Given the choice

Guest Drewster

<t>Would you still wear protective head gear if the law was changed?</t>  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still wear protective head gear if the law was changed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not all of the time

me cos I can see circumstances where I might not wear one, sometimes don't if I'm checking out something on the bikes

on our farm road, its quite an exhilerating feeling and you don't have to ride like a nutter to get it

Aye, but that could be construed as a slightly different kettle of fish Chic,

you'd have a good idea that that'd be a safe risk ....

good point and true other circumstance I'd consider not wearing a lid have also been mentioned. Generally I wear tailor my gear as to what kind of riding i'm going to be doing and the conditions, nipping into town (10 miles of backroads) if the weather is OK I'll wear an armoured light weight bomber jacket and kevlar jeans. longer runs and especially if I'm going to be riding fast its full leathers and back protector, Touring its textile jacket, leather trousers and backprotector.

me cos I can see circumstances where I might not wear one, sometimes don't if I'm checking out something on the bikes

on our farm road, its quite an exhilerating feeling and you don't have to ride like a nutter to get it

Aye, but that could be construed as a slightly different kettle of fish Chic,

you'd have a good idea that that'd be a safe risk ....

good point and true other circumstance I'd consider not wearing a lid have also been mentioned. Generally I wear tailor my gear as to what kind of riding i'm going to be doing and the conditions, nipping into town (10 miles of backroads) if the weather is OK I'll wear an armoured light weight bomber jacket and kevlar jeans. longer runs and especially if I'm going to be riding fast its full leathers and back protector, Touring its textile jacket, leather trousers and backprotector.

Problem is even on a 2 minute journey in perfect weather while you are riding very carefully will not stop some blind OAP pulling out on you and sending you over the bonnet of their car.

Remember most road accidents happen within something like a 10 mile radius of that persons home.

Has to be ATGATT if you want to be safe.

Oh no now where getting past the realms of personnel choice again!

You are first and foremost responsible for your own safety!

Fully agree mate, I am in no way against removing the helmet law. But if you want to push the fullness of personal choice that choice should be available with all the relevant information so that the choice can be an informed one.

My opinion and only mine is that i always will, I know of a few peeps that have riden without helmets and even a few who have come off not wearing one on motorbikes, pushbikes and other areas.

A good example is white water kayaking, it is not the law to wear a helmet, but everyone agrees it is safer to wear one and so 99.9% do wear protective gear, this is primarily down to education and an understanding of the risk.

I have / do participate in the following activities during which I voluntarily wear a helmet.

Kayaking, kite buggying, cricket, motorcycleing, cycling

I enjoy life far to much to think of risking brain damage and not being able to live a full life.

Remember most road accidents happen within something like a 10 mile radius of that persons home.

Well said Korb :!:

:wink:

Well said Korb :!:

:wink:

Yep then ya can bump into anything with impunity :wink:

Would ALWAYS wear a helmet.....

Anyone riding around without a helmet, like the scummer kids around our way on stolen bikes or mini moto's, should be stopped and twatted round the head with a 2 by 4..... They would get the idea after a couple of go's....

Also anyone who thinks its a good idea to ride without a helmet could be made to see sense by having a mate of mine pop round with his belt sander and randomly shave skin off parts of their bodies...

He is quite vocal on this idea as he survived having his head run over by a car when he was thrown from his bike into oncoming traffic.....

Suomy saved his life.........

I voted yes.

I would always wear my Helmet when on my bike.

The reasons being - as have been previously stated....

As a Nurse with 27+ years experience in the NHS - I'm damn sure I DON'T want to vegitate dribbling from every orifice in some Neuro ward until I die from neumonia.

The very thought gives me the shivers :shock: :shock: :shock:

If folk want to "feel the wind on their face" get an open face helmet FFS.

AND ok there is talk about civil liberties etc etc, but again as mentioned what about the drain on the NHS having to look after you?? and also the anguish to your friends and relatives having to stare at you withering away while you shout incoherant obscenities at them???

EVEN with a helmet the above cannot be guaranteed not to happen, but at least you have attempted preventative measures.

(where's the edge of that flippin soap box gone 'til I get off :roll: )

Edited on clarification from DutchMick thank mate :wink:

Edited by Rosie

I voted yes.

As a Nurse with 27+ years experience in the NHS - I'm damn sure I want to vegitate dribbling from every orifice in some Neuro ward until I die from neumonia.

AND ok there is talk about civil liberties etc etc, but again as mentioned what about the drain on the NHS having to look after you?? and also the anguish to your friends and relatives having to stare at you withering away while you shout incoherant obscenities at them???

EVEN with a helmet the above cannot be guaranteed not to happen, but at least you have attempted preventative measures.

Are you sure?

I voted yes.

As a Nurse with 27+ years experience in the NHS - I'm damn sure I want to vegitate dribbling from every orifice in some Neuro ward until I die from neumonia.

Are you sure?

If you have a serious head injury that left you seriously brain damaged YES.

When I was newly qualified I worked on a ward that was basicaly a vare centre for people like that.

That example is true and I don't want to be like that... ever :(

I would wear one most of the time, but gepeding on the situation i would go without. Used to ride alot when i was younger without a lid and don't wear one when i hire a bike in Greece. And before you all start jumping up and down, let me tell you, your riding realy changes without all the protective gear. You can feel how vunerable you are and ride far safer than when your fully kitted up. But i would like to be given the choice of wether or not to wear one

As far as I'm concerned it's essential! Very foolish not to wera one!

Would like to throw something else into the equation though, based on your quote Drew.......

I think the other main reason for wearing one is the duty of care with have to others and being a bit responsible in a ever growing non responsible society

I seem to remember a few people saying they don't/wouldn't wear cycle helmets. Surely the same thing re head injuries apply?? It worries me when I see children wearing helmets riding bikes with parents who are not.

True but I guess that falls onto a legal requirement and the 'likelihood' of a serious injury at slower speeds.

I'll be the first to admit I don't have a cycle helmet. However I ride that bike even less that my motorbike. Not necessarily an excuse, just a point of fact :roll:

True but I guess that falls onto a legal requirement and the 'likelihood' of a serious injury at slower speeds.

I'll be the first to admit I don't have a cycle helmet. However I ride that bike even less that my motorbike. Not necessarily an excuse, just a point of fact :roll:

And the fact that you'd look a total dick in a cycle helmet :(

1981 I went to Venice by motorbike, Italy had no helmet law then sooooo being young n foolish I rode from campsite into Venice in jeans t shirt and no helmet.......what an exhilarating blast (a ride I'll never forget) :lol: you'd have to be barking mad to do it everyday though!

nowadays its leathers and best helmet poss every time!!

Seem to remember back in the 80's it was considered if you rode your bike without a helmet then your riding was done in a far more safety conscious way than if had had full protective gear on. Which would make a little sense I guess since one little mistake by anyone inc you and your a veggie at best!

i voted not all the time!

I would always wear helmet for proper road journeys

Have ridden abroad without one and it is exhillerating!

would not wear one if riding around , say a camp site or similar, going at walking pace only.

As far as I'm concerned it's essential! Very foolish not to wera one!

Would like to throw something else into the equation though, based on your quote Drew.......

I think the other main reason for wearing one is the duty of care with have to others and being a bit responsible in a ever growing non responsible society

I seem to remember a few people saying they don't/wouldn't wear cycle helmets. Surely the same thing re head injuries apply?? It worries me when I see children wearing helmets riding bikes with parents who are not.

My kids dont wear cycle helmets...if they do they'll need it to stop me twatting them for loking ridiculous!

Do you wear a nelmet for walking no...but you can fall and bang ya head!

Say no to the nanny state :evil:

Helmets are a necessity as far as I'm concerned. If you come off without one..it doesn't necessarily matter wot speed ur doing, it's wot u hit when u land and how you fall. Of roading..large stone or pointed rock, side of ur temple on a curb..etc.

I had a mate who fell out of the back of a works van ( a long time ago now). Van pulled away from the lights, back doors weren't closed properly and he fell out - cracked his skull and died at the scene.

I would never ride without one now - older and wiser!

Am I right in still thinking that if u wear a turban as part fo your religion you don't have to wear a helmet? Have to say I'm shocked and stunned that as a nation we're not inforcing wearing helmets within Asian communities. This isn't a religious matter its a safety matter.

Coz of course a piece of cloth will give you far more protection than protective head gear that's been designed to withstand impact! NOT!

And just to be really controversial......yeah make it a personal choice to wear one...but then NHS staff should be able to choose whether they treat you if you come off!

K bring on the flaming...lol

Had an off some 22 years ago, 30 mph slid along the road face down and headbutted some steel work. Chin piece of F/F helmet broke both sides but stayed in place.

The result, one broken back and a degloved chin & the loss of most of my teeth.

Had I not been wearing a F/F helmet I would have been very dead no question, at just 30mph (from Police report and witness statements), I still have no recollection of the accident. The only concession to the helmet issue is that I now wear a RooF Boxer flip front mainly as open face, I am very much aware that if I had that off wearing open face I would not be very pretty, I try not to think about it.

It's not the speed it's the stop that causes the damage. :lol:

Absolutly! I value my life too much not to! Same with seatbelt......was brought up/taught always to wear a seatbelt and could never drive without one even if it was for a short distance.......