Insurance gotcha

bonio

A bit of background to this: I took out insurance with protected NCD from Bikesure. Bike was stolen, all settled and paid out by the end of August. No complaints.

Today I phoned them asking for a proof of NCD, which I need for the insurance on the new bike. It went a bit like this

- I'm after proof of no claims discount on my policy

- Oh no sir, sorry, but the policy is still active.

- What? But you paid out after the bike was stolen and never recovered. It was a total write off claim

- Sorry sir, we don't have any record of you phoning to ask us to cancel the policy

- But I phoned you last week to ask for a quote using the NCD, saying that the policy will have been cancelled automatically. And the person looked up the policy and said fine

- One minute sir while I put you on hold

** long wait **

- Excuse me sir, can I ask you wait a bit longer?

- Sure of course, no problem

** another long wait **

- Well I can see that you called for a quote, but I have no record of you asking for the policy to be cancelled

- But I did mention the policy being cancelled, and if you doubt me you can go and listen to the recording of the call

- Yes but you didn't mention using the NCD

- But I did, and you can listen to recording of the call now and avoid any doubt

- Er.. No problem sir, I can cancel the policy, backdated to date you called

Frustrating, but I was lucky I'd called them last week. The lesson is, the next time my bike's stolen or written off, once the claim's settled, call the insurer one more time and cancel the policy.

Guest Swagman

That’s a strange one I thought once they paid out a full claim the insurance was auto cancelled as the vehicle it applied to was no longer on the road, maybe each insurance company operates differently.

I had a car written off about 10 years ago. They paid out, I bought a new car and they covered that until the end of the policy.

Why cancel the policy just ask them to insure your new bike? It sounds like you are complaining because you want to go to the expense of buying a new policy rather than just carrying on with the current one.

I had a car written off about 10 years ago. They paid out, I bought a new car and they covered that until the end of the policy.

Why cancel the policy just ask them to insure your new bike? It sounds like you are complaining because you want to go to the expense of buying a new policy rather than just carrying on with the current one.

Does it work like that?? So I've just shelled out £200 on insurance when I only needed to pay whatever for changing the bike? I knew I was a bit daft, but I guess I've taken it to new levels. :shock:

I had a whole week of being more profoundly stupid than normal: yesterday, I was sent away from the pharmacy with a flea in my ear because the prepayment card I showed the lady had expired. And when tried to buy a new one online the site didn't let me, saying I already had "access to free NHS services" whatever that's supposed to mean. It's only when mrs bonio hands me my prepayment card today that I realised what I'd shown to pharmacist was my YHA membership card. Funny thing is, I'd been using the same card all year to collect my prescriptions.

Wondering if I should just sign myself into a care home now and be done with it.

Guest Richzx6r

Does it work like that?? So I've just shelled out £200 on insurance when I only needed to pay whatever for changing the bike? I knew I was a bit daft, but I guess I've taken it to new levels. :shock:

I had a whole week of being more profoundly stupid than normal: yesterday, I was sent away from the pharmacy with a flea in my ear because the prepayment card I showed the lady had expired. And when tried to buy a new one online the site didn't let me, saying I already had "access to free NHS services" whatever that's supposed to mean. It's only when mrs bonio hands me my prepayment card today that I realised what I'd shown to pharmacist was my YHA membership card. Funny thing is, I'd been using the same card all year to collect my prescriptions.

Wondering if I should just sign myself into a care home now and be done with it.

By sounds of it you would be better off getting one of us to do it for you :roll:

I'll visit you in the care home, [strikeout] really only so I can convince your addling mind to sign that beautiful mv over to my ownership.[/strikeout] er to wish you well and bring you choccies in the hope of a full recovery.

I'll visit you in the care home, [strikeout] really only so I can convince your addling mind to sign that beautiful mv over to my ownership.[/strikeout] er to wish you well and bring you choccies in the hope of a full recovery.

Ah that young goat, such a kind chap. Always remembers to pop in when he's passing. Makes me laugh - always asking for my autograph. Can't think why, I must be such a bore, but it's very flattering.

I did that as well. :thumb: