Hi I'm new, stolen bike. Need info please

Isaac1993

Hi there everyone I would like some help if possible,

My bike was stolen, I have never been through this process and I just want a little information. How long usually does it take to get the pay out? Also they have told me I have to pay my insurance untill the claim is processed. After that I will have to pay a £300 cancellation fee is that correct? I just want to know if they are having me on as I have been told that's incorrect thank you for reading this.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Normally it can take around 30 days before they will think of paying out if the bike is not found

300 quid seems a bit steep! Check your documents it should state in there

Sorry to hear of your bike being stolen.

Did you ask to cancel the policy or did that come from them?

If you took out an annual contract but are paying monthly then you may have paid only a fraction of the annual premium but obviously be looking for 100% of the claim. It seems a bit one sided as if you pay the full premium annually and need to claim they decide to cancel your policy from the point of settlement.

Hi [mention]Isaac1993[/mention],

Can you let us know who your insurer is? Usually with insurers, as [mention]Stu[/mention] has said, they should try and settle your claim from you first reporting it to your settlement cheque reaching you within 28 days.

I would suggest that if you haven't ready done so to check online for similar model, age of bike, and mileage to your stolen one to get a fair idea of what to expect from your settlement value. As it is a motorbike, they would usually go by market value.

The snag is, what is market value? Whenever I've had dealings with insurance it's always meant what you'd get if you traded it in, not what you'd pay for a replacement. That's despite it being insured for a higher value of course.

It's a one way street insurance, and it's not going your way.