Running very rich

arron

Hi guys I've just started using my 98 gsx750f, before I got on the road I done a full service on it, when I changed the plugs I noticed at the time that they were really cruddy and black, I didn't think much of it at the time because I knew it had been sat for a while and started and stopped a load of times so just put the new ones in (gap checked ok), I've noticed that on start up the exhaust fumes just smell like raw fuel (which I guess you'd get a bit as it's warming up), but even after I get to work or home (40 mins ride) it still smells just as bad,

Sorry for the long post but any ideas guys (still very new to bikes so please explain in simple terms for me lol)

Thanks!

Check the rubber diaphrams ij the topof the carbs for splits, tears or small holes.

Make sure the slides move freely up and down.

If these are OK then you will be lokinga tchecking the needle valves in the carb float bowls.

One trick I learnd with these before dismantling the carbs is:-

Connect a piece of clear tubing to the drain at he bottom of the carb. Raise the open end and fix it to the side fo the carb near the top edge of the float bowl. Open the drain screw, turn the petrol tap to prime and observe the levelof the petrol. It should be the same on all 4 carbs, any thta are higher indicatea leaking needle valve.

Not much experience on bikes carbs but I have seen more problems on outboard carbs caused by people tinkering (they can be swines to set up)...

Do you know if it was running fine in history?

My experience is in not playing with carbs easy suggestions:

Visual inspection have look for differences between

Fresh fuel,

Check air filter is in reasonable nick,

Drain carb bowls (screw underneath),

If you can disconnect fuel hose near carbs check for good fuel flow,

Check change any fuel filter,

Check choke and throttle operation looks same on all carbs smooth not sticking,

Check plugs if all look the same, if they do its common across all cylinders fault could be else where.

Dose of Redex or similar,

Italian tune up (get her warm open her up and pull some fuel through),

Try the choke with the engine warm and some revs on (don't do it in first as if it stalls you could lock back wheel),

If no improvement after the above take carbs to someone who knows what they are doing!

Unless maybe its sticking float switches (Needle valves) in the bowls thats a relatively easy fix. On my bike the carbs would have to come off if I where to do this so I would probably just get them looked at!

Not much experience on bikes carbs but I have seen more problems on outboard carbs caused by people tinkering (they can be swines to set up)...

Do you know if it was running fine in history?

My experience is in not playing with carbs easy suggestions:

Visual inspection have look for differences between

Fresh fuel,

Check air filter is in reasonable nick,

Drain carb bowls (screw underneath),

If you can disconnect fuel hose near carbs check for good fuel flow,

Check change any fuel filter,

Check choke and throttle operation looks same on all carbs smooth not sticking,

Check plugs if all look the same, if they do its common across all cylinders fault could be else where.

Dose of Redex or similar,

Italian tune up (get her warm open her up and pull some fuel through),

Try the choke with the engine warm and some revs on (don't do it in first as if it stalls you could lock back wheel),

If no improvement after the above take carbs to someone who knows what they are doing!

Unless maybe its sticking float switches (Needle valves) in the bowls thats a relatively easy fix. On my bike the carbs would have to come off if I where to do this so I would probably just get them looked at!

Thanks but I think for now I'm gonna let someone else do all that as I don't want to wreck the bike in the first week of riding it

Thanks but I think for now I'm gonna let someone else do all that as I don't want to wreck the bike in the first week of riding it

Believe me most of those checks are very easy, when i got my Triumph I know nothing about motorbike engineering. Plugged away at all of that without issue, It took me 2 hours to remove my tank the first time I did it, I can now do it in 5 minutes.

An easy check is the air filter, if you have not already checked it.

You are right though if in doubt stop, but believe me its not as scary as it sounds...

Look over all the hoses and flick the throttle and choke check they are moving freely simple checks you may find the issue.