Mobile Phones

MR_W

Must Admit I am and Android Fan then I am going to give another thought... Do you or your misses really need the latest phone?

Write down all the functions you use and see how it comes out....

Camera

GPS

EMail

Internet

Sat Nav Games

It did not take me long to work out I no longer needed the latest phone....

My most recent phone:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1366&bih=647&tbm=shop&ei=10hgWpnyD6GFgAadgZ7gAw&q=kodak+electra+unlocked&oq=kodak+electra+unlocked&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2251.7908.0.8237.17.13.4.0.0.0.102.1013.12j1.13.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.92...0.0.yLP2A5kenmU#spd=7574590818370587539

£100 and it does the job very nicely... Compared with £800 ish for latest and greatest that frankley seem to be full of gimmicks...

Like with computers originally you always wanted the latest fastest and greatest processor ram HD etc as they where actually better. Now my £300 laptop is capable of allot more than my Email wed browsing word processing, the odd bit of picture up loading. The odd bit of video editing I go is slow but not to painful. If I did it regularly I would look at better but as it is this is good enough...

I would say Ram 3g, 32 gig internal processor... If you look at allot of cheaper phones they often have something crippling limitation to encourage people to buy the Flagship phones a bit of smart buying and for £100-£200 you can get an unlocked phone sim free contract and buy a new phone every 12 months compared with £40 odd pound contract and insurance for phone...

As for those gimmicks, by the time I get wireless charging and finger print recognition they will be working. Android by the way had got face recognition but its a bit hit and miss...

This is not much help to the OP other than reading your mail your list of wants is talking you to Apple, if you have a Mac Ipad and all that stuff you would be silly to shift to Android. If you only have I phone you could be starting an expensive path to I Pad Mac etc etc....

Apple V Android - You always find someone who has switched between the 2 and says the last was the worst and next is better, personally I have got better things to spend money on than Apple or new high tech that I aint going to use....

As for SIm Free I have not met any one who has gone SIM free and regretted it... SO much cheaper.

I work in IT and generally end up supporting devices on both iOS and Android. We have the odd Windows phone at a client and Blackberry's have thankfully died off as any BES implementation I inherited was bloody badly set up.

Whilst some of my colleagues have shied away from running the latest and greatest, I do run the latest Win 10 and Office across a desktop and laptop as invariably our clients will and I aim to be ahead of their curve so I can spot any weird little issues that the OS's develop.

I could survive on the S7 Edge (especially as I sussed out now my issue with the music but I'm not sure I understand why the issue occurred at all still) but I won't lie, I like technology and I like playing with cutting edge.

Android face recognition I wouldn't use having reminded myself about it. Really not that secure.

I've used Apple devices for 4 years and Android for 4 years. Each have pros and cons and I think I am coming to a point of which niggles annoy me more. My Nexus 9 is close to being shifted, partly due to the issues I have had with it updating and its performance drop off was worse than my old iPad and also, phones are large enough today I don't need a tablet. Trade in the Nexus 9, use that money on a phone....

If you hate android (which is seems you do) go iOS.

That is the real choice. Android or iOS.

Samsung is android with loads of bloatware. If you don't like android, don't get a Samsung.

I have the first Pixel and simply love it, never had an issue with it. However I have been with android since near the start so I am used to it's quirks.

Edit: I've been sim free for over 4 years now. I buy my phones outright and save an absolute fortune while still not having to restrict my data or minutes.

If you hate android (which is seems you do) go iOS.

That is the real choice. Android or iOS.

Samsung is android with loads of bloatware. If you don't like android, don't get a Samsung.

I have the first Pixel and simply love it, never had an issue with it. However I have been with android since near the start so I am used to it's quirks.

Edit: I've been sim free for over 4 years now. I buy my phones outright and save an absolute fortune while still not having to restrict my data or minutes.

It's possible a lot of my android irritants are Samsung based. The Nexus 9 updates annoyed me as that is a Google branded product. I would expect better of them but then again the Pixel Buds turned out shit so Google does seem to be a bit hit and miss on their devices.

I did wonder if it was a something specific thing to my music issues. I certainly don't remember having as many music quirks on my old HTC One M8.

Price wise, carphone warehouse is usually the best for handset only deals.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5b68c2f7d0e8079072d7ac7355a58e6e.jpg

As for music on android, what app are you using to play your music? Google Music? If so, it is by design that Google music overwrites your meta data... it doesn't actually upload all your music to google. It simply links what you have to what they have and uses it. It's a smart way saving on storage space.

If you are having problems playing your music, there are loads of other apps out there that will. Personally, I use a mix of google music, spotify and amazon music.

Price wise, carphone warehouse is usually the best for handset only deals.

Untitled.jpg

As for music on android, what app are you using to play your music? Google Music? If so, it is by design that Google music overwrites your meta data... it doesn't actually upload all your music to google. It simply links what you have to what they have and uses it. It's a smart way saving on storage space.

If you are having problems playing your music, there are loads of other apps out there that will. Personally, I use a mix of google music, spotify and amazon music.

What I don't get is they only do this to 3 tracks of mine. It would change an à to an r but if I put an a in it merges them back. Weird.

