Feeling a bit gutted- some advice please

I'm really pleased the school turned things around for you.

Brilliant that you've done the CBT and loved being on a bike. After all, that's what it's all about. Having fun!!

I bet you've still got that big smile on your face :wink:

Good luck with the rest of the tests and enjoy your 2 wheeled journey.

Edited by fullscreenaging

Yay for a happy ending! Glad everything worked out for the best.

I ending up doing over 20k miles on my 125, going on various day trips, as far as Bath, Gloucester, and Coventry. you can have a lot of fun on one, and it is a great for learning to be observant and plan ahead because you cannot simply accelerate out of trouble as with a bigger bike.

Hope you have a fun summer.

• 3 months later...

When I did my CBT we each had a bike and spent all day on it with a short break for lunch and other minor breaks when the instructor showed us things. I'd report them and go to another school. As a minimum each trainee should have a bike of their own for the full day.

This! I don't see how you could get comfortable and familiar if you're constantly on and off.

Also, what you described in exercise 3/4 - that was me too! I was getting a bit frustrated by lunch time as I couldnt figure out what was so wrong... but basically I was thinking with my car head not a bike head. I just needed to ride the clutch more, not fear the sound of a revving bike as me doing something wrong (plus if you're holding the clutch you can;t really shoot off anywhere) and just do a few more laps / cone work. Fortunately there are always at least two instructors on site where I went so while one took the more confident riders out, the other did a little more training in the yard with me round cones etc, broke it down a little more for me... and I got it then. Maybe I focused better being 1:1.

After that I was happy to go out on the road and because you do have more time to change gear etc it doesnt feel as frustrating. Plus on 125cc riding around in first is hard, they are quite keen in low gears so can feel a little jumpy - especially if you dont have the revs on. The trick i was told is smooth, not slow.

Did you feel you had actually find the bike's biting point? I found once I had a proper feel for it the rest came a little easier.

Hi there everyone,

First apologies for a bit of a long post. TLDR: Am I crap, or was it badly run training?

My question is whether this is normal?

Well, it is not unusual. I struggled and put it down to a general lack of coordination on my part. Riding a bike means doing separate things with each hand and foot and coordinating all four just to stop safely. Some people get it sooner and easier than others.

Is someone with no experience really expected to be able to go on the road safely with less than an hour bike time under their belt?

Yes since everyday people manage it without incident. Wait until you go out on your own the first time....

The videos I watched always showed everyone with individual bikes, and in some of the posts I have read on here people were still doing cone stuff in the mid afternoon, and still went on the road the same day. I can't help but think that because 3 other people knew what they were doing, the whole thing was cut short just to get the road ride out of the way early. Or am I just crap...? ;-)

On my CBT not all of us made it past lunch and onto the open road, 2 out of 3 of us made it onto the open road. There is a set format and the instructor has to manage all abilities.

I was about to re-book with the same people to take advantage of the 'guaranteed pass' (it isn't, it's just an extra day), but then I started thinking that if it goes the same way, I'm going to be in an even worse place, still without the bike time to get used to the controls, and to feel safe and confident on the road, and with my enthusiasm severely diminished (and I'm one of the more optimistic people you'll ever meet!).

I've looked at another trainer that rents the mod 1 area from the Birmingham test centre, and who have a max of 2 learners to a trainer (they also do military training apparently). Would I be better to sack off the £20 quid and just go to this new place?

Your suggestions would be very welcome. Just want to ride a bike....:-(

I changed riding schools as I was not getting on with an instructor. We met again a few years later when we ended up working in the same place. He told me they were used to people changing schools and accept it as part of the job and understand trainees need to feel comfortable with the instruction.