new battery YTX5L-BS, bike still wont go

savo318

I got this battery YTX5L-BS Motorcycle Battery for Honda 150cc CRF150F 2007, from amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/YTX5L-BS-Motorcycle-Battery-Honda-CRF150F/dp/B01DOITE0G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1474324377&sr=8-4&keywords=YTX5L-BS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

its the right battery, and i fitted it when fully charged, and although it turns the bike on ,powers lights and everything else, the bike wont actually turn over. in fact as soon as i try, the battery reads empty.if any of you could take a look at my facebook i've got a short video of it on there, peter savage, you cant miss it, my picture is of my son holding his first fish.

any help really apreciated.

thanks

If the volts drop on the battery on cranking the battery is faulty, or you have a bad connection on the frame earth.

I would double check battery voltage with a multimeter off, ignition on and cranking

10v min during cranking, anyless the battery is kaput

Why replace battery ( what was the issue before ?)

Not seen video but could be a knackered starter motor shorting to earth ...

You could try finding the starter solenoid and bridging the two large cable connections on it with a screwdriver BRIEFLY to see if the starter turns THIS DOES CAUSE SPARKING AND GETS HOT just to see if it is starter related or solenoid issue THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I ACCEPT NO LIABILITY .

Ok ... is the engine seized?

If a geared bike

Get sufficent room ...on a level non slippery surface

Engage top gear ( ignition off for now )

Pull clutch in

Run beside it and release clutch and see if the bike will turn the rear wheel ( it may slide a bit but should turn with enough pace )

Basically bump starting the bike

Or if a helper available one sits on bike and does clutch etc whilst other pushes

Just to see if everything turns as it should .

thanks for your help all. i stripped the starter motor, and found that one off the bushes had rusted into the housing so wasn't in contact with the copper in the middle. Now it starts first time all the time. the only problem now ( and im sorry to be a pain), is that the engine will keep going so long as i have a bit of pressure on the accelerator, but if i let the revs off then the engine wont idle, it just stops.

Could this be the spark plug, or is it maybe down to the small amount of old fuel i had to leave in because i couldnt get it out, apart form the idling it goes and sounds great.