Look out YouTube, here I come

Okay, I'm going to give the bike a clean this morning and then go out with the camera switched on!!!

Are you my lost subscriber, @SometimesSansEngine (a bit harsh if so :shock: )?

Haha that was me I was intending to take a pick of the dwindling subscribers to post but then lost interest.

I will be back when there is a vid.

Well, it's uploaded but I'm GUTTED that YouTube has compressed it so much that it now looks nothing like the original. I think I'm going to have to do some research on this :evil:

looks fine when you click settings and adjust the quality :wink:

Well, it's uploaded but I'm GUTTED that YouTube has compressed it so much that it now looks nothing like the original. I think I'm going to have to do some research on this :evil:

looks fine when you click settings and adjust the quality :wink:

Can you explain what you mean, Stu?

Edit: oh, got you. I suspect I need to tweak some things at my end, though.

I have subscribed mate

Oh, thanks.

I should say that, had I been able to use the editing app, some of this footage would have been cut out. Sadly iMovie doesn't seem to be able to work on my computer due to the graphics card! Strange for a Macbook Pro that's just a few years old :scratch:

Now don't take this the wrong way but I can't watch it, I don't do well with choppy video it's a bit a kin to motion sickness and unfortunately that video is making me feel like I have been on the waltzer, I can usually watch a half hour of rj etc before the same thing kicks in but 5mins I had to bail.

The compression is probably not helping it's very blocky on the fast bits with the odd moment of sharpness even set to highest quality I can't see much if any of a difference, I'm presuming that's down to YouTube.

Does the camera have any image stabilisation?

Like I stated with don't take it badly I'm sure it's a learning curve.

Now don't take this the wrong way but I can't watch it, I don't do well with choppy video it's a bit a kin to motion sickness and unfortunately that video is making me feel like I have been on the waltzer, I can usually watch a half hour of rj etc before the same thing kicks in but 5mins I had to bail.

The compression is probably not helping it's very blocky on the fast bits with the odd moment of sharpness even set to highest quality I can't see much if any of a difference, I'm presuming that's down to YouTube.

Does the camera have any image stabilisation?

Like I stated with don't take it badly I'm sure it's a learning curve.

I don't mind at all, and thanks. The camera is meant to have image stabilisation, which was turned on. I did notice that it was very, very slightly loose in the housing, so maybe that's something I can have a look at.

I have subscribed mate

Oh, thanks.

I should say that, had I been able to use the editing app, some of this footage would have been cut out. Sadly iMovie doesn't seem to be able to work on my computer due to the graphics card! Strange for a Macbook Pro that's just a few years old :scratch:

Very strange, iMovie works on mine and it is a 2012 MacBook Pro.

What did you think of it @learningtofly ? BTW the sound nothing like your avatar picture made me think you would :-)

Well, considering I know not a bit about what I'm doing, it could have been worse! And no, I suspect I don't :D

I have subscribed mate

Oh, thanks.

Very strange, iMovie works on mine and it is a 2012 MacBook Pro.

Very weird indeed :evil:

Anyway, I've now downloaded Movavo Video Editor 15 Plus, which looks simple enough even for an idiot like me.

Well, a (slightly better) new version is up now - the video quality is still poor but I've cut a few bits out, added something at the beginning and end and stabilised it a bit.

Lots of work to do to improve things, but any early opinions - good or bad - would be appreciated.

I watched a very small bit last night (it was late), if I was to give immediate feedback it was that I saw 30 minutes and thought "crikey".

If you go down the vlogging route I suggest making sure there's a theme to the video (obvious in the title) and that it's not overly long. I don't mind listening to rants (even or maybe especially if I don't agree with the rant) but I've seen a few channels where people are literally "I'm off to the post office so thought I'd record the journey" and I lose interest very quickly.

I watched a very small bit last night (it was late), if I was to give immediate feedback it was that I saw 30 minutes and thought "crikey".

If you go down the vlogging route I suggest making sure there's a theme to the video (obvious in the title) and that it's not overly long. I don't mind listening to rants (even or maybe especially if I don't agree with the rant) but I've seen a few channels where people are literally "I'm off to the post office so thought I'd record the journey" and I lose interest very quickly.

Yes, I think I'll try to condense it much more next time. To be fair, yesterday's version was unedited, and whilst the new version is slightly shorter I realise I need to be a lot more ruthless in future.

Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

Well, for anyone who may be vaguely interested I uploaded a new video this morning. Unfortunately I cocked up with the camera settings so it's not very hi resolution, but it seems to look fine on a phone at least :scratch:

Still a bit too long, I guess, but I'm getting there.

What was the camera settings, out of interest?

When you upload to Youtube it does further processing after the initial upload, so the highest resolutions aren't available straightaway so sometimes your video improves

I'd accidentally taken the camera off of full HD, so it was 720/50. When it uploaded YT only offered it in 720 or 360 so not ideal, really. Not sure if that will change, but lesson learnt any any case.

Edit: Yes, you were absolutely right.

Edited by learningtofly