Chain Cleaning

tuktuk

I can never seem to make a decent job of this.

Anybody wish to share their tehnique?

I have a tub of kerosine but ive been really stingy when applying it not knowing if it will damage any paintwork etc it may get onto. So rather than spraying it on through a bottle i dip a toothbrush into a small pot of it and apply that way? Rinse it down afterwards with wd40 then dry and lube.

Watched a video of a guy just spraying the stuff onto the rear sprocket, getting it all over the back wheel and tyre. Granted he made a much better job of cleaning the chain but i wasnt sure wether its safe on paintwork or the tyre(slippy??).

Cover the wheel with a plastic sheet, use a chain cleaning brush and paraffin to degrease the chain. Finish cleaning using brake cleaner sprayed onto a terry towel.

Or get a bike with belt or shaft drive :)

Protect the rear wheel and then attack it with paraffin.

If you can take it off and leave it in a basin of paraffin overnight.

Those were my two preferred methods.

Get a big plastic bottle like you get screen wash from halfords in. Chop a slot out of the side big enough to take the chain. You then have an enclosed area to spray the chain cleaner and lube without getting it on your bike/wheel.

WD40 and a rag works for me.

Yeah I use this way.

I spray the chain with WD40, then use the brush chain cleaner to mobilize the dirt and then WD40 + rag to get it shiny.

I hold some cardboard behind the chain and then give it a good soaking, all the overspray just goes into the cardboard and none on the bike and definitely not the tyre.

I've started using WD40 and scotchbright pads on the chain then a hose and a rag to rinse the sh*t off. I used to use a piece of cardboard between the chain and the wheel when cleaning which kept the wheel cleaner but now I just soak the wheel with WD40 after and it cleans up real good very easily. Absolutely love WD40, i use it for everything.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of using WD-40 on chains.....it's not what it was designed for.

Most times I just use a rag to clean the chain......occasionally I use some Muc-off chain cleaner......and use Muc-off ptfe chain lube, which isn't sticky but doesn't fling off onto the rear wheel as much as oil..... :wink:

I bought a load of chain lube and cleaner at the excel bike show. It's good stuff, can't remember what it's called though... Useless post I know. Lol

I know chains get wet in the rain, but is it safe to blast them with water to dislodge any crap in the chain, as long as you oil/lube after?

Fit a Scottoiler

Holy crap what is this lizardry!? I've just YouTubed this, it looks so simple to install. My only issue would be it only seems to oil the outward facing side/edge of the chain, shouldn't you oil the whole chain?

WD40 Chain cleaner seems to dissolve any grime it touches. I spray some of that on all the chain, leave for a few minutes then go over it with a chain brush (£1 and a 5 weeks wait from ebay!) then wipe it clean with a rag.

Fit a Scottoiler

Holy crap what is this lizardry!? I've just YouTubed this, it looks so simple to install. My only issue would be it only seems to oil the outward facing side/edge of the chain, shouldn't you oil the whole chain?

I'll have one available when I get round to removing it from my bike...

Fit a Scottoiler

You can get one that has an outlet for both sides of the sprocket/chain, but it tends to spread to the other side anyway.

Tutoro is almost as good. And cheaper. And currently fitted to my Nelli :)