Stolen Motorbike - Insurance not responding...

Kubo

Hello, 

Looking for a quick bit of advice...

So I have recently got my motorbike stolen, it was missing for a few days but eventually got recovered (I assume they didn't find the rider).

The Police actually seen him several times and "tried" to stop him but failed... probably realised sirens don't work and gave up 🤤

Regardless it got recovered and is not sitting in storage, I got a letter I need to collect it or there will be charges.

Although the problem is I already sent away my keys to my insurance "Markerstudy" which is absolute trash, can't get a hold of them, hours on hold and still no answer. 

Therefore I am stuck and I'm not really to sure what to do, I heard that once they have the keys it is technically their property although can anyone with more knowledge of such things confirm this? 

Cheers.

33 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

If you have recovery get them to pick it up from the pound and drop it off to you. Doesn't matter who has the keys I presume you are the registered keeper and also the lawful owner? 

That is correct I am the owner, however I already sent away all documents that prove ownership and they are required when collecting. Judging by the awful reviews online the insurance company is most likely going to take a few months to even respond.

Not to mention the charges for drop off that currently would be a difficulty. From what I understand the owner pays it off first and then the insurance refunds you, again probably months down the line. 

Thanks for your response though, I'll probably call up recovery and see what they say.

This is what happened when my bike was nicked in 2020. Given the police report, they accepted the claim and asked for the purchase receipt, V5 and pics. Then for the keys. Then we settled a price. Then they paid out. But the whole process only took a couple of weeks. Keep someone strung along for months isn't on.

Bit surprised really, as Markerstudy were the underwriters for my insurance too.

Might be worth a letter or email then a complaint to the ombudsman if no joy. I had issues with quote me happy {I wasn't happy} in 2013 after an rtc they tried to claim was knock for knock. They never resolved. The claim but every time I complained they bunged me £100 each time promised to look into it and didn't. £400 quid better off and 3 years later I had an out of the blue letter with a cheque for £350 saying they reviewed the matter and I was not blame worthy bizarre but all worked out in the end. V frustrating the whole insurance industry I find

I had a similar experience years ago except I had personally recovered the bike and had it stored at home. Fortunately I had sent them a letter saying I would store the bike free of charge for four weeks. When the insurance company procrastinated in settling things I was able to send them a bill for storage for every day over the initial four week period.

Strangely that got their attention and they both coughed up for the bike and paid the bill for storage.

If they don't respond then as above get the ombudsman involved. I've found that works very well.

• 2 weeks later...