YBR 125 engine whine

Liveware Problem

remember that we can't hear/see it! :lol:

Chain too tight will make gearbox whine,

chain/wheel misaligned will make gearbox whine,

front sprocket crudded up/dirty will make gearbox whine.

I'd deffo be looking at chain first

Sorry I haven't been clear at all :oops:

The noise is there whenever you open the throttle, and I think at idle too though less noticeable. So it can't be the chain etc. as it happens even at a standstill in neutral... It increases in pitch the more the throttle is open.

It sounds like this r1, video in post 7 (well the whine, not the engine :lol:) :

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/104-04-06-r1-mechanical-help/300349-05-r1-high-pitch-whirring-whining-noise-problem.html#/topics/300349?page=1&_k=qmxkte

Is it an EFI model?

Mine does this when getting to the high end of revs before changing gear, when I change up the whine goes, the noise appears to be coming from the fuel tank area, so I have assumed it is somehow connected to the fuel pump in some way

Hi, l would stop right there, you've identified that its coming from inside the engine, and your coming across that you not to mechanical minded. Don't start it again until you have got someone with you who knows his way around a motorbike. You could be doing untold damage to the engine - gearbox which if you identify and repair quickly could save you a lot of time, heart ache and money.

as the yamaha engine is known to run out of oil have you checked the oil level at all recently

Funny you should say that..

Sometime after I came off the bike I noticed it was leaking oil, I took it in to the garage and they replaced a gasket and put new oil in, however I wonder how long it was leaking oil before I noticed :(

I took it in again last Friday when I noticed the whine, guy said he didn't know what it was but to come back if it got worse.. It has so I'll take it in tomorrow.

Who could have guessed a 10 year old bike bought off ebay with no service history might be so problematic? :lol:

Jeez! :shock:

Have they told you what they would actually be doing for that £400?? Plenty of complete engines going on eBay for less...

He did say, sounded pretty bad.. (I've already forgotten the details)

I'm going there after work to speak with them. Not surprising really, no doubt it is virtually wrecked after running without oil, then there's paying for the labour of course.

Sounds like learning time, then :twisted:

I didn't know squat when I started out, and now I can rebuild dismantle my Honda into itty bitty pieces and stick it back together again using little more than the toolkit under the seat and a bit of guesswork :lol: