What to do next - CBT and 125 or DAS and 600cc?

CBT done in May this year. Been using my T Reg CG 125 for my daily commute for a couple of months now and trying to gain experience. To be honest its been a great bike for me to get into biking with but already only a couple of months in and I know its not going to be a keeper It’s fine on the B roads (limited are 40 mph max) but if I need the quicker route I take the A road but it struggles to get to 55mph and really struggles to hold 40-45mph on an incline. Its just too slow and painful although great around town. Drum brakes are not great though.

Currently funds are limited to about £2000 max so my options are:

Buy a new Chinese bike for £1500, looking at the Lexmoto ZSX-R and continue on a CBT cert for another 12/18 months. The blurb tells me that I can do 70mph on one, maybe/maybe not but a steady 60mph would do me in all honesty. I have seen the bad reviews of the previously released Chinese bikes but some have been ok and the new releases look more promising. Rust has been an issue but in the winter months it will be sheltered form the elements.

Or

Do my DAS during this summer hopefully over a few days for £629 (if I pass first time) which would leave me little money for a 600cc which I know I will want as soon as I’ve passed.

Of course I would like to be able to ditch the l-plates and have the option of buying/riding any bike but due to current money available I don’t think I could pick up 600cc cheap enough to get me on the road quickly, also if I’ve passed my test then riding the CG will be even more of a bind.

I also need to bare in mind that I’m probably not going to be riding (to work)through the winter months and will pick and choose my weekend rides, however, this might change. But realistically only got a few months of commuting this year. I enjoy local weekend rides at the moment but have to plan carefully to avoid any major/steep roads.

I enjoy my commute and actually look forward to riding to work (apart from the occasional A road pain) but I’m thinking I would be happier on a shiny new slightly quicker bike so I’m really undecided whether to continue on the CBT with a new 125 bike straight away and go for my DAS next year and something bigger eventually. I am extremely impatient so I’m leaning towards the new 125 and a DAS next year.

Sorry to ramble on…….any advice appreciated.

I really regret not discovering the joy of riding 20 years ago…………

You're right, there are two options:

* Buy a faster, more able 125 and ride it on L plates

* Do DAS and get a bigger bike

Reading your post, I think you're always going to be a bit frustrated on a 125. So if you can afford it, I'd think about doing DAS, flogging the CG and using the funds to by an older 500/600. You should be able to pick up a reasonable older bike for around grand if you shop around. An ER5 or CB500 or a Bandit, say. But can you really do DAS for £629?? That's a bargain! Does this include the costs of the three tests (theory, Mod 1 and Mod 2)? The biggest hole in this plan, though, is where does it leave you if you fail one of the tests? A failure will means coughing up the test fee plus the tuition fee for at least enough time to ride to the centre, take the test and ride back. (Tip: choosing a school near the test centre keeps the cost of a test down). So do your sums carefully and make sure you're not left stranded if you need to do a retest.

If you decide that DAS isn't the way to go, then I'd recommend any option other than buying a Chinese bike! Most are made of sawdust and cheese, and you're unlikely to see much of your money back when you come to flog it on. I don't know, but I'd be thinking of something like a secondhand Cagiva Mito or, if funds allowed, a YZF R125,

Thanks for replies.

I have double checked the £629 and it is correct. Its includes mod 1 and mod 2 training and test fees. Not theory test though.

'The above charges include three hours training for Module 1 plus the run to the purpose built test centre at Greenham. Six hours training for Module 2 plus the run to the test centre in Salisbury with an hour before the test. You would complete the training on a date before the day of the test. Conversions and Module 1 training usually take place at weekend or can be on a weekday if the school children are on holiday. Module 2 training can take place any day. Tests are always on a weekday'

Another option... Do the DAS this summer and then stick with your 125 until the spring when you might have saved a bit more, plus it gives you more time to find a good bargain. If you're not going to ride much over the winter it can be frustrating to get a new bike then park it up for a few months.

I would do the DAS and then use whatever money you have left for a PCP deal on a shiny new bike. I'm thinking of doing this exact same thing and quite like the Yamaha MT-07 which is very affordable on a PCP deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have double checked the £629 and it is correct. Its includes mod 1 and mod 2 training and test fees. Not theory test though.

'The above charges include three hours training for Module 1 plus the run to the purpose built test centre at Greenham. Six hours training for Module 2 plus the run to the test centre in Salisbury with an hour before the test.'

The theory test isn't too expensive, at £23, but factor it in. The training times listed seem a bit skinny, I'm more worried about the Mod 2 only allowing you 6 hours. I realise you've been riding for a while now, so not fresh to it, but it still doesn't sound like long to get the hang of all the scenarios the test might throw at you, get used to the bigger bike etc.

However, that's still the route I'd take, it gets rid of the L plates, and doesn't even force you to get rid of your 125 if you simply don't have funds or can't find a bigger bike. But is setting you up the future when you may be able to buy the bigger bike. and that's why I would and did do it.

Good luck whichever way you go!

'The above charges include three hours training for Module 1 plus the run to the purpose built test centre at Greenham. Six hours training for Module 2 plus the run to the test centre in Salisbury with an hour before the test.'

The theory test isn't too expensive, at £23, but factor it in. The training times listed seem a bit skinny, I'm more worried about the Mod 2 only allowing you 6 hours. I realise you've been riding for a while now, so not fresh to it, but it still doesn't sound like long to get the hang of all the scenarios the test might throw at you, get used to the bigger bike etc.

However, that's still the route I'd take, it gets rid of the L plates, and doesn't even force you to get rid of your 125 if you simply don't have funds or can't find a bigger bike. But is setting you up the future when you may be able to buy the bigger bike. and that's why I would and did do it.

Good luck whichever way you go!

