Bike Crash

Viston

Hello Everyone,

I'm new on this forum, and I want to know your opinions, and if you have had similar issues.

I'm a novice bike rider, and been riding for around 2-3 months now. I was in my very first bike crash yesterday, going at around 30-40 mph. I was going down the road, and I could see there was a traffic jam, so I decided to overtake the traffic by riding on the white ground markings on the right hand side. A woman decided that she didn't want to stay in the traffic anymore, so she wanted to do a 3 point turn on the road. The woman signalled and turned to the right at the same time, so I did not have enough time to react at all, and ended up hitting her front wheel (driver side). I ended up flying across the road, landing on the pavement around 10 meters away from the initial crash.

Some witnesses said the woman was at fault, while other witnesses said that it was my fault. But I strongly disagree, what are Your thoughts on this?

Thankfully, I ended up with a minor cut on my right leg. However, I've told the hospital on multiple occasions that my leg was fine, but my back hurts right in-between my shoulder blades. They told me it's most likely just a muscle strain due to the impact of the crash, and that I don't have to worry. Keep in mind, they never did an X-Ray for my back... Only my right leg to make sure it wasn't broken or fractured.

Question is, should I revisit the hospital for an X-Ray? Or is that indeed a muscle strain, and should fade away in couple of days? I can move my whole body, such as legs and everything, but whenever I want to reach for something with my arms, or lay back, my back hurts a lot, it's like a knife stabbing my back.

Should I be worried?

Thank you!

I was on a bikesafe a a while back and the police said the biggest cause of motorbike / scooter accidents were people pulling U turns / turning right into filtering bikes.

But in answer to your actual question yes go get checked out again.

oh and hello :cheers:

Welcome to TMBF mate. .......pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can. ....... 8-)

If you're concerned about the pain, then go see your GP.......I suspect that it's bruising or muscle damage, so there's probably not much they can do for you.

As for the crash, you'd probably be best off speaking with one of our forum members who deals with this kind of stuff on a daily basis......no point In us speculating on blame without the full facts....... :wink:

If it were me, I'd go and get checked out.

The question of fault is a legal matter, and I am not an expert on these things. My guess is that its depends on things like: how far was the woman ahead of you when she started to move? Did she indicate first? How suddenly did she make the manouvre? Some part of the blame is very likely to fall to the woman, as she was making a risky manouvre and so should have taken particular care - which includes checking her mirror and her blind spot for other road users. But a portion might also fall to you, depending on how fast you were going and what precautions you were taking. If this becomes and important question, then I'd be thinking about getting a lawyer.

Yes the car driver was wrong they should have checked it was safe to make the manoeuvre before attempting it however..... ( isn't their always a however ) A lot of how blame is apportioned depends on what was actually happening at the time. If the traffic was stopped and you were passing at 30-40 mph in a white hatched area they that was probably inappropriate and some of the blame would be apportioned to you for not riding in a way to protect your own safety. If the white area was surrounded by solid white lines then you were already committing an offence so although the car driver would still have some fault you would have more. A lawyer could argue that it was not unreasonable to expect a car to be making a U turn in a traffic jam and you should have ridden accordingly. Unfortunately it is inevitable some blame will be attached to your riding how much would depends on how you were riding and how good your legal advice is.

If you are overtaking stationary or slow moving traffic I would suggest that your speed should be no more that 10 MPH above that of the traffic you are passing as an inexperienced rider then probably any traffic moving at over 20 mph you should be in the traffic flow. Also don't ride close to the very slow or stationary traffic give yourself at least a car doors width cause some bozo is going to open a door right into your path. The further out you are the better you can see and be seen.

Before anyone tells you the above is bull.... and they ride like that all the time, consider this. If that had been a person stepping out not a car turning what is the likely outcome. How would you live with the results?

what are Your thoughts on this?

That this is one odd first post. That is My thoughts. Thoughts that go: "Hmm...I wonder if it's connected to Satan, pain and a wheelchair? :scratch:"

But then those thoughts are subsumed by a desire for microwaved cheesy Doritos and a glass of rum, so I'm heading off for the kitchen. Hang on, now I'm having thoughts about the vicar in our local church when I was seven. Ugh.

Thinking about my thoughts leads me to conclude it's a messy place and we'd all best not go there.