Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

7 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

There may be correlation but that does not mean cause. Again I think that is a straw man. 
car licenses are hard to get now with the average spent being pretty huge. 

Yes, I agree. Also worth noting that the majority (I believe) of thefts are for scooters, many of which are then used in crime.

16 minutes ago, dynax said:

No! do they bollox, theory test and one practical test, which can be taken in any car, usually something in the one litre range, then once passed they can drive whatever car they want regardless of engine size and horsepower :classic_laugh:

That's interesting.

So why all the obstacles to motorcycle ownership?

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That's interesting.

So why all the obstacles to motorcycle ownership?

Because our government are spacer.pngting spacer.png

Edited by dynax
more appropriate use of smilies
  • Haha 1

Just now, XTreme said:

That smilie sums it up well Dynax!

You planning to endure any more of this in the near future? spacer.png

Probably :classic_laugh:

edited my previous post which you might like even better :thumb:

• Haha 1

Guest Swagman
13 hours ago, XTreme said:

I didn't understand any of that! 

That's not training and examination to a reasonable standard........that's actively putting barriers in the way of people getting motorcycle licences.

If I was faced with that now (bear in mind I did my test in 1971) I wouldn't bother. I'd just get an enduro machine solely for offroad use.

That’s because you’re old like me.😀

Guest Swagman
13 hours ago, skyrider said:

when i did mine it was just the examiner running from telegraph pole to telegraph pole and leaping out on the emergency stop

I keep hearing how the examiner leapt out in a emergency stop but when I did mine he was stood on the pavement and just put his hand in the air, no leaping in front of someone who may well fall off or run him down as we didn’t get lessons you could just jump on the bike and take your test and if you didn’t have any real experience it was dangerous.

8 minutes ago, Swagman said:

I keep hearing how the examiner leapt out in a emergency stop but when I did mine he was stood on the pavement and just put his hand in the air, no leaping in front of someone who may well fall off or run him down as we didn’t get lessons you could just jump on the bike and take your test and if you didn’t have any real experience it was dangerous.

And we paid our dues in blood and guts......never did us any harm did it? :classic_laugh:

crash fail GIF by Cheezburger

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Swagman said:

That’s because you’re old like me.😀

Yeh......but they ain't locked me up in an Old Peoples maximum security area yet Swagman! :classic_laugh:

Because I escaped to a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland inhabited by subhuman genetic mutants!

Scary Shit!

Guest Swagman
1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Yeh......but they ain't locked me up in an Old Peoples maximum security area yet Swagman! :classic_laugh:

Because I escaped to a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland inhabited by subhuman genetic mutants!

Scary Shit!

Yeah but I get a release slip when I want one.🤣

Just now, Swagman said:

Yeah but I get a release slip when I want one.🤣

I dunno.....I never see you out on the bike much! 

They haven't tied you to a chair have they?

That's no way for an Old Greaser to spend his golden years!

Guest Swagman
7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

And we paid our dues in blood and guts......never did us any harm did it? :classic_laugh:

Never did me any harm at all, the only accident I got into was being hit in the back by a bus while at a give way.👍

Just now, Swagman said:

Never did me any harm at all, the only accident I got into was being hit in the back by a bus while at a give way.👍

I had between 20 and 30 unscheduled dismounts in the first year or so! :classic_laugh:

Guest Swagman
Just now, XTreme said:

I dunno.....I never see you out on the bike much! 

They haven't tied you to a chair have they?

That's no way for an Old Greaser to spend his golden years!

No X this is England and to wet and cold for us old gits, I’m staying by the fire.🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

My understanding is we have to abide by EU criteria and include for example slow riding, emergency stop etc but it’s left to individual countries as to how that implemented. So if course rule loving Britain went bananas and made it as difficult as possible. 

I disagree with you on this point. The test we do in the UK is pretty much as the directive describes it (see here for the text https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:02006L0126-20201101&from=EN#tocId35). Some countries have opted not to implement parts of it (for example, Italy doesn't test slow manoeuvering for cat A if it's already been tested at A1 or A2. Ireland don't do a slalom), but this is out of line with the directive. Others, like Germany make it even harder than the standard the EU sets (they have three slalom tests which you have to do at increasing speeds).  

• Like 2

Just now, Swagman said:

No X this is England and to wet and cold for us old gits, I’m staying by the fire.🤣🤣

Saying that it's only 2C here now.......so I'm not moving either. Had enough of that shit in the 70's.

Guest Swagman
Just now, XTreme said:

I had between 20 and 30 unscheduled dismounts in the first year or so! :classic_laugh:

Looks like you could have benefitted from some of this standard of training then.😭😭

Guest Swagman

Saying that it's only 2C here now.......so I'm not moving either. Had enough of that shit in the 70's.

Yeah snow and rain tended to sting the face somewhat.

15 minutes ago, XTreme said:

that was filmed about 10 mins from me Bates motorcycles, think they sell electric push bikes now 

:bike2:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Swagman said:

Looks like you could have benefitted from some of this standard of training then.😭😭

Unless they teach you how to race then probably not! Cos that's all I wanted to do.......besides show off to birds.

Guest Swagman

Unless they teach you how to race then probably not! Cos that's all I wanted to do.......besides show off to birds.

Sounds like those birds could have been vultures.😀

Guest Swagman

I do think they need more training these days than we had in the 70s because of all the modern day traffic, plus a lot more ass holes driving cars so they need a lot of awareness about them, but I don’t think doing a CBT every two years is needed it is basic training and if you have been riding for two years then you don’t need a basic course it should be a one off.

Edited by Swagman

15 hours ago, dynax said:

Here you are @gymwitch the mod 1 layout so if you feel like it you can set up your own practice course in a car park somewhere, and the mod 2 questions what you might get asked :thumb:

module2questions.pdf 216.92 kB · 0 downloads

module1diagrams.pdf 621.03 kB · 3 downloads

Ahhh thanks !!! 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, learningtofly said:

I think the key to Mod 1 is staying calm. And just think... if someone offered you the opportunity to play safely with a large bike on a test pad you'd jump at the chance.

In comparison, Mod 2 is just a nice ride-out with another bike. Good luck, you're nearly there.

Thats true. I get to use an mt07 for both bits and it is a lovely bike !!! Its just the bloody u turn...its got in my head that i cant do it in the tiny space...i know its not a tiny space 🤣

24 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

Thats true. I get to use an mt07 for both bits and it is a lovely bike !!! Its just the bloody u turn...its got in my head that i cant do it in the tiny space...i know its not a tiny space 🤣

Try this, it might help. If you're doing a u turn to the right shift your ass all the way to the left side of the seat. If you're doing a u turn to the left shift your ass all the way to the right. It'll keep your body more upright and let you turn the bars further without feeling like the bike is going to drop. And always look ahead in the direction you want to go.

• Like 1