Increasing from 30mph...!

Hello again!

I wrote into the forum a little while ago after falling off the bike on the second lesson and all the words of encouragement here got me back on. So thankyou!

Had a lesson this morning and have been on the road twice now. Wondering if you found the transition up to 50/60/70 mph? Atm I feel like a rocket at 30! My instructor suggested it might be an idea to go ahead and get a 125cc so I can increase confidence on my own too.

Do many people make that transition with speed on the back of a weekly lesson? Getting my own bike isnt straightforward just at the moment...!

Many thanks in advance!

Laura

Edited by newbiegirl123

Everyone is different.. if you cannot get a bike of your own just yet then all you can do is to buy lessons as and when you can afford them. if the school you are with are unwilling to take it easy with you to get you past this speed hurdle, then consider moving to another school.

What are the roads like around you?

Is it the speed as such or the circumstances around it?

I found getting to 60 hard work on a 125, Had my first go on a 650 today and found it much better.

Im not sure mas101 but that's reassuring you found it easier on a bigger bike. Congrats! I feel out of control any faster than 30mph I suppose. I can't even fathom what any faster would feel like but I'm pretty stubborn so I'll get there eventually...

The roads aren't too bad. My instructor has me out and about on quietish parts. There's still traffic but it's nothing daunting.

Hello again!

I remember doing about 20mph on my CBT and being utterly terrified. As in ARGHGHGHGGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH in my helmet for about 10 minutes terrified :lol:

It will come with time (I am sure people will be along soon to confirm I do not have an issue with speed now :roll: ) but just gently increase it don't try and go from 30 to 60 in one go! As you become more competent with with actual riding and changing gears and all that silliness then your brain will free up more room for observing the road and you'll find it easier to go quickly as you don't have to spend as long thinking how to change gear or how not to stall when you stop or forgetting to cancel your indicator :lol:

If you can afford a 125 to pootle about on then it's always good to get experience. Just don;t get a Chinese one :lol:

Also bigger bikes don't feel as fast as the speed is "easier", less movement from wind and road bumps and the engine isn't working as hard so generally smoother at the higher speeds.

Keep us updated :thumb:

Hi Laura what bike are you riding? l'm currently teaching my partner Sue to ride, she riding a Yamaha YBR125 and doing fine, these little bikes are ideal for learning to ride on, but become more difficult to ride near to there limits which is 50mph plus, strongly agree with the rest they are nowhere near as stable or as easy to ride as a bigger bikes, so for the moment just enjoy what you've got and concentrate on building your road craft. Another question l would like to ask, are you using any ear protection - ear plugs? If not, you will find as your speed increases the wind noise becomes more prevalent and big distraction to a point of becoming scary, also over a period of time you can damage your hearing. Riding with ear plugs will really helps you concentrate. If your really not sure about speed - never tried it, why not ask your instructor to take you out for a ride for the experience. Enjoy stay safe

Takes a little while to get used to the speed. Don't worry about it too much, it's a bit like going to the gym or something like that, you do what is comfortable for you right now, and over time it gets easier without you really noticing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming from a car to a 125cc I initially felt very vulnerable, which I think made getting up to speed a bit terrifying. I'd say it took me about 20 or so hours over a couple of weeks to be comfortable using the 50mph road through the city on my 125cc. Now, so long as the wind is not too strong I feel fine going as fast as my little bike will take me! (About 70mph tops! :lol: )

Getting to 60-70mph on a 650 bike is much quicker time wise, and as the bike is heaver I found it more "reassuring" (can't think of another word...). They generally feel much more planted on the road than the lighter bikes.

I'd second the suggestions of wearing ear plugs if you do not already. Good earplugs will block out the wind noise, but you will still be able to hear and feel the engine to know when to change up and down the gears.

I absolutely hate riding without my plugs now.

Just take it easy and it will come as you get more confident on the bike.

And again do wear ear plugs. As you get faster the wind noise increases.

Hello again!

I do not have an issue with speed now :roll: :

We've noticed :wink:

I think it's down to your instructor. I am not one to suffer speed and my instructor pushed straight out the box to be doing the speed limit everywhere and very quickly you desensitise to it and feel comfy on the bike. Trust in what your being told and look where you want to go and further up the road than normal is my advice. Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm new to this game. Took CBT in May and picked up a 125cc. First time I got to 30mph I couldn't believe how windy and noisy it was and couldn't quite fathom going any quicker. But with time and experience I upped the speeds to 40 then 50. My 125 couldn't do much over 50 anyway but I was comfortable at that speed and then thought nothing of it. Then passed MOD 2 and got my first 600cc and the learning starting over again, getting to 60-70mph, the wind, the noise, the almost coming off first time I passed an articulated lorry and bus when the wind blasts hit me. Now after a little bit of riding at these speeds I think nothing of it. I still suck on corners though! I think for me its just and time and experience that makes things seem more 'normal'.

