Handling Issue

Westbeef

Ello All,

Ever since I had my off a few months ago I've really struggled in the wet/slightly damp with my bike, I still get all tense if I have to stop quickly in any conditions. I feel mostly OK in the dry so I thought it was just in my head as my confidence was knocked, but I still have 0 confidence in the bike and I think there's more to it.

The rear end feels like it has 0 grip at all, before I came off it felt fine I didn't have any issues at all. I've tested it coming to a stop at slow speed using only the rear break and it slides quite easily. Roundabouts and tight corners also make my rear feel like its very loose(no anal jokes please). Obviously the first place to look is the tyre but as it was fine before I came off I wasn't sure, I'll stick a photo up of it's condition later to get your opinion, I think it's got plenty left and I keep the tyre pressures correct as I know that can have a similar effect. Is there anything else that could do this? Could over-adjusting my rear brake have a similar effect? My wheel was knocked out of alignment with my forks when I came off, could setting this back incorrect do the same thing?

Incorrect alignments will dramatically effect handing.

Bent forks can cause a bike to track one way

Any contamination on the tyre can cause issues

A dragging brake can cause issues slowing the rear end trying to make it slide

Fear/nervousness over highlights issues as well and is normal after an incident . Most who crash will always have issues on similar aspects of riding ..dislike left or right hand bends etc etc

Thanks Tim, Ive wound of the brake a little now to see if that improved anything and I obviously need to check the alignment and forks. Whats the best way to do this, I understand the markings aren't the best method on confirming alignment.

Below is a pic of the tyre which has plenty left.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/e65095a743e456c3e5240e5a84d7c69b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I've been searching for something else but the stupid sizes of these tyres means I'm stuck. What's the best way to check my alignment? I might have messed that up when I changed my chain & sprocket. I may just have to get it aligned properly by a garage, that gonna be expensive?

Well whilst I'm at work and we have 6 Meter lengths of hydraulic tube, I'll use them for a quick easy check over my dinner and see how it looks. It can't be that far out from the indicators on the adjuster can it? I've measured the distance from the nuts on the rear axle to the back of the indicator slot to make sure it's the same distance when setting mine in the past.

usually the bike steering to one side is a tell tale sign

Its more than likely just in your head from the off

I am a big fanny in the wet!

I'm sure it's 95% my head, I was just hoping I could man up a bit after this long. My dad took it out and said it was fine after the off. I always wonder if most bikes are a bit shit in the wet and they all feel a little loose.

pretty much what Tim said

What tyres are they?

ContiGo's, apparently the best choice out of two options for this bike.

I've seen them nicknamed Conti Let-Go's quite a few times, due to their apparent wet weather performance. I have them on my YBR too :|

What are your other options? The go-to tyre for the YBR is apparently the Michelin Pilot Sporty

I know what you mean about confidence though. I had a low speed (luckily) off at the beginning of the year which was in the wet and knocked my wet weather confidence no end. Before that, I was happy to throw it around much more and never had an issue, but after that I found myself tip-toeing around in the wet.

It's still not what it used to be but I'm more confident now, although the thinner rear on the YBR worries me a little, as does the tyre itself.

Edited by Fizzy

tyres a major factor in the wet

I have had some that are just awful the michelin pilot road 4's are really good they haven't slipped once in the wet and feel really stable

the only thing holding the bike back is me!

I have had some big moments in the past in the wet

I would rather be a fanny and get their then be brave and not get there :wink:

pretty much what Tim said

What tyres are they?

ContiGo's, apparently the best choice out of two options for this bike.

I've seen them nicknamed Conti Let-Go's quite a few times, due to their apparent wet weather performance. I have them on my YBR too :|

What are your other options? The go-to tyre for the YBR is apparently the Michelin Pilot Sporty

Yeah I have seen they arent the best. My tyres are 80/100-17 and 100/90-17

Apparently these are oddball sizes and its either ContiGo or TSV and the latter being extremely bad. That was when I was researching the bike in March. I don't know if there are more options now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah they are odd sizes!

you get more choice with a 80/90 front which shouldn't cause you any issues the height is just a little smaller

although pirelli do angel city's in your size which I would put money on that they are better

Alignment is out, going to have to sort it when I get home. It's quite a bit out actually, I thought last time I tensioned the chain I had set it correctly. It looks like I haven't and it's even out on the notches :oops:. I'm going to sort it when I'm home and see if that improves things.

Alignment is out, going to have to sort it when I get home. It's quite a bit out actually, I thought last time I tensioned the chain I had set it correctly. It looks like I haven't and it's even out on the notches :oops:. I'm going to sort it when I'm home and see if that improves things.

Depending on how much time / milage has past it may still feel odd as tyre will have scrubbed slightly to that track .

Depending on how much time / milage has past it may still feel odd as tyre will have scrubbed slightly to that track .

If it's happened when I think it did then 300-500 miles I reckon.

I had Conti's on my 1190 Adventure and in the dry (like any tyre!) they felt fine, but in the wet I felt really timid, didn't like 'em at all.

Tyre pressures are crucial so do check them first.

Re the alignment question I find a metal ruler on the rear sprocket and compared with the chain is as good as anything to verify the alignment.

However, more than anything else, the only way to get over a lack of confidence is to do the miles, and lots of 'em.