Time for new fork seals??

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

From experience, I predict that the current owner will start to feel a lot better once his bike has has been discharged from hospital :thumb:

I know it's no use to you now.....but did you use the old seal to drift the new seal into place? And, yeah, levering the old seal out is a softly softly job.....With something laid on the top of the slider to protect it whilst levering..... :wink:

Anyway......hopefully you'll be back on the road again soon...... 8-)

i failed miserably with the softly softly bit. Hopefully i haven't damaged the bottom tubes where the seals sit

Can you explain what you mean by drift the new seal. Not that i'm ever considering attempting the job again but i'm still keen to understand.

Basically, you put the new seal into place.....and then put the old seal on top of it and gently tap the old seal, which in turn pushes the new seal down into position....so, the old seal takes the beating from the hammer and cushions the blows to the new seal.... :wink:

From experience, I predict that the current owner will start to feel a lot better once his bike has has been discharged from hospital :thumb:

No doubt. :) New tubes arrive at garage tomorrow and should get rebuilt forks back Monday/Tuesday next week. Will probably leave it to the Saturday to put them back on the bike though. Give myself a full day so not rushing to do it after work when I'm tired and hungry.....at least that would be the sensible thing to do.

I know it's no use to you now.....but did you use the old seal to drift the new seal into place? And, yeah, levering the old seal out is a softly softly job.....With something laid on the top of the slider to protect it whilst levering..... :wink:

Anyway......hopefully you'll be back on the road again soon...... 8-)

i failed miserably with the softly softly bit. Hopefully i haven't damaged the bottom tubes where the seals sit

Can you explain what you mean by drift the new seal. Not that i'm ever considering attempting the job again but i'm still keen to understand.

Basically, you put the new seal into place.....and then put the old seal on top of it and gently tap the old seal, which in turn pushes the new seal down into position....so, the old seal takes the beating from the hammer and cushions the blows to the new seal.... :wink:

ah I see, noted for next time :D I think you do the same with installing new bearings.

Just so you know what is actually involved I thought you might like to google this. It's the one in the middle that says fork oil and seals. It's a very impressive posting illustrated with many detailed photographs. Don't let this bad experience put you off,we all have to learn somehow. Why not get some scrap forks from a breakers and take them apart just for the experience? http://i.imgur.com/bd50pB3.png

Thanks for that. have taken a look and very detailed. I don't think this little episode will put me off all tinkering with my bike altogether, someone needs to keep the helpful folk of the Pitstop forum busy don't they :D

Just very frustrating now I'm off the road. Hopefully get it sorted this week

Picked up the forks last night, managed to get them on (in?) the bike. Front fairing is back on as well as front wheel. Then It got dark and wet so have to stop. Couldn't spend any time on it tonight so now have got to refit fender, caliper holders, calipers and pads and I should be back on two wheels soon.

Sounds like I did a proper job of mincing one of the old seals too. Mechanic said it was a right pig to free up. Job well done all round :D

• 4 months later...

This is not a complicated job, but the fork slider and stanchion must always be separated then you can just pop the seals out with a flat bladed screwdriver after you have removed the retaining clips. Get a proper manual for the bike and read through the proposed sequence of events before you even pick up. A spanner....... If the pinch bolts look a bit iffy, use, 50/50 acetone/ATF as a penetrating fluid. WD40 just won't cut it. You can also use a suitable sized socket to use as a drift but don't try to hammer the new seal straight in.