YBR 125 battery

Liveware Problem

Hey knowledgeable TMBF folk :)

Came out of work today and tried to start my bike, got some buzzing noise but the engine didn't turn over. Started via kick-start (so happy it has this!)

Once home I switched off and tried to start on the button.. Still nothing. So am I right in thinking this is the battery?

And in terms of replacing the battery, does the new one have to exactly match the old one's specs?

I.e. the manual says it has a 12V, 6ah, 85 CCA battery,

Could I replace with a 12V, 7ah, 110 CCA battery?

Thanks in advance :)

Fist thing to do is determine if the battery or starter is at fault.

If you have a voltmeter check the voltage.

Should be 12/6 volts with the ignition off.

With the engine running at about 3000rpm should be 14-14.5volts.

Is the batterry good enough to operate the brake light and indicators when the engine is not running?

If yes then it should at least try to turn the engine over.

When you press the starter button does the neutral light go out or go dim?

:stupid: You first need to confirm if the battery is shot or you have a charging issue. I would be inclined to check the battery for water and then stick it on charge. This time of the year the battery get's a real hammering. If your only doing short commutes the battery get little time to recover its charge and in the end won't have enough left in it to turn the motor over. This time of the year having a Optimate charger to stick onto the battery after your commute pay's dividends.

Cheers Chris, I did wonder about that because I have a short commute (11 miles) and it's often heavy traffic so I'm not getting up to speed much either.

If you start the bike up and rev the motor do the light brighten? If they do this is normally a clear indication that the battery is getting a charge, just be sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, l'm almost certain the short commute in slow traffic is your problem, get yourself an Optimate and you should be fine.

I remember reading a lot of discussions on the internet about a common problem that YBR's have with battery charging. Might be worth searching the net as it is quite a common problem I believe. I haven't had any trouble with my YBR though.. not yet anyway! Changing to a higher capacity battery is fine. The starter will only draw what current it needs. I'd be interested to know what the trouble was once you get it sorted. Could be just an old battery. I had to replace my car battery last year as it was 8 years old and the car was struggling to start. New battery solved it. EDIT: at least yours has a kick start.. wish mine did in case of battery failure :(

I remember reading a lot of discussions on the internet about a common problem that YBR's have with battery charging. Might be worth searching the net as it is quite a common problem I believe. I haven't had any trouble with my YBR though.. not yet anyway! Changing to a higher capacity battery is fine. The starter will only draw what current it needs. I'd be interested to know what the trouble was once you get it sorted. Could be just an old battery. I had to replace my car battery last year as it was 8 years old and the car was struggling to start. New battery solved it. EDIT: at least yours has a kick start.. wish mine did in case of battery failure :(

Mine never had a kick start and it refused to start after I had just finished test riding another bike ... fortunately it was a Yamaha dealer who inspected it and the wiring look was toast!

Anyway, OP, I have also read about the YBR charging issues else where. Is there anywhere you can borrow multimeter from? If not, I think Halfords and some car garages will do a free battery check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also with mentioning the the charging system only really replaces the charge used to fire the engine, it doesn't always fully recharge a partially discharged battery. So th battery charge tends to reduce, especially during throttle winter. As has been said, an intelligent charger will help prevent this problem.

Thanks all for your help :)

I took it in to a local motorbike shop, as in addition to the battery issue it has developed an oil leak and a problem with the back brake. They have fixed the back brake and replaced the battery but need a part for the oil leak (something to do with crankshaft I think) so won't have it back til Tuesday.

I have been looking at optimate chargers, but I'm not sure which would be suitable for a ybr 125, does this seem suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131884690002