Linking rear brake to work via thumb lever and foot pedal.

cyclingwilly

Good afternoon all, I've done a few lessons on my bike, but with me being a right leg below knee amputee, I'm having problems operating the rear brake, I can use it with my prostheic, but keep forgetting to lift it off the pedal and thus the brake light will be on until I move my foot and because I'm not sure where my foot is positioned, I find myself looking down to my right side regularly to see where it is and this is frowned upon

Several years ago I had a thumb brake made to go on my 600 Bandit and it worked perfectly, I also had the rear pedal assembly removed to stop me touching it acccidentaly.  Because my mate is insured and uses my bike, I wonder if it's possible to have a system made were the thumb brake and rear brake can be in situ, but also operate independently, that way, I can use the thumb and my mate can use the brake pedal as normal?

Does anyone already manufacture a linked unit or can anyone make one for me?

A guy at work fitted a thumb rear handbrake to one one his bikes , when he was two up he wanted to have both feet on the floor for stability when stationary but still the ability to stop the bike rolling without juggling the front brake and throttle.

He used a caliper from a linked system bike and rigged it so the middle piston was was on the thumb and the outer piston was on the back brake as normal.

I remember Honda and Guzzi had a dual linked braking system many years ago. I was a member of NABD a few years ago, but they told me they couldn't help me with what I required, so I asked on Facecloth and a guy got in touch and made me a thumb brake to operate the rear brake. He's no longer on there and I cannot remember his name or contact details.

I understand that it might not be possible to join brake pipes together as when either lever is used, it would push the fluid into the reservoir that doesn't have any pressure applied to it and it's not possible to fit a non return valve.

I'll keep looking.

Thank you.

Alan.

1 hour ago, Bender said:

It would solve the problem for most riding situations as he wouldn't have to think about the rear brake. 

I thought the problem was wanting to have both feet on the ground and avoiding having to juggle the throttle and front brake lever. A linked system won’t change that. 

4 minutes ago, DuRavary said:

I thought the problem was wanting to have both feet on the ground and avoiding having to juggle the throttle and front brake lever. A linked system won’t change that. 

No the problem is that they find their right leg rests on the rear brake and as it is a prosthetic they are not aware of it ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could do it hydraulically or, if you're only really using it when stationary, you could rig a cable to the original lever up to a thumb lever on a handlebar.

The cable option would be considerably easier and cheaper.