Suspension Servicing

Fish

OK, so on this side of servicing I'm a complete novice. I know what the manual tells me, but with my being a 2017 and unknown service history other than dealer stamps in a booklet, would it be worth having someone way more knowledgable than myself checking it over and maybe giving the fronts at least an oil change? 

41 minutes ago, Fish said:

OK, so on this side of servicing I'm a complete novice. I know what the manual tells me, but with my being a 2017 and unknown service history other than dealer stamps in a booklet, would it be worth having someone way more knowledgable than myself checking it over and maybe giving the fronts at least an oil change? 

It's quite doable DIY. I did it first time earlier this year on an sv650. I did oil  bushes and seals. The oil that came out was minging.  I'd assume with unknown service history it probably hasn't been done.

9 hours ago, Breezin said:

Tell us more...

I've used oil extraction pumps for years for car oil changes. I change the oil every 5-6k so it makes it quick, simple and clean.

For bike forks you only need a small one. Take the top nuts off, drop the extraction tube down as far as it will go, pump the handle a few times and the oil is drained out of the forks.

Purists might moan you don't get every drop out but since it's such a quick and simple way to drain the fork oil you can do it more frequently.

To refill use a measuring probe with a syringe. It allows you to experiment with how you prefer the suspension to feel. The manufacturer's recommendation is a base line to play with.

Doing it this way you can also play around with different oils and viscosities to see what works for you without needing to dismantle everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oil change on forks used to be easy as there was a drain screw in the bottom of the forks (80's bikes).

Current bikes don't have drain screws so more work involved for an oil change, if you need new seals its a strip down job anyway.

Vacuum pump is one way, but it may not get the worst of the dirty oil out of the bottom.

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I've used oil extraction pumps for years for car oil changes. I change the oil every 5-6k so it makes it quick, simple and clean.

For bike forks you only need a small one. Take the top nuts off, drop the extraction tube down as far as it will go, pump the handle a few times and the oil is drained out of the forks.

Purists might moan you don't get every drop out but since it's such a quick and simple way to drain the fork oil you can do it more frequently.

To refill use a measuring probe with a syringe. It allows you to experiment with how you prefer the suspension to feel. The manufacturer's recommendation is a base line to play with.

Doing it this way you can also play around with different oils and viscosities to see what works for you without needing to dismantle everything. 

sounds like a good idea i might get one 

15 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Just use a large syringe 

Fine for fettling the levels but you wouldn't want to drain the forks that way. Vacuum pumps are so handy it's worth investing in one. Mine is a 10 litre one for trucks, you'd only need a small one for fork oil.

They are cheaper to buy via marine suppliers than automotive factors.

• Like 1