Engine just.. stopped?

softwarez

Cheers guys! :D

Right.. Just did a few odd bits today.. Spraying discoloured nuts n bolts etc.. lol! :) Had some time to waste.

I was wondering.. I had a look in the repair manual and I couldnt find any information on what to do when replacing the cylinder and piston. What i mean by that is (I can fit it all etc, no problems) just.. Should i dab any special all around the parts before hand? Put afew drops of anything on the con-rod, cylinder etc etc? Im not sure.. Maybe i should just syringe afew drops of 2stroke in there? Ideas guys? Cheers.

(Tomorrows the big day!)

Edit: Remember i emptied all the oil out? (Not sure which part of the engine it is called..) But it has the dipstick and is at the very bottom...

I'm not sure what oil to put back in.. Any ideas? Here is a image i have from the manual. Thanks. :)

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2804/oilad7.jpg

5w 40

Ah, great stuff, thought so :)! So it has to be 4 stroke right? Confusing since a two stroke bike... What is the reason for this? Cheers.

The moving diagram is nice also, thx :)

Edit: I have even more confusion now! I just looked at the Cagiva Planet Manual and it shows the Piston as having 2 Rings?? Both 91 version and 2001 version. Im confused as the piston i took out had only one ring?

5w 40

Ah, great stuff, thought so :)! So it has to be 4 stroke right? Confusing since a two stroke bike... What is the reason for this? Cheers.

Edit: I have even more confusion now! I just looked at the Cagiva Planet Manual and it shows the Piston as having 2 Rings?? Both 91 version and 2001 version. Im confused as the piston i took out had only one ring?

The two stroke oil is only for mixing with the petrol and it helps lubricate the piston. The rest of the engine, crank, gearbox etc... use four stroke oil.

As for piston rings, well as long as you've ordered the right kit for your bike and year, then you'll be able to tell how many! :D

5w 40

The two stroke oil is only for mixing with the petrol and it helps lubricate the piston. The rest of the engine, crank, gearbox etc... use four stroke oil.

As for piston rings, well as long as you've ordered the right kit for your bike and year, then you'll be able to tell how many! :D

Yeah.. the only thing is I have already ordered the Flat top with 1 ring. As that is what i took out of the bike.. So i figured it goes back in! lol.. But all this two ring etc etc is getting me slightly nervous :) Hmmm..

Flat: (1 ring)

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/CAGIVA%20MITO%20MITAKA%20CYLINDER%20KIT%20FLAT%20TOP.jpg

Dome: (2 ring)

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/CAGIVA%20MITO%20MITAKA%20CYLINDER%20DOME%20TOP.jpg

Theres one with two (domed) and 1 (flat) the one i took out of my bike is flat with 1 ring.

I've read claims that one Pin has less drag than two, hence slightly increasing RPM at lower revs..?

go for the 1 ring

yeah, i thought since a 1 pin came out.. I might as well buy a 1 pin to go back in! :) So it will be here tomorrow... Cant wait to see the results! Hope it works :(

Yes it includes the barrel.. piston.. rings.. gaskets.. the bearing for the top of the conrod.. So its like a full top end rebuild (i think thats what its called)

Okay, I have a few questions before i crack on tomorrow! :)

1. Conrod area how is this lubricated? via 2stroke or shares the engine/transmission 4stroke 5w-40?

2. Should i carefully lubricate 2stroke onto the cylinder walls and piston (lightly with my finger)

Really appreciate this guys!!

Yes it includes the barrel.. piston.. rings.. gaskets.. the bearing for the top of the conrod.. So its like a full top end rebuild (i think thats what its called)

Okay, I have a few questions before i crack on tomorrow! :)

1. Conrod area how is this lubricated? via 2stroke or shares the engine/transmission 4stroke 5w-40?

2. Should i carefully lubricate 2stroke onto the cylinder walls and piston (lightly with my finger)

Really appreciate this guys!!

can you get 5w-40 if so yes it will work

Yeah, thats what I would do

1. Conrod area lubricate with engine/transmission 4stroke 5w-40

2. 2 stroke onto the cylinder walls and piston (lightly with my finger)

Great stuff guys, Cheers! :D Dont know what i would do without ya :wink:

Gonna get some sleep and have a go at it tomorrow when the rebuilt kit arrives. Cheers! :)

How much should i lubricate the Conrod area? I.E before i put the cylinder ontop etc. Should i do it lightly with my finger also or..? (I'll check back in the morning, thx mate :) )

Not really sure, I guess the engine will lubricate it once its going so perhaps just a bit with your finger will be okay, then again even if you drowned it in oil it 'probably' wouldn't do any harm.

Not really sure, I guess the engine will lubricate it once its going so perhaps just a bit with your finger will be okay, then again even if you drowned it in oil it 'probably' wouldn't do any harm.
no not really

Okay, I need to buy some 4 stroke 5w-40 today to fill the bike back up with! now.. Im a little confused.. is 4 stroke the same as 'normal' oil, aka the stuff i would use in a car? or is it very specific like the 2 stroke is? Thanks.

Don't listen to Johns, he's been popping pills again!

5w 40 is 4 stroke oil, just like what you put in your car. Two stroke oil that gets mixed with your petrol is probably a lot thinner.