Shock Spring Compressor Tool

Peteinnit

Hi all,

I'm looking at refurbing my rear shocks, (springs rusty) and was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent compressor tool? The ones I have for cars are too big and the reviews for the smaller tools from Sealey and Laser have all slated them as rubbish. I can't find any others that are available in UK. TUSK come up as well, but they're only Stateside. I've seen a few of the DIY compressors, but I don't have space to make em. Anyone know a good set?

Cheers,

Peter

you will have to pay a lot of money for a decent one!

I made one when I replaced a spring on a shock

I used two old car brake discs and a couple of bits of threaded bar

The car type ones would mark your new/refurbed spring too when fitting so all that hard work will be undone!

What is your location? someone close by may be able to help

Yeah, I was afraid of that! I'm can be in Chingford, Harrietsham, or Gillingham, Kent. I guess other alternative is to take into a shop and get them to remove it for me. Don't think I'll be doing it often and that might be cheaper than shelling out for a good tool. Cheers

shame you're so far away I would have done it for you!

Yeah I would look at asking a shop to remove it although I would look at a dealer rather than a one man band! I have never seen a one man band with a decent spring compressor!

That doesn't mean they don't exist though

I've used those on a set of coilovers - not good - the jaws are too wide for the spring and even trying to use one set of hooks scratched them up.

It's alright for the wife's car but I wouldn't use them on my bike. :lol:

I've got one of the screwfix sets, but they're too big for my bike springs. The Sealey one got rubbish reviews on Amazon, so have steered clear. Haven't seen any budget ones that have received good reviews unfortunately.

Just got one spring set back from the chromers, not brilliant job on the spring unfortunately as they couldn't get inside to polish properly. I expected as much as was warned by a different company that it may be a problem, so may look at powder coating instead, or see if I can get some replacement springs only. Never goes smoothly does it. Has anyone had a good chroming job done on springs where the inside was as good as the outside?

Cheers

Can't see the tie wraps, it's just not polished to chrome shine on the inside, apparently they can't get the polisher tool in there, although most of it looks good, just one end worse than the other. Probably just too much hassle for them to attend to the detail. Have managed to polish it a bit more myself with fine wire brush on my drill. Might try a different chromer for the 2nd one, see if they do any better.