Seriously need help

Guest classifiedmoto

I have a 125 and it's making this horrendous sort of scraping noise from the right side when at high RPMs

It was absolutely fine until I did an oil change the other day (not my first one) and this morning was fine and then tonight on way home this sound appeared which I noticed going 60mph

The revs also seem higher than normal like I can get into 4th way too fast but I'm stumped. It's not the clutch slipping I know that but what else could it be

Thanks for the help guys-it's like a scratching weird noise that I'm finding hard to explain

What would I be looking for around the clutch area, although the sound seems to be coming from opposite side to clutch

It's a Chinese 125 (and I know that it's what you get when you buy Chinese) but this has the Suzuki gs engine and I've had it one year and not a single problem until this

You'd be just looking for anything loose in there, or any bolts that have backed out......or any metal shards floating around. If it's the opposite side to the clutch, could be a number of things......does it make the noise when the bike is stationary. ......or is it only when the bike is moving?

Only when it's moving. Basically it usually rides really smooth and doesn't rev like crazy but today it seemed to fly through the gears and be revving it's head off doing 40mph but usually I have to be doing at least 60mph for it to be doing that

The sound is at it's worse when I'm going around 50-60 but it did it when I was slowing too

Sorry I got mixed up-the sound is coming from the clutch side

It's the first time I used a HIFLO oil filter-couldnit he that too much oil went into the clutch

No, the filter shouldn't affect it.........sounds like something has come loose in the clutch somewhere.......maybe one of the clutch springs or bolts have come loose.......whip the clutch cover off and have a look around in there...... :wink:

When you filled with oil did you fill from the oilcan or from a measuring jug ?

Is there any chance you dropped something into the filler ? Missing any sockets .... is it stony in the work area .

In the original post you say its not the clutch slipping but then ask about the symptoms of a slipping clutch .

Slipping clutch

Engine will rev but not transfer that power to the wheels

It will become more noticable on hills (going up) or when load is placed on the engine ( acceleration) . It can result in metal on metal contact in the clutch basket .

99% of bikes clutches are designed to be bathed in oil .

If its gone after 1900 miles then there is either an adjustment issue or a riding style issue .

The oil change may just be the catalyst for highlighti g it with different oils properties .

Or do you need to bleed the oil system after an oil and filter change ?

Did you rebuild the filter components correctly?

No nothing would have dropped in the filter i keep everything really clean and tidy

Filled it from oil can but it has measuring lines on the side

Really weird because it was fine in the morning ride to work but played up on the ride home 8 hours later

I'm new to motorbikes so I'm learning as I go and after doing some research I realised that maybe my clutch cable needs adjusting as I've only ever adjusted it at the handlebars. Could that be the issue

You may have over/incorrectly adjusted it so that its constantly placing pressure on the clutch mechanism this will cause the clutch to slip and will get worse the more you ride .

You should have a amount of freeplay at the lever ( depends on different bikes but say 3-5 mm ) this is where you can pull the clutch lever intowards the bar BEFORE it does anything( start pulling on the cable )

If there is too much freeplay you wont get sufficient clutch operation to change gear sufficently/smoothly

If there is too little/no freeplay its basically making the clutch work when it shouldnt be and will wear components quickly .

Well because I've done my own services I don't think I get a warranty

Dont tell them!!

Just make a.massivd scene about how a bike clutch should last more than 1900miles. Regardless of who serviced it it should not have failed!

If you make a big enough fuss they will back down.