I reckon all the above is good advice.

When my missus did her CBT, she also found it hard to get much above 30, and the instructor advised her to go and ride around on a 125 for a while, to build her confidence up. My guess is that, if they feel someone's going to need a bit of time to do this, then they advise this as it's going to work out cheaper than continuing with lessons. But it's up to you; whichever way you choose, you'll continue to learn. Even if you can get a 125, then you might want try doing something like one lesson every month or two, so you continue to get some instruction as you go.

I did the by a TBR125 and pottered about doing a lesson every couple of weeks. By the time I passed by test after 7 months I was ready to some higher speeds. My highest ever speed on a motorbike was an indicated 91mph. I am not really into speed and my ride outs are at the comfy touring speed of around 50mph.

Just take it easy and it will come as you get more confident on the bike.

And again do wear ear plugs. As you get faster the wind noise increases.

As a newbie rider who's recently transitioned from a CB125F to a MT-09 Tracer I'd agree the use of ear plugs is a good thing for the big bike and journeys where I know a bit of speed or a long trip is on the cards.

However, on my daily commute through Edinburgh, I really feel the benefit of being able to clearly hear not just my own bike but everything else around me. Also, when I first passed my CBT and got myself my 125 I spent 8wks or so just learning the basics and a big part of that was about getting the experience of how other road users behaved around me. Clear crisp hearing without ear plugs to dampen things helped me because I tried with and without and definitely preferred the latter.

e.g. Think of it in the same way as you did when first passing your car test - it felt really weird driving the car with the radio on for the first time because it was a new distraction - same deal for me with the ear plugs in.

Totally used to it now however and wouldn't hit the motorways or a long journey without them. :wink:

As for the speed thing - been well covered by everyone else. Feeling vulnerable on a 125cc when learning is certainly something that's perfectly normal (at least in my opinion) and if you do move up to a bigger more stable bike you'll be amazed at the difference.

Take your time - confidence grows with ability - ability grows with experience. You can't beat miles on the clock to improve your confidence, ability and experience.

At least that's my $0.02c worth after a whole 2.5k miles worth of experience. I probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about. :roll:

Apologies for the delay in replying! Thankyou all taking the time to write- I appreciate it so much! I haven't been wearing ear plugs, no, but I will start bringing them to my lessons. A friend and I went for dinner today and she laughed when I told her I was learning. Some people are so strange, instead of building you up make you feel a bit of a dickhead for trying something! O well! Thanks again everyone, I shall keep you posted, especially when I try a bigger bike. (I'm not sure what bike I am learning on as I just changed teacher- my old instructor wasn't explaining things to me clearly enough so I moved instructor last week, It's a Honda is all I know. I shall ask this weekend!)

Have a nice week x

When I moved onto the bigger bikes I actually found it harder to stay at 30 and it felt quite slow after a while. It got a bit scary the first time I reached 60 on a big bike as it was a naked so the wind was a bit of a shock but soon the adrenaline kicked in and I was laughing and smiling in my helmet and I now look forward to going from a 30 road to a national speed limit as the burst of acceleration to 60ish is awesome.

Bottom line is confidence will come from experience so chin up and keep persisting

I'd be curious to know why other people wanted to learn too.

Well I'm approaching 40 and having a midlife crisis, or at least that what my missus thinks :)

I've always liked the sound and look of sports bikes and so finally decided to indulge my curiosity and learn to ride.

The friend you mentioned, who laughed....she's just jealous because you are going to look super cool rocking up to places on a beast of a bike one day in your leathers and she secretly wishes she had the guts to do it herself.

If you are anything like me, after a while 30mph won't feel as fast anymore, but 40 will feel too fast. Then after a bit longer, 40mph will feel fine but 50 will feel too fast. And so on and so forth. And then one day you will realise you are speeding on a dual carriageway and have to make yourself slow down!

You'll also get those who will lecture you on how dangerous motorbikes are.....

don't you know how dangerous they are !!!

I've been riding motorbikes almost since i took my stabilisers off, 30mph went when common sense and courtesy was popular