Boiler help

MrBrightside

So I've had British Gas tell me my boiler is kaput, totally. I have this weird micro turbo thing in my bathroom, a replacement can't go there as its too close to the window and a new boiler will have to be in a new location.

Can anyone give me advice re a national company who will do a decent job on installing a decent brand boiler at a good price, and that will do instalments?

f**king boiler. All I need.

Don't British Gas have a deal on where they take your old boiler in any state for £400 against a new one?

Not sure if that's ongoing, or if they are still more expensive regardless of that fact. But I know they do flexible repayments as well.

I know British gas have terrible customer service, but the one good point is they do any unexpected work free of charge. And there's usually always *something* that crops up.

Think that was as a part of the boiler scrappage scheme which has finished. BG now offer up to £200 off.

Don't know about payment options but I used Wayne Bell who runs Gas Monster http://www.gasmonster.co.uk/. He's not the cheapest but he is bloody good and a first rate chap. He doesn't dick about and won't try and flog you stuff you don't need.

He installed a new boiler for me when I was in Linton - the mains gas tap thing went tits up half way through the job but he replaced it and sorted some other bits without charging me extra.

He also did a friends boiler and bathroom on my recommendation and they were chuffed with his work.

I had 3 quotes to fit a new boiler including a new flue and gas line (I'd already done all the pipes and wiring).

1) £1800 from some bloke who didn't pass the personality test.

2) £2100 Gas monster

3) £3400 British Gas

BG also wanted to charge me to take away the scrap copper in my back garden. I got £160 for taking it to the scrappy 3 minutes down the road...

BG are very expensive. Best to get a local guy to do it for you if you can.

I had mine installed in the loft directly above the bathroom to ensure instant hot water to the shower :)

I have British Gas homecare thingy....the engineer told me this morning that the heat exchanger is leaking and that needs replacing as well as the front panel from water damage. Apparently this boiler has been obsolete for a very long time and both these parts are unavailable. So should I trust them or get a second opinion? I can get another engineer out for free via my home insurance...thinking I might just do that for peace of mind...

who ever you use make sure to check their corgi registration is current and up to date just for your own protection if you use british gas then all will be good smaller independents just ask the question

I dont think anyones corgi will be upto date.

Didnt that get phased out and replaced with gas safe.

MRB.

The heat exchanger on a boiler are normally a doddle to swap.

If you can send me a link of what boiler you have.

I'm on nights but will try n have a proper look at the spec tonight.

I'm an engineer by trade. (Fitted many a boiler on the old scotch)

Don't jump in with BG.

PM me if you like.

who ever you use make sure to check their corgi registration is current and up to date just for your own protection if you use british gas then all will be good smaller independents just ask the question

I dont think anyones corgi will be upto date.

Didnt that get phased out and replaced with gas safe.

:stupid: correct :thumb:

MRB.

Don't jump in with BG.

PM me if you like.

I recently changed my DHW heat exchanger on my 15 year old Halstead Ace boiler - it was a doddle, took half an hour with me doing it very slowly. Got the part new on ebay for £40. This was after British Gas telling me the parts weren't available and trying to flog me a new boiler.

MRB.

Don't jump in with BG.

PM me if you like.

That's cool thanks mate.

It's a Maxol Micro Turbo 40. Apparently it's the heat exchanger, but calling round some suppliers, they are saying its obsolete :(

MRB.

Google london boiler company.

They appear to hold moxol stock.

Shouldn't cost much to replace providing you can get the h\e.

If it wasn't so far I'd come n do it for a pint :D