is basically funded by advertising, we are going to start seeing more and more sites that detect adblockers and prevent us from going further. The idea being that If they can't show you adverts (which fun their site), you don't get to see their website.

Since the internet is basically funded by advertising, we are going to start seeing more and more sites that detect adblockers and prevent us from going further. The idea being that If they can't show you adverts (which fun their site), you don't get to see their website.

Which is fair enough, really! Bit of an arms race though; ads got too intrusive, adblockers came along. Now adblockers get brushed aside, and the ads will grow ever more obtrusive in their efforts to be the one that you click, and so something else will be introduced to bypass them. Or people will just boycott websites that have particularly annoying ads, and people might actually have to start producing BETTER ads not just LOUDER AND MORE IRRITATING ones :lol:

Oh I know it still tracks you. But if I don't see the adverts then I don't care. I have been on a couple of sites which want me to disable adblock. But these sites are usually at the dodgy end of the interweb anyway. Usually streaming TV and film and sport sites. So I just go elsewhere. There are plenty of other sites about. I have been using firefox and adblock and pop up blocker for years with no issues. If they manage to break adblock then something else will come along. Its no biggie . Its just nice seeing the interweb how I want it.

Oh and I would love to see the tracking data on me and exactly what adverts they think I would react to. As I have never clicked on an advert on the interweb.