I work in IT and generally end up supporting devices on both iOS and Android. We have the odd Windows phone at a client and Blackberry's have thankfully died off as any BES implementation I inherited was bloody badly set up.

Whilst some of my colleagues have shied away from running the latest and greatest, I do run the latest Win 10 and Office across a desktop and laptop as invariably our clients will and I aim to be ahead of their curve so I can spot any weird little issues that the OS's develop.

I think we are agreeing form opposite sides of the fence, if I worked in your industry I would want to stay at the front of technology....

For others I would not saying shielding away, if new tech is available I am not scared to take it on, its just for me its a cost/ benefit thing and having the latest phone for me is of little benefit.

One area of tech I do shield away from is Games Consoles and the like, I know I would get hooked and instead of riding and servicing my bike I would spend my time pushing buttons...

As for niggles of my lord, why is it the function you want is always now obsolete and the one you don't want is screaming at you, its called progress :?

Good luck in you search...

Used to be in Telecoms - I went for a Tesco job. Alcatel Pop something or other. Bit cheapskate, but does pretty much what all the others do. Doesn't cost the earth and no worries if the thing breaks. Something like £7.99 a month and never go over the contract limits. Although depends on how much bandwidth you use. If it is a main phone then a decent contract with good limits a must as otherwise you will get screwed.

Each to their own - I use Apple for laptops as they tend not to break (I'n my experience). But mobile phone wise the cheaper brands are still pretty good, use the same chips. Might be a year or 2 behind, but all depends if you will notice the difference.

Very much a 2p's worth there.

Thanks for all the advice even though I don't think I am any closer to a decision. I'm seeing all the "leaks" for the S9 and it doesn't look promising for finger prints to be done on the front again. That's one thing I have never liked is the readers on the back but at least the S9 should be more sensible than the S8.

When it comes to proper water proof cases, the Pixel 2 and iPhone X don't appear to have them and I really don't trust electrics when water ingress is possible to cause damage, which is true for all mobile devices. Will have to double check my existing rain cover for sizing I guess.

I'll probably end up getting myself a decent SIM only plan first and then deciding what phone to buy at this rate.

Thanks again guys.

Finger print readers on the back are very convenient. I just pick my S8+ up any my index finger naturally touches the sensor and the phone unlocks. Couldn't be any simpler.

Fingerprint reader on the front requires two hands. One to hold the phone and the other to touch a front mounted sensor.

Rear mounted sensors wins for me everytime.

Finger print readers on the back are very convenient. I just pick my S8+ up any my index finger naturally touches the sensor and the phone unlocks. Couldn't be any simpler.

Fingerprint reader on the front requires two hands. One to hold the phone and the other to touch a front mounted sensor.

Rear mounted sensors wins for me everytime.

I do my phone one handed as I use my thumb.

I'll have to get someone to actually let me have a demo run and see how I get on. My index finger generally sits halfway up the back of the phone.

With my thumb on the power button my index finger is right on the sensor.

Yeah I see what you mean. Never held my phone like that before to be honest but I see what you mean.

Yeah I see what you mean. Never held my phone like that before to be honest but I see what you mean.

I keep my phone in a lower power mode to extend the battery. To unlock I press the power button and then fingerprint. It's very natural action. Taking it from my back trouser pocket it's normally unlocked and ready to use before I've brought it round into sight. Dirty finger sometimes upsets it in which case the retina scanner unlocks it or last resort I swipe a code.

I keep my phone in a lower power mode to extend the battery. To unlock I press the power button and then fingerprint. It's very natural action. Taking it from my back trouser pocket it's normally unlocked and ready to use before I've brought it round into sight. Dirty finger sometimes upsets it in which case the retina scanner unlocks it or last resort I swipe a code.

Do you use Bixby much? Or is it just an irritant?

I also use fingerprint unlock on my huawei mate 9 it's such a simple thing and is on the back just below the camera

Its a natural movement to unlock it and so much faster than power button then swipe!

I only started using it as it wouldn't let me add my bank cards for contactless without some security :lol:

And yes dirty fingers can be a pain as can rough skin after working on bikes :lol:

Do you use Bixby much? Or is it just an irritant?

Never used it. It's pointless with Google there to do everything already.

Also swap the homescreen to the Google now launcher to get loads more cool features.

In other news, my Nexus 9 is getting traded in this weekend. Fed up of sub par shit performance no matter how many factory resets I do.

My sister still uses my old iPad 2 and has no issues with its speed so well bloody done HTC for building a pile of crap.

If I buy a new tablet, it's gonna be a Surface I reckon. At least that one is easy.

Had a Sony Xperia Z5 premium before the S8 and that had fingerprint sorted, it put the sensor in the power button on the side, no idea why others haven't done that because it worked perfect. The rear mounted sensor on the S8 is ok once you get used to it. Have that and iris unlock on, normally use fingerprint as just pressing finger on sensor also turns phone on (so why not do what Sony did and put it where power button is?) And iris is a bit slower but use that when I've got gloves on or hands are wet.

Loving the S8 otherwise, would always stick with android now but no brand loyalty I go with what's best at time for me and this time round was Samsung. Very capable phone and very few crashes or glitches I've had with other brands. Default keyboard sucks though so bought swype.