Cbr600f starting problem

Liveware Problem

Hello, me again!

I have a bit of a problem starting my cb600f from cold, I know it's an old bike (W reg) with carbs, but still it seems surprisingly reluctant -

Essentially I open the choke, try the electric starter plus some throttle, (can't get it going without some throttle) and it can take several attempts to start, with it seeming to start but then dieing, before finally getting going.

Also a few times when stopped at lights I've had it die on me, the revs just dropping off and it dies (no it's not me stalling it :lol:)

Any ideas where to start? :)

What kind of mileage is on it?

First thing is the idle setting if it's stalling regularly. But if it's sometimes idling OK and just randomly dying then I'd take a look at the valve clearances.

I assume it's pulling cleanly on throttle so it's not a carb issue?

I'd also check the battery as a weak battery can cause interesting issues.

Sorry it's a cb600f, well spotted Spanner ;) I have the Honda owner's manual if that's what you mean?

It has done just under 33k miles, and pulls cleanly on the throttle. It seems to idle ok when warm, but I haven't got much to compare it too!

Thanks for the advice, I knew I needed to get it checked out but it is useful to know where to start :)

Thanks Spanner, that looks very useful, and also terrifying :lol:

I've had a look through the service history, I can't find any record of the valve clearances being checked, and the carburettor idle speed was last checked 4 years ago..

It says: engine starts but then stops

Suggests: improper choke operation

carburetor incorrectly adjusted

intake pipe leaking

improper ignition timing (faulty ignition coil or ignition pulse generator)

fuel contaminated

I'm guessing fuel contamination is unlikely, it's had at least 2 tank loads from different filling stations.

Improper choke operation - by me or a problem with the choke itself?

The other 3 sound plausible?