Should have mentioned you also get 3 hours 'conversion' training, so basically getting used to going from a 125 to 600.

Buy a new Chinese bike for £1500, looking at the Lexmoto ZSX-R and continue on a CBT cert for another 12/18 months. The blurb tells me that I can do 70mph on one, maybe/maybe not but a steady 60mph would do me in all honesty. I have seen the bad reviews of the previously released Chinese bikes but some have been ok and the new releases look more promising. Rust has been an issue but in the winter months it will be sheltered form the elements.

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Hahaha-No-Meme-11.png

1. Lexmoto lie. For one thing their speedometers lie, usually read anything up to a good 10% higher than actual speed. And their advertised top speeds must have been measured downhill in a favourable wind, because my old Lexmoto was advertised as a 70mph top speed and it managed 60 on a good day, if you ragged it all the time. I think it hit 70 once... going downhill, wind on my back,slipstreaming a lorry. Also, it's a naked... so wind resistance isn't going to do your top speed any favours.

2. Resale value on Chinese bikes tanks, no exceptions as far as I'm aware. Korean stuff like Hyosung holds value a tiny bit better, but a Lexmoto or a Sinnis will be worth less that half what you paid for it pretty much from the moment you ride it off the forecourt. Selling up when you do get a bigger bike will be a harrowing process.

3. If you want to maintain the warranty on a Lexmoto, you can look forward to ridiculously frequent dealer services compared to a Japanese bike. Roughly half a dozen wearing in services (first one after 100km!!!). Even after wearing it in, you can be looking at as little as 2000 miles per service. And you'll need that warranty, because part failure isn't exactly rare. In a year I went through three solenoids, a front brake caliper, a set of clocks, two fuel gauges, an inlet rubber, and assorted other little bits.

4. They're badly built. Again, in that first year: one of my headlights FELL OFF while riding, had to tie it back on with some ribbon from a nearby florist. My CDI unit fell out the bottom of the bike, thankfully while on the approach to my house so only the corner of the outer casing was ground down. The cables were wrapped too tightly around the headstock and subsequently tore free from the clocks. The bodywork didn't sit flush and subsequently rubbed through one of the wires, killing the lights. The brake caliper didn't distribute force evenly across the pad, which wore it unevenly, and later seized. The rear axle wasn't greased and so rusted in place and took god only knows how much penetrating fluid and brute force to remove. When I changed the chain and sprockets, I found mystery bits of metal and a bolt inside the front sprocket cover... no idea where they came from :shock:

5. The parts availability isn't actually all that bad when the bike is a current model, but the second they discontinue it you're screwed. My bike was introduced in late 2012 and discontinued in early 2015, and when I did the chain and sprocket change I ended up having to bodge on parts from a Suzuki DR125. When an old dear decided to crash into me, the bike was a write off despite generally surviving quite well because it was impossible to source a new right hand fork leg.

6. Rust is a problem no matter where you keep it or how hard you try to keep it clean. I cleaned mine after work EVERY DAY - no exaggeration - and the subframe, headstock and swingarm still rusted like crazy. One time I cleaned it thoroughly then rode to the seaside - joked that it would be visibly rusty by the next day. And it actually was! And it was always covered, and I even had a towel to dry it off after wet runs. That bike was endlessly pampered and it still rusted.

Tl;dr

Chinese bikes are shit, buy a second hand Jap bike. Anyone that tells you otherwise with all the "Chinese bikes are getting better" or "Japanese bikes were bad once too" is just a Chinese bike apologist who spent too much time trying to convince themselves that their own Chinese bike was actually money well spent and ended up believing their own crap :lol:

The only notable exception would be the CFmoto/WK 650 models, they don't seem to be too bad. But that's a whole different ball park to a mass produced sell-and-forget 125.

Yeah, the name isn't just for show :mrgreen:

But amen to that. I've had a Lexmoto and I've now got a CG as an about-town bike. My CG is one of the limited edition 4-speed race gearbox models (yes, they did that... Honda Japan thought it would be fun, apparently) and it really doesn't move much slower than the Lexmoto did, runs out of puff at around the same time. But it goes wrong a lot less often, the service intervals are VAST in comparison, the parts are still cheap and readily available even though the limited model is based on the old pre 1985 model, and of course it's easier to work on... You name it, the CG is better.

Look at it his way:

Your CG is a first world bike designed specifically to withstand the punishment of third world ownership.

Chinese bikes are second world bikes designed to a budget.

So decided last night that doing a DAS soon is the way to go (confirmation was when a gleaming R1 pulled up next to me this morning). Stick it out for the rest of the year on my Honda CG and hopefully bigger bike next year.

So Theory test is booked for next week. Never taken one before as they came in a year after I passed my driving test.

Get the camrider theory apps for the q's and hazard perception, well worth it

Is there a link for that please? I've tried google but keeps directing me to a training school in Peterborough

Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe these are the Camrider apps:

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/motorcycle-theory-test-hazard/id600089803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deepriverdev.motorcycle.hpt&hl=en_GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Camrider ones might be just the free versions of them though, that only cover half the topics. Although those ones also have a menu option for "Schools" which shows the Camrider locations on a map.

I believe there are also desktop versions of them on the Mac and Windows app stores. I used the iOS one though and just doing all the practice questions was enough to get me through the actual test.

Yes das! My bike was only 1500 and apart from a few small issues it's merrily done 6000 miles in 9 months and all weather. So really what I'm saying is buy a ninja

Yes das! My bike was only 1500 and apart from a few small issues it's merrily done 6000 miles in 9 months and all weather. So really what I'm saying is buy a ninja

Really £1500? What year is that?

I'm struggling to find training dates any time soon :( I need weekend training as im woefully short on leave entitlement at work. not happy :(