Security – where to start

Planning ahead for my commute to work i'm looking for some guidance on what I need to get me started.

I will be leaving the bike in a city centre car park which has its own designated motorcycle area and has cctv. I have checked the bikes that are using the parking bay now and some use a chain some don’t seem to use anything( 4 bikes max are parked there now). Bearing in mind mine is a very old CG125 it probably isn’t that appealing to any lowlifes in the area, which isn’t a bad area if I’m honest so I was thinking of just a standard chain and lock. I have read Oxford are not recommended.

Home security is ok for now. The bike is left is the back garden and there is no way to move it out (unless they also steal both of the cars on driveway of course)

Best idea is to chain it too something, rather than just putting a chain through the wheel.

Chain should go through a soil bit of the bike , swingarm is usually good.

I have this combo http://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P13-x.x-SS50CS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As it is 13mm it can eventually be cut with bolt croppers, but I found the uncroppable 16mm chain to be far too heavy for me and my bike.

I find it is a nice compromise between security and portability.

Oxford stuff is a bit hit and miss their screamer disc locks seem to be very temperamental. I'd get a disc lock and chain - if there's 5 bikes and yours has nothing it makes it the easy target. May not be stolen to see if it's a bit old but joy riders may have a go.

I read that an article an ex theif wrote recently, they said people seem to think that being in a city center is more secure so they would go there looking for easy pickings.

A disc lock on the front and chain on the rear would probably be enough to deter any thief in daylight, also I have both oxford disc lock and also a heavy chain and I'm happy with the quality of both.

If you are going to park in the same place each day can you leave the chain there locked to something. Often see that in bike parks. Saves carrying it each day.

If you are going to park in the same place each day can you leave the chain there locked to something. Often see that in bike parks. Saves carrying it each day.

The local council might take exception to that, mine did at one point :scratch:

If you are going to park in the same place each day can you leave the chain there locked to

something. Often see that in bike parks. Saves carrying it each day.

If a theif happens to be watching bike spaces and sees this, all they do if cut the chains already there one night. Next morning bikes have to be left with no security as riders have nothing with them.

My chain is in a little gym bag thing that I strap to the back seat with short bungees. Too heavy to be in a rucksack, even if I didn't mind wearing one :-)

Not ideal - the criminals who want your bike fill the lock with superglue ensuring the next day your bike wont be locked up..

If ever you find your lock has been glued, park somewhere else because you know it's been targeted!

Aww! Just keep your eyes open for anything sketchy happening to the security devices on yours and others bikes. Put as much stuff on as you can carry to make it a hard target and you'll be fine :thumb:

Ok, so rapidly going off the idea of riding to work now. :D

:? Why?? Just trying to help you avoid those nasty little tea-leaves. Most big cities have secure bike parking facilities these days - which you seem to have identified. But even without those its a case of carrying a decent chain or disc-lock in a rucksack and being aware of any damage or changes to the security or chains etc. Don't let this put you off :thumb:

Ok, so rapidly going off the idea of riding to work now. :D

:? Why?? Just trying to help you avoid those nasty little tea-leaves. Most big cities have secure bike parking facilities these days - which you seem to have identified. But even without those its a case of carrying a decent chain or disc-lock in a rucksack and being aware of any damage or changes to the security or chains etc. Don't let this put you off :thumb:

No worries, only kidding. I ordered a chain last night aswell as a rucksack to put it in.

On my CG, I use a combination of the steering lock and one of these:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQ2MlgxMjk3/z/fb0AAOSwBnVW-0Y1/$_35.JPG

Yup, that's a bicycle lock :lol:

All I wanted was something that would stop someone giving the bars a sharp twist to break the steering lock then pushing the bike away, so I run that through the wheel a few times. On a CG... well, nicking it is now officially more effort than it's worth :lol:

Now you know! And knowing is half the battle.

CG.jpg.6afa7da17c634c9edb9587d717b1d30a.jpg

Just turn the bars all the way left then pop your key in the little lock I've circled. Of course, it might turn out that it needs a different key... I've heard that a lot of old CGs end up with a mix of different locks in different places. When I took mine for an MOT the bloke at the garage was amazed to see one that used the same key for the helmet lock, fuel cap, ignition, AND steering lock :lol:

I have both of these on mine and with them on my bike in a city centre id feel very secure. I also have a rucksack I take with me can hardly tell its there. Image1463672904.217042.thumb.jpg.0b1127066e863d681cff0f78d2d9a61d.jpgImage1463672914.965139.thumb.jpg.0192b9be761d975ae8f3492910f1255f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some good ideas on here. Chains are heavy as f**k. Mine is about 4kg, I've got a 1.2m, 13mm thick chain I use and it just fits under my seat. If you are going to carry a chain in a rucksack on your back then anything bigger than this is going to be very noticeable. I wouldn't fancy carrying mine like that, it would annoy me really quickly. And I'm a big tough guy too lol

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Now you know! And knowing is half the battle.

Just turn the bars all the way left then pop your key in the little lock I've circled. Of course, it might turn out that it needs a different key... I've heard that a lot of old CGs end up with a mix of different locks in different places. When I took mine for an MOT the bloke at the garage was amazed to see one that used the same key for the helmet lock, fuel cap, ignition, AND steering lock :lol:

Aww, got home all excited to try steering lock.....only to find I don't have one. No fair.

I have both of these on mine and with them on my bike in a city centre id feel very secure. I also have a rucksack I take with me can hardly tell its there. [attachment=1]Image1463672904.217042.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]Image1463672914.965139.jpg[/attachment]

That is the exact chain I have ordered BUT dumb question coming up. Is a disc lock only for use on brake discs? mine is a drum brake.

I have both of these on mine and with them on my bike in a city centre id feel very secure. I also have a rucksack I take with me can hardly tell its there. [attachment=1]Image1463672904.217042.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]Image1463672914.965139.jpg[/attachment]

That is the exact chain I have ordered BUT dumb question coming up. Is a disc lock only for use on brake discs? mine is a drum brake.

Ooh didn't know you had drums on the front there, They only work on disc breaks I believe. The chain is good though :)

Almax are the best chains you can get, but pricey, probably overkill for an old CG125

Oxford stuff isn't just hit and miss, it's miss, missed and missed yet again! You get what you pay for and Oxford stuff is stack it high sell it cheap, epitomy of the expression "buy cheap, buy twice"

Thanks, still can't find me steering lock though, someones had it away and left the bike!!

Can you post a picture of the ignition barrel? There's usually 3 positions, to the right is on. Off should be around the middle and then if you turn the wheel as far left as possible the key should then also turn all the way over to the left. Don't worry I didn't know mine had one until someone asked why I don't put it on [emoji23]