Nervous I've adjusted chain wrong

So after oil, oil & air filter, brake fluid, levers and footpeg changes, ECU remap and next week I'm fitting a new oil sensor (all done by myself).. Only thing left was for me to attempt to take some slack outta my chain.

I'm paranoid I've done something wrong and/or its gonna be outta line. I've checked and triple checked and I'm gonna check it again in the morning before I go out.

Any tips to ease the anxiety?

Sit on it if the chain is tight its too tight, normally 1/2" movement laiden is ok.

If you have the same numbers on the adjuster left and right its in line

Edited by Anonymous

I'm just nervous each adjustment isn't exactly the same [emoji87]

Count the bars should be about the same, if its 1/4 line difference wont make a massive issue

Edited by Anonymous

I think I'm just being pedantic about how exact it should be [emoji85]

Have a beer :cheers: and enjoy a pat on the back for everything you have done.

I'm just nervous each adjustment isn't exactly the same [emoji87]

Count the bars should be about the same, if its 1/4 line difference wont make a massive issue

Yeh , just hopes its not to tight though .

Get a chain monkey? Was great for my 125 as the chain seemed to take miles to bed in from new.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Get a chain monkey? Was great for my 125 as the chain seemed to take miles to bed in from new.

I've heard of these but I've recently spent so much money on servicing bits plus all the tools to do everything myself I can't justify anything more just yet if it's not necessary [emoji39]

I know the feeling mate. If we lived closer you could have used mine. I think it was about £25.

Last track day i was at a guy showed me how to do it with a vernier. Id had mine about 1mm out and spent a while eyeing it up against the markers. Vernier on it and it takes no time plus you know its pretty much bang on.

Last track day i was at a guy showed me how to do it with a vernier. Id had mine about 1mm out and spent a while eyeing it up against the markers. Vernier on it and it takes no time plus you know its pretty much bang on.

Was the back wheel off the ground with bike in gear and pressure on the wheel to takeup the slack? Was the chain hot? Suspension sag adjusted correctly?

1mm accuracy on chain tension is relative to many factors and in practice not achievable

Was the back wheel off the ground with bike in gear and pressure on the wheel to takeup the slack? Was the chain hot? Suspension sag adjusted correctly?

1mm accuracy on chain tension is relative to many factors and in practice not achievable

He is talking about 1mm out in alignment ;-)

He is talking about 1mm out in alignment ;-)

Ah ok, that makes a bit more sense...

But measured where? From rear is swingarm to spindle?

Liam! If it is out you will feel it because the back will just be HORRIFIC. Place I went for a puncture when they put it back together had the marks off by about a quarter (so one side was say 2 and a half notches on the swingarm and the other was getting close to three!!). Lined it back up by eye instantly felt better.

If it looks close on the notches by eye you will be fine. The thing you really want to worry about is have you tightened the rear axle back up :wink:

Also I echo what tuktuk said - top stuff on getting stuck in!

• 3 weeks later...

As said already, better a little loose if anything.

Alignment wise, just take the chain guard off and do it by combination of eye and using the notches. Can measure between edge if the axel and back of swingarm if paranoid,

Tension wise, it will often say in the manual. You want to measure at the centre point of the chain, as in centre between the two sprockets, not centre of the swingarm.

Generally, if you follow the above and it's not making an odd noise it's all good.