Gearbox mystery .

fastbob

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this ? Someone I know is building an ER5 . They said that it refused to go into third gear so they split the cases and discovered that one of the cogs was " the wrong way round " so they corrected the fault . The result is that they now have a fully functioning ONE UP , FIVE DOWN gearbox . Now bear in mind that the ER5 engine is derived from the EX500 / GPZ500 series . Is it possible that Kawasaki designed it this way so that it would easily convert to a race bike ? I can provide more details if needed . So , as I say , has anyone heard of something like this before . ( And before anyone mentions it , it is NOT my bike . ) 

37 minutes ago, Stu said:

You can adjust the gear linkage on a lot of bikes so it works this way 

It hasn't got a gear linkage nor is the lever on backwards . 

Edited by fastbob

Hi @fastbob, I believe I'm right in saying if you had a engine out of the frame, or even in frame, if you were checking the  gearbox to see if it works, you would normally turn the selector shaft anti clockwise!

Which is the way most Gearbox's work, ie the GPZ500, you put your foot on lever and it moves shaft in a anti-clockwise action.

On the ER5/6 the gear-lever faces backwards, and direct to shaft so when you put it down for first, the selector shaft goes Clockwise the opposite way, I don't think there are many engines build like this, but hey I maybe wrong!!

So if you were checking it out of frame etc, you would mistakenly think you had a upside down box ie 1 up and 5 down.

I know you said he had lever fitted but that's the way I see it.

But yes be interested otherwise!

Two almost-but-not-quite related things maybe? If a cog was in backwards surely all that would happen is that the dogs wouldn't be able to engage properly. Sort of like having two male ended connectors. 

18 minutes ago, smallfrowne said:

Two almost-but-not-quite related things maybe? If a cog was in backwards surely all that would happen is that the dogs wouldn't be able to engage properly. Sort of like having two male ended connectors. 

I quite agree . 

16 hours ago, oldgrump said:

Hi @fastbob, I believe I'm right in saying if you had a engine out of the frame, or even in frame, if you were checking the  gearbox to see if it works, you would normally turn the selector shaft anti clockwise!

Which is the way most Gearbox's work, ie the GPZ500, you put your foot on lever and it moves shaft in a anti-clockwise action.

On the ER5/6 the gear-lever faces backwards, and direct to shaft so when you put it down for first, the selector shaft goes Clockwise the opposite way, I don't think there are many engines build like this, but hey I maybe wrong!!

So if you were checking it out of frame etc, you would mistakenly think you had a upside down box ie 1 up and 5 down.

I know you said he had lever fitted but that's the way I see it.

But yes be interested otherwise!

The guy is riding the bike and he insists that it's one up five down with the standard backwards facing